PDA

View Full Version : New Sprinter owner.. N.C

Cwhite87
06-28-2019, 08:11 AM
Hello I just picked up a 2005 freight-liner 158, 2wd, 2500HC T1N,

Mileage was a little high, @ 391K but the owner had a list of stuff that was replaced. So far I love it! I bought it to haul my track bike in a enclosed environment. and a weekend warrior to take off to the beach or mountains I hope to make it better, and really enjoy it. I have been prowling the forum looking for answers.
I plan on taking to Dok A with in the next month as hes only 4 hours away. Gotta make sure the bones are good before i start the conversion.

Couple things I found;

So I have been a ford 7.3 guy for a while and they have a distinct knock on the bottom end. I feeling this has somewhat of a knock but in not a inline 5 guy so im not sure I can try to post video later.

I found oil in the elephant trunk and in from the intake to the MAF. does any one have the part number to the o-ring and if I replace it will that fix the cause?

I pulled the cover on top and saw what seemed to be the re-menaces of black death, owner told me injectors were replaced at 375k, what have been yalls best luck for cleaning the hard caked gunk of the engine?

The Central locking system tends to act up. Twice now since I purchased it. Its like most of the time I will lock the door with the key and you here all the locks work but if I happen to open the passenger door one day and shut it. it will bounce back. if I press the lock button the door doesn't make a sound and I send the next 30 mins trying to get the door to latch. Once it does I hit the button in the center of the dash or insert key and turn on drivers door and it suddenly works again, any ideas?

Any other motorcycle/ track day enthusiast in here. curious as to setups most ive seen are mountain bikers. there rigs are nicely set up. cant pull the bike out that easily at 420 lbs curb weight.

My Van came with 2 manual sunroofs i dont know if thats standard but they were both leaking. The front one tighten up and the rear I had to remove and go to a glass shop and get some Sikaflex P2P cold apply adhesive. sealed up nicely.

I think for the money i got a decent deal i still need to address:

Glow plug relay, getting some fault codes

Rear pinion whine, both drive and coast whines. drive at highway coast at low speed.

Has a wrap that needs to be removed so i can get some body work addressed. i have
bubbles in multiple spots

the dreaded stairwell rust spots. < underneath is pretty clean >

harmonic balancer, been doing the little check ive seen posted

Look forward to hearing from yall. :rad:

Midwestdrifter
06-28-2019, 12:38 PM
A light tapping at cold idle is not abnormal. Actual knocking is bad mojo. Check the oil under a magnifying glass, any metal? Oil filter look good?

Knocking can also be a failing injector. Is the idle rough? Black smoke?

lye containing oven cleaner works on the BD carbon. It can damage aluminum, so you need to be careful.

Replaced injectors are not always the best quality (sometimes they are just used!). Dr A should be able to give you an idea of the engines health.

drewwillgetyou
06-28-2019, 06:11 PM
What part of NC are you at?

Midwestdrifter
06-28-2019, 06:16 PM
I just noticed NC in the post title. If you are near Charlotte, I have a scanner if you need a quick look. I would suggest buying one yourself, as they are not expensive, and will save you lots of time. Most generic OBDII scanners are not very useful on the sprinter.

Oil in the intake is fairly normal, it comes from the turbo seals, and the crankcase vent. If you have oil leaking from the intake to the exterior of the hoses, that means a boost leak. So you may have a cracked hose, bad O-ring, loose clamp etc.

Cwhite87
06-29-2019, 02:36 AM
Im From Greensboro,
I was in Concord today actually going to pick up a white hood and the address sent to this shady location. I was alone and didnt carry today so i left. Midwestdrifter that would be mighty nice of you. im pm availability this weekend.
I have a small pocket scanner im reading PO674, Cyl 4 Circuit open, PO671 Cyl 1 Circuit open, PO380 Heater Circuit. im thinking the Glow plug Control Module is going out i havent had a chance to pull it out yet to see if its burnt out. but if you have one of those nice ones ive seen in this forum ill drive up.
I really hope this engine noise is normal Mercedes I5 noise.
i poked around started pulling hoses. im not knowledgeable enough to know but its the hose that connect to the turbo compressor inlet hose on one end and the other towards the top of the engine. that sensor within that hose was oil soaked.
Engine idles well and it doesn't smoke at all.

Nautamaran
06-29-2019, 06:06 AM
That sensor ring (driver’s side, below radiator tank) holds the manifold air pressure (MAP) and intake air pressure sensors. It’s a common leak point, especially if the hose clamp is loose or stripped, or BOTH as mine were. My Dodge dealer can’t get the proper rolled-edge clamps anymore... and MB dealer was several weeks back-ordered, so I ended up padding a hardware store stainless clamp. Low Boost code solved.

-dave

locksmith72
06-29-2019, 10:15 AM
hey not far from me, happy to show some easy things tp do with the stepwells & the locks. on my second sprinter, had an 01, driving an 06 now bought both new . Have some great idea & even some bad ones LOL send me a private message if you want Joe

drewwillgetyou
06-29-2019, 01:53 PM
That sensor ring (driverís side, below radiator tank) holds the manifold air pressure (MAP) and intake air pressure sensors. Itís a common leak point, especially if the hose clamp is loose or stripped, or BOTH as mine were. My Dodge dealer canít get the proper rolled-edge clamps anymore... and MB dealer was several weeks back-ordered, so I ended up padding a hardware store stainless clamp. Low Boost code solved.

-dave

Most auto parts stores now sell t-bolt clamps, same thing thatís used on larger diesel trucks and boosted cars.

Cwhite87
06-30-2019, 11:23 PM
I just noticed NC in the post title. If you are near Charlotte, I have a scanner if you need a quick look. I would suggest buying one yourself, as they are not expensive, and will save you lots of time. Most generic OBDII scanners are not very useful on the sprinter.

[QUOTE=locksmith72;782062]hey not far from me, happy to show some easy things tp do with the stepwells & the locks. on my second sprinter, had an 01, driving an 06 now bought both new . Have some great idea & even some bad ones LOL send me a private message if you want Joe
PM Sent Locksmith, Pm sent Midwestdrifter