Turbo Rebuild

Anyone find a good rebuild kit? I see one from rotomaster on rock auto for pretty cheap, just wondering if there was a more reputable rebuild kit option

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Generally speaking there are only the el-cheapo cartridge kits (some folks say they work okay). On the other end of the spectrum or OE rebuilt garrets, and new garrets. There are a few sites with decent pricing on the rebuilt units. XS-Boost comes to mind?

Understand... it was more of a preventative maintenance measure so I would not have to buy a rebuilt unit. But gaskets are pretty hard to mess up so I guess Ill give the rotomaster a go.

Rebuilding a turbocharger is not preventive maintenance. If you don't have a turbocharger failure, just keep your money in your pocket.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
It's possible to visually inspect the turbo. Failure of the bearings is essentially the only common failure.

The OE turbos often last 400 or more thousand miles I think its foolish to rebuild an OE quality part with aftermarket bits when it is functioning perfectly fine.

Last edited:
The other day It wasn't working so I was getting pretty pissed living in Colorado and having to go up hills. Thought I'd just rebuild it so I wouldn't have anymore issues... but its working now again. Maybe it was due to the leaking oil hoses?

and thanks for the advice I think I'll just leave it.

lindenengineering

I think you need some accurate diagnosis first!

As for Colorado, I think this is a lovely place, having lived and worked in some of the filthiest capitals of the world.

Dennis

Top Bottom