Diesel Particulate Filter flange?

crashman

Hi
I just got my sprinter back from the dealer, i was supposed to be in for a 100,000 mile check up and recall but they just did a oil change, anyway they told me the Diesel Particulate Filter flange was bad and coming apart. in fact the service guy said the screen around the outside is what is mostly holding it together. I have a extended warranty and the filter is covered HOWEVER they do not cover the FLANGE which from what I understand is in the middle of the filter. The service guy said I should call the corporate number and see if I can get them to cover it.
Is this something that can be replaced by me? or does it require special tools only at Mercedes?
thanks to anyone that has any info

D

Deleted member 50714

Pictures? Isn't the flange an integral component of DPF?

Rob S

2018 Navion 24G IQ on 2016 Sprinter
According to your profile, seems you have the 4-cylinder???

If so, I'm thinking he means the troublesome support bracket, which many have initially refused to cover, and according to other posts on this forum, have eventually agreed is part of the emissions system.

If the thing falls off, it won't do its job now will it??? You can search the forum for numerous posts on this subject.

Definitely pursue warranty on this.

lindenengineering

The flange and convoluted flex neck are "one" with the carcass of the DPF.
The crack starts at the convolutions aft of the flange !
Yes the mounting DPF band clamp can crack making things worse.
It seems extended off road /rustic dirt road use accelerates the failure incidence enormously from what I/We have seen so far.

Also while I am on this exhaust subject on 4 bangers, the exhaust manifold has "5 cylinder" distortion issues just the same with the screech at mid range when hot on medium power delivery. Owners think its the accessory fan belt /pulleys as being faulty. (PERO QUE NO SENORES!)
Its an exhaust leak.
So far we have just replaced the manifold and studs to fix.
So check yours for leaks in the offing.

Dennis

crashman

The flange and convoluted flex neck are "one" with the carcass of the DPF.
The crack starts at the convolutions aft of the flange !
Yes the mounting DPF band clamp can crack making things worse.
It seems extended off road /rustic dirt road use accelerates the failure incidence enormously from what I/We have seen so far.

Also while I am on this exhaust subject on 4 bangers, the exhaust manifold has "5 cylinder" distortion issues just the same with the screech at mid range when hot on medium power delivery. Owners think its the accessory fan belt /pulleys as being faulty. (PERO QUE NO SENORES!)
Its an exhaust leak.
So far we have just replaced the manifold and studs to fix.
So check yours for leaks in the offing.

Dennis
Thanks for all the responses
My van is used for service and only driven by me so I can say a gravel road is about all the off roading I have done and I do go slowly
I am wondering
I have had a vibration from new would that cause this to crack?
even though Mercedes says the vibration is normal

kevinatmbz

Check the bracket that bolts dpf filter body to transmission housing for cracking, there is an updated bracket that is held on by 4 bolts instead of 2 like original design.

pfflyer

I had a similar issue with a cracked DPF bracket. Dealer said I could take it up with MB USA and MB USA said it is the dealers discretion. After some arguing they replaced the bracket with no labor which was about half of the original quote I believe. What a deal. Others here on the forum have said they got theirs replaced under warranty and the bracket was/is a known design flaw. That was my last visit to that dealer.

D

Deleted member 50714

WIS has been updated related to proper DPF sequence of installation. Failure to follow sequence may result in stress inducing pre-load upon DPF and related components. Refer to WIS for details.

srt4ny

They are talking about the flex pipe it has like a mash screen around it and its very common for those to brake

D

Deleted member 50714

I haven't looked but isn't there two, FWD and AFT? If the FWD flex joint fails, it could potentially wipe-out the main harness.

Attachments

crashman

I called Mercedes and they told me the executive warranty person would call me
A guy called me today and said they may be able to give me a discount on the repair I again told him it was like saying if this was a pencil they would be covering the eraser and point but not the center! I am waiting for the next call back

crashman

So I have been talking with Mercedes
the guy I spoke with called back and sounded different in his tone, he told me "well the dpf is not under warranty since i am over 100,000 so it didn't matter about the flange" I said I think it was under when I brought it in the first time and he just said it didn't matter it wasn't covered and i would get a call from the dealer to see if they could help. I figured i was out of luck.
I get a call from the service manager at Westminster Mercedes saying he was following this and he wanted to help me out. I wasn't expecting anything big but he said they would just have me pay for the labor I was shocked when he said it would only be $570!
I know someone else said this happened to them but I usually don't have this kind of luck so I was waiting for it to actually go through and it did!! :clapping:
I got the van back and it has noticeably more power! I don't know why but I'm not complaining.
I guess there was more wrong with it than they thought

Top Bottom