PDA

View Full Version : Rusty roof and roof seam repair advice wanted

99sport
06-25-2019, 08:41 PM
I need to remove the rust and repaint my roof. Any advice is appreciated. I had originally planned to remove the sealant strips on the top of the roof seams and reseal them along their entire length, but they actually look pretty good and there is zero water inside the van coming in through these seams, so I think I might just remove a small section near the large tear and reseal that section of the joint.

I am thinking of using an oscillating tool to spot sand off the loose paint and surface rust and then cover with epoxy primer and top coat with Monstaliner (thanks to Midwestdrifter for the Monstaliner writeup). After Monstaliner, I would seal (eternabond tape perhaps) over the couple inch section of seam sealer that was removed. As it is the roof, I will likely roll on everything Monstaliner sells a two-part primer they say can be rolled on and it presumably is compatible with the Monstaliner top coat.

Anyone have advice or thoughts on the following (or anything else):
Should I use phosphoric acid or similar treatment on the sections taken down to bare metal?
Can I repair just a section of the seam sealer?
Is epoxy primer the right way to surface prep?

Pictures of outside of roof attached

Thanks!

99sport
06-25-2019, 08:42 PM
Pictures of inside of roof in this post