PDA

View Full Version : Mystery wire under the passenger seat

billintomahawk
06-28-2019, 01:45 AM
Hey guys,
What the heck is it?

Getting ready for a solar install...AGM battery under the seat.
But what's this strange looking wire?

https://photos.smugmug.com/Sprinter-build-3-Repurpose-van/i-p5z2Xpb/0/d52722ee/XL/IMG_6589-XL.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Sprinter-build-3-Repurpose-van/i-JC6LwF8/0/f8537ba8/XL/IMG_6590-XL.jpg

This bolt looks like good ground?

https://photos.smugmug.com/Sprinter-build-3-Repurpose-van/i-kmCwNtx/0/87bf96e5/XL/IMG_6591-XL.jpg

And this looks like a way to run a wire out.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Sprinter-build-3-Repurpose-van/i-m9mMdMq/0/0920bf95/XL/IMG_6592-XL.jpg
Weird little plug.

bill in tomahawk

Skippy and Emu
06-28-2019, 02:03 AM
Looks like it may be the cable which goes to the seatbelt squib actuator, located in the B pillar. It is part of the SRS system. Not a cable you want to mess with !

BrennWagon
06-28-2019, 02:05 AM
That weird little plug is for a battery drain tube. Any of the pedestal bolts would be fine for a ground with good cleaning. I made a bushing to go into the nut welded to the outboard side of the inside of the pedestal base to use as the ground and it’s working fine. I have that wire too and haven’t bothered to investigate it, but it goes towards the back after it exits the pedestal on the footwell side. I’ve attached pictures of the welded nut I mentioned. You can see the backside of the opening in the top left of the pedestal shot.

The photo of the ground wire is inverted

autostaretx
06-28-2019, 02:32 AM
Getting ready for a solar install...AGM battery under the seat.
But what's this strange looking wire?
Is it a single wire, or two or more inside a jacket?

I don't recall any wires under my passenger seat (i don't have seat heaters, and i don't think the passenger belt has a "belt latched" switch)

I have filled that area with a mess of tools (etc), and i would've done something to protect such a wire (such as add a floor plate).

--dick

outbound
06-28-2019, 03:19 AM
... have filled that area with a mess of tools (etc),...
--dick

it where i put my D2 (espar furnace.. ;)

NelsonSprinter
06-28-2019, 03:21 AM
I think that wire feeds the door agar sensor

BrennWagon
06-28-2019, 03:42 AM
Before fitting a battery under my passenger seat there was a piece of insulating material against the floor. That was on top of the wire. Iím thinking of figuring out a way to put it back in with the battery in place. I feel like it made a slight difference for sound insulation

billintomahawk
06-28-2019, 04:03 AM
Before fitting a battery under my passenger seat there was a piece of insulating material against the floor. That was on top of the wire. I’m thinking of figuring out a way to put it back in with the battery in place. I feel like it made a slight difference for sound insulation

Yep I have a sheet of mystery fiber that is pulled out to get the pic Also note some sound deadening is glued to the floor.
It will go back in and a tray or something for the battery bottom just in case it pukes.... Maybe I have to make a clamp or strap or??

Something will be happening.

I always had a two battery system but I'm gonna try a single large AGM deep cycle for simplicity.

BTW nice looking ground.

Thanks, bill

BrennWagon
06-28-2019, 04:38 AM
I bolted together a tray from 2Ē angle iron, then carriage bolted that through the floor. I put a piece of angle inverted across the bottom as a spacer to level the battery and keep everything square with a strap across that. Iím still trying to find the right spot for a fuse box in there. Iím thinking about a wooden divider to screw into and still allow me to use the space as secure storage without stuff sliding under the battery

Nautamaran
06-28-2019, 05:54 AM
Skippy called it. I’ve got the same wire, and have followed it up to the squib on the SRS seat belt tensioner. Protect it: your passenger’s health may depend on it some day.

The channel pictured runs under the centre floor area to the driver’s seat, and will easily fit a pair of 4 awg cables for charging. It’s how the factory ties in their aux battery package, grounding back to G201/G202 under the driver’s seat.

-dave