PDA

View Full Version : new sprinter owner, what's that sound?

cosman2001@mac.com
06-28-2019, 01:32 AM
Just bought a 2005 sprinter with 247K on the odometer and am now prepping it in Atlanta to take back to Oregon. I have driven it 1000 miles already to Atlanta and have some questions since I am new to the sprinter.

* Why does it stay in the gear for so long? Seems like I have to use the manual shift too much.
* Why does going uphill suck. Is there a boost leak? Is there a boost pressure gauge?
* What is that whining sound when I go under 20?
* What is the rotational chirping sound on right front wheel?
* Who designed these freaking locks? I decoded the locking clicks to mean:
* 1 mechanism click for already locked mode
* 2 mechanism clicks for it is unlocked mode
* 3 mechanism clicks for it wasn't locked so I locked it mode
* Note: remote button has nothing to do with above.
* How do I get cruise control installed?
* What kinds of seats can I put in here? Can I install from any vehicle?

Anything I should carry for my 3000 mile journey back to Oregon? Heading up the Highway 90 route to see the sites and graze with the buffalo.

NelsonSprinter
06-28-2019, 02:03 AM
It stays in gear so long because of the previous owner's driving style taught the Trans Control Module to change gears that way. You can re-teach it with a scanner learn-in process probably.

Going uphill would only suck if there is a turbo leak producing black smoke, or if the transmission isn't gearing down on steep climbs, or most injectors are worn.
Whining sound may be a worn driveshaft support bearing or dry differential gear
If the locks are not working as click on, click off, then a door closed sensor may have corroded contacts. It's telling you that it thinks a door isn't closed and hence your vehicle may not be secure with a door open/unlocked

Nautamaran
06-28-2019, 05:25 AM
Yes, boost pressure (Manifold minus Ambient pressure) is available as an SAE PId from the engine control module. An Elm OBDII dongle should send it to a smartphone app, or for around $50 you can get an Autel AP200 dongle and the Autel Maxi-AP200 smartphone app, plus their “Benz-Sprinter” vehicle package. This connects to every module in my 2004 van. :thumbup:
(though it admittedly doesn’t see “all” the live data, it sees a good amount... certainly enough to justify the cost)

Watching LOD and Boost on SAE live data should tell you if the ECM is happy. An intake/turbo hose or resonator leak will cause the ECM to shut off the turbo (you’ll see 95% turbo actuator duty on an Autel live data screen, and near zero boost on an SAE scan)

-dave

Midwestdrifter
06-28-2019, 12:40 PM
Sounds like you are in no-boost LHM. This can be caused by a number of things. Its also likely the reason your shifting is strange. Get it scanned. If you don't have a sprinter compatible scanner, buy one.

obie
06-28-2019, 01:22 PM
Where in Atlanta? Maybe I can help out.

Fletch9871
06-28-2019, 01:40 PM
PM'd you back about possibly cloning a key. If that works out I have a Mercedes specific scanner.

Keep rolling...Chris