EGR valve conundrum

lindenengineering

I reckon some of you ought to have a zipper on the EGR valve fitted to the 6 cylinder engine in a Sprinter judging by the posts I read.

So here's a mid week quiz question for you folks to ponder upon. I came upon this the other day.:thinking:
You keep getting an intermittent CEL on.
You get to scan it at the Zone for nowt !
Result.
Stored codes
#5 glow plug overheating .
Implausible EGR flow .

So what's going on?
How would you fix it?
Dennis

CJPJ

2008 3500 170 EXTD 3.0 V6 OM642.993 4.182
How would you fix it?
I would take it to the Dealer service and tell the advisor it has a CEL., ..then I would expect the advisor to say "we will scan it for $180 dollars and see what it needs".

lindenengineering

I would take it to the Dealer service and tell the advisor it has a CEL., ..then I would expect the advisor to say "we will scan it for $180 dollars and see what it needs".
So you have done that NOW --paid some money and have the same codes stored in the ECM with the same reported symptom result.
How would they or you fix it
Dennis

Freewalker

NCV3 08 318CDI 170 2500SH
Unfortunately no!

Dennis

I would ignore the EGR flow error for now, the #5 glow plug overheating is indicative of something that could e cooling efficiency related such as the inter cooler or something else. Just a guess, off track?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ed463

Something to do with dpf regen's?
I'm guessing the glow plug is the thing to focus on/worry about?

lindenengineering

I would ignore the EGR flow error for now, the #5 glow plug overheating is indicative of something that could e cooling efficiency related such as the inter cooler or something else. Just a guess, off track?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OHw! Getting warmer!
Dennis

rollerbearing

Are these fair questions to ask:

Ambient Temperature?
Engine Temperature?
Smoke? Color?
DEF equipped?
Engine Roughness? At what speed?

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
How would the system know if an individual glow plug was overheating? I'm not aware of any temperature sensor in the plug (or maybe it is making a guess by using the resistive temperature coefficient?), or is the 'overheating' code really the result of some other assumption? I'd think I'd kinda have to know that in order to properly interpret/trust the glow plug fault.

If that cylinder really was running hot, then that in combination with the EGR flow problem might indicate an intake or exhaust valve/port issue? Maybe swirl valve stuck closed? (individual valve separated from linkage.)

Last edited:

dharmasprint

The glow plug controller measures the resistance value of the glow plug and can determine if the plug is open or shorted. I would guess that the #5 glow plug issue has some thing to do with where the EGR is ported into the engine and probably acts as a sensor for the correct operation of the EGR. Too high a value indicating not enough air flow, indicating a blockage in the system?

Last edited:

Top Bottom