PDA

View Full Version : Random Bucking/hesitation and stalls when stopping

Ultimat777
06-29-2019, 03:29 AM
T1n 2005 dodge sprinter 200k
I think it started when one day check engine light came on for crank position sensor..changed the sensor and light went away. But problem persists..not sure if related
I will randomly get surging idle. And occasionally the van will completely stall out when I am coming to a stop or going very slow. Like on a 3 point turn, when hitting brake and switchi ng from drive to reverse it vise versa. Not necessarily when changing gears, just going that slow. Also want to note that every once in a while. When at these extremely slow speeds, less then 1 mile per hour, when parking or 3 pont turn. I will lose brakes completely, only at less then 1 mile an hour.
Now my main problem. I get this constant hesitation when driving. Feels like someone is pulling up the e brake repeatedly while I'm driving. It goes away at WOT. It isnt always there. But there often. And when it's happening, it's happening often. It has happened on WOT, but usually not. It happens when I'm accelerating slowly or just driving down highway. best way I can explain is someone playing with brake. I dont hear anything. Just weird hesitation/bucking..maybe missing? Idk so friggin annoying tho. Need help. No check engine lights. Been through multiple tanks of gas. Let go of gas and dont notice anything whole coasting. Scan guage doesnt pick up on anything happening out of ordinary. Help please

Brokecanadian
06-29-2019, 06:31 PM
That's an interesting way of describing it.

I might have some similar symptoms. But your description of losing brakes - really losing, or stomping with both feet gets a result?

It will sure feel like no brakes with a vaccum pump failure. Alternatively, a huge vaccuum leak for the brake booster.

Surging may be unrelated. I'd start by making sure the vaccuum pump and brake booster were not leaking

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

BrennWagon
06-29-2019, 06:35 PM
This sounds to me like either a vacuum or electrical issue but the loss of brakes makes me lean more towards a vacuum leak. Check for cracks in the lines. It’s probably going to be something small and obnoxious. Good luck

Aqua Puttana
06-29-2019, 06:44 PM
You may have more than one problem.

The stall and stopping would have me checking the EGR.

The other symptoms could be vacuum related.

There's lots of other possibilities though.

:cheers: vic

Midwestdrifter
06-29-2019, 10:27 PM
I would check the wiring harness just because.

Was the crank sensor a bosch or aftermarket? The aftermarket ones have been known to have issues.

Ultimat777
06-29-2019, 10:34 PM
Yes, it is pretty much loss of brakes. I will stomp and just keep going, with about 1% of braking power. This does not Happen often, but has happened a couple times randomly. Scares me a little if I'm heading toward a car. I would only tap it, because I am going so slow, But still.
As far as the egr. I have a tune, so I think egr has been disabled.

The real issue I want resolved is the hesitation/bucking issue. It's really annoying and very frequent. The brake issue may be different, but I think the stalling issue is related. When it is...surging( I guess), and I'm coming to a stop, only when coming to a stop, if it surges at that moment. I'll stall. Never while driving. But when I am driving it's just constantly got that feeling of someone playing with the ebrake. Then it might go away for a little bit, then come back. And weird that it usually will go away if I go wide open throttle. But every once in a while it will hiccup if I mash it. But not constantly. Jist once or twice real quick.
Very weird, and very annoying while driving. Sometimes it will keep stalling when I'm doing something like a 3 point turn. Like every time I come to stop, or come to stop and them go to go again. And I'll stall 3-4 times trying to make the turn. I feel as though this happens if the surging is happening while trying to make the turn. Or get ready to go at green light.

Ultimat777
06-29-2019, 10:36 PM
Crank sensor was a Bosch. I had trouble getting it in all the way. Wasnt 100% sure that it was all the way in. Maybe 90-95% and I screwed it in to fasten it. Got under to look the other day. And its definitely all the way in now if it wasnt.

Midwestdrifter
06-29-2019, 10:39 PM
Tunes don't stop EGRs from mechanically failing.

What you are describing sounds like ESP/ABS activation. Does the ASR warning light flash on the dash when this happens? Can you hear/feel the ABS pump working?

You need to get a sprinter compatible scanner on the van, and monitor the live data. Specifically the ESP/ABS module, cause it sounds like you have some strange stuff going on.

Ultimat777
06-29-2019, 10:41 PM
No lights flash. Dont hear or feel anything. Wish I could get one of those DAD scanners...

BrennWagon
06-29-2019, 10:42 PM
The brakes would be my first concern. Vacuum leak issues usually present themselves at low rpm and without good vacuum pressure the brake booster can’t do its job. If you can’t stop it won’t matter how smoothly your engine’s running. I’ve experienced brake failure before, it’s not something you want to roll the dice with. Good luck 👍

Midwestdrifter
06-29-2019, 10:45 PM
The sprinters vacuum pump should work fine as long as the engine is running. The system (assuming no leaks) will have enough vacuum stored for 2 brake applications.

The MD802/808 and several other scanners are not very expensive, and provide all the live data and code reading you need. There was a recent ~70$ wireless scanner dongle that was getting good reviews in the scanner subforum.

Ultimat777
06-29-2019, 10:47 PM
I hear you on that. and it is something I want resolved. It's just that it happens very randomly, maybe 4-5 times in 10k miles. And only at SUPER slow speed. Like not on the gas at all, just rolling with foot off brake/gas. I do believe it has something to do with vacuum leak/brake booster. I'll have a look at the lines and see what I can find
The other issue is just so annoying and now so frequent it makes driving unpleasant.

Ultimat777
06-29-2019, 10:50 PM
Oo..thank you on the scanner recommendation. I do have a scanner. It's one of those $100 autozone scanners, just have no idea how to use it other then check engine lights.

Midwestdrifter
06-29-2019, 10:57 PM
The sprinter isn't fully OBDII compliant, so a sprinter specific unit is required. Thankfully they are not terribly expensive.

Ultimat777
06-30-2019, 02:05 AM
Ha..just threw a code...p0182. It did this once before and went away. It's a weird code...P0182 CNG Temp Sensor Voltage Too Low
It stalled on me when I stopped. Started it up and had this code.

Cheyenne
06-30-2019, 09:10 AM
No lights flash. Dont hear or feel anything. Wish I could get one of those DAD scanners...

You don't necessarily need a DAD!

There are many other Sprinter capable scanners out there can help diagnose your troubles such as the Autel MD802, MD808 or the new AP200 Bluetooth dongle, or the iCarSoft MBII. Read the scanners sub forum for more info.

Keith.

Edit: Sorry but hadn't read page 2 before I posted.

Autel interprets the P0182 code as "Fuel Temperature Sensor A Circuit Low"

Ultimat777
07-02-2019, 03:02 PM
I have the innova 3040d scanner. Is this compatible?

Nautamaran
07-02-2019, 03:45 PM
It doesn’t list “Sprinter” in the manual, so I doubt you’ll have much coverage beyond the engine module’s EPA-mandated data.
The Sprinter’s modules are scattered across 7 different pins of the data port, and the tool needs to be programmed to find it.
The Autel AP200 dongle and smart phone app gives you a lot of bang for around US$60.

(I too am guessing that your EGR is stuck open...

-dave

Cheyenne
07-02-2019, 04:52 PM
It doesn’t list “Sprinter” in the manual, so I doubt you’ll have much coverage beyond the engine module’s EPA-mandated data.
The Sprinter’s modules are scattered across 7 different pins of the data port, and the tool needs to be programmed to find it.
The Autel AP200 dongle and smart phone app gives you a lot of bang for around US$60.

(I too am guessing that your EGR is stuck open...

-dave

Currently US$35 if you act quickly!!!

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77330

Keith.

Ultimat777
07-02-2019, 07:34 PM
Alright, I'm gonna look into the egr being the problem. Just pull it off and clean it? Or get a new one? I obviously need to read more about this, but a quick search and read didnt give me an answer for how to clean. Can I just spray it down with brake cleaner.

Ultimat777
07-02-2019, 07:45 PM
This $35 thing will give me live data?

Midwestdrifter
07-02-2019, 07:56 PM
Yeah, that's what folks report over in the scanner section.

Cheyenne
07-02-2019, 07:58 PM

As long as you've got a smartphone to load the app and connect via bluetooth.

Nautamaran
07-03-2019, 12:44 AM

Mine works like a charm.
Even connects to my Espar boost heater, which my MD-802 doesn’t even do.
NOTE: the vehicle package is “Benz-Sprinter”, not Dodge/Chrysler/Freightliner/ etc...

-dave