PDA

View Full Version : Oil drain plug washer?

Jayratch
06-13-2019, 08:33 PM
I discovered during my last oil change that there was no washer on the oil drain plug. I put it back on as it was anyway despite knowing better, and it hasn't leaked, but I'd like to put a washer on it when I do my next oil change which is due in a month or so.

I've been searching online and I actually don't know exactly what part to look for. Rock Auto doesn't have anything listed at all. Amazon has this https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-095-010-1-AutoGrade-Drain-Gasket/dp/B002YMDOCS/ for $1.27 plus $3.49 shipping, it's the shipping that doesn't seem reasonable, and this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OZ6SVL0/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_5jRaDbQWJGYQA drain plug for $9.99 with Prime.

I don't know whether that plug is even correct as Amazon's filter says it doesn't fit.

I usually buy my oil and filter at Walmart although this time I went ahead and ordered them on Amazon because this forum recommended a brand of oil that isn't at Walmart. But they don't sell the washer at walmart. Is this a pretty standard item to just pick up at Autozone or similar?

nigxl
06-13-2019, 08:49 PM
Just go to a Mercedes dealer, they cost pence

Nautamaran
06-13-2019, 09:32 PM
Agreed. It’s just a simple copper washer, but finding the correct diameter isn’t worth the running around.
And the dealers usually make pretty good coffee... win/win!

-dave

Aside: I need to get in the habit of phoning MB first for a baseline price... this spring I looked high and low for a brake fluid that matched the dry/wet boil spec. I finally phoned the MB parts counter and discovered their fluid was about 25% less than the nearest match I had located.

RJV
06-13-2019, 09:36 PM
Not sure what year your van is, but from page 245 of the 2004 parts manual, the part number is 05073946AA. Please see the info I posted a few days ago on another thread below. Good luck

I would urge all members past, present, and future to familiarize yourselves with this website if you haven't already: http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference/ . Go through everything just to see what is there. It is an invaluable resource, and you will reference it often. Not trying to lecture -- it wasn't very long ago that I was given this info and I just want to pass along what was passed on to me. Seriously, click on each link that has your van's year attached to it. Then go through all the extra stuff. Download whatever you find valuable and save it to your computer, don't take for granted that it will be there forever. Buy an inexpensive flash drive and copy any manuals and info pertinent to your van to the drive and then keep that flash drive in the van. As has been said by those well before me, it's an inexpensive insurance policy.

Bobnoxious
06-13-2019, 09:48 PM
Please don't over-tighten the bolt.

Midwestdrifter
06-14-2019, 02:50 PM
Pretty sure I don't have one on mine. Zero leaks. When present I reuse them. On high pressure fittings, or if damaged, they should be replaced. On a very low pressure fitting, like the oil drain, there is no need to replace regularly.

Aqua Puttana
06-14-2019, 03:04 PM
I believe that I pulled some copper washers out of a Harbor Freight kit that fit the engine oil drain plug. A bit thicker than OEM isn't a problem.

https://www.harborfreight.com/80-piece-copper-washer-assortment-67526.html

vic

autostaretx
06-14-2019, 04:50 PM
Many/most auto parts stores (O'Reilly, Auto Zone, etc) will carry the Dorman line of suitable copper washers.

--dick (who forgets the correct size... sorry)

CJPJ
06-14-2019, 05:02 PM
Elring-OEM Supplier to VW & Mercedes
Drain Plug Seal Ring-Oil Pan 2002-2014

Seal Ring-Engine Oil Pan Drain Plug SPRINTER 2002-2019
Europarts Price:$0.25

https://europarts-sd.com/drainplugsealring-oilpan2002-2009.asp

Aqua Puttana
06-14-2019, 05:50 PM
Elring-OEM Supplier to VW & Mercedes
Drain Plug Seal Ring-Oil Pan 2002-2014

Seal Ring-Engine Oil Pan Drain Plug SPRINTER 2002-2019
Europarts Price:$0.25

https://europarts-sd.com/drainplugsealring-oilpan2002-2009.asp
+9 bucks shipping to my house.

Maybe no additional shipping if included with other parts? Remember to add the washers on to any order that you place.

:cheers: vic

Nautamaran
06-14-2019, 06:22 PM
+ $20 brokerage fee crossing the border into Canada if shipped UPS or FedEx ground service... :wtf:

rollerbearing
06-14-2019, 06:23 PM
I anneal my washers for re-use (both aluminum and copper) with a quick pass in a torch flame.

Copper can be heated a lot hotter than aluminium. Aluminium really only needs a sooty flame coating.

This softens them again so that they will conform and reseal to the surfaces.

The steel crush type washers I always replace.

Nautamaran
06-14-2019, 07:48 PM
Same here, though for the oil pan washer I’ve become lazy and anneal it every second oil change without any issues. It’s just a shallow sump after all...

Annealing aluminum is tricky, as many alloys will melt at around 850F, but don’t anneal properly until they reach 750F. Since aluminum doesn’t glow or undergo a colour change as it nears its melting point it’s easy to overshoot and melt the part.

Copper should be heated to a glowing orange and held there for 10-15 seconds to anneal it, then can be air cooled or quenched in water. A quench does not harden copper, and usually removes most of the black oxide that forms on the hot surface. A light brushing will restore luster.

-dave

Aqua Puttana
06-14-2019, 10:02 PM
:shhh:

DIY I use the same copper washer until it shows any sign of seeping. If it goes wonky it won't dump the oil sump, it may seep. I've been reusing the 2004 same washer since I bought it... 2008 about 158,000 miles maybe 10 oil changes.

To be clear. Were I being paid to do the oil changes the copper washer would be renewed without question. Callbacks on repairs are never a good thing. For DIY I will just explain to myself that sometimes reusing the washer will allow seeping. I think that I'll understand and give myself a pass.

Do I recommend not changing the copper washer? Not at all. BUT, if you find yourself shy a washer and need to change your oil, when reusing a copper washer the risk is minimal.

:cheers: vic

rollerbearing
06-14-2019, 10:04 PM
....... A quench does not harden copper, and usually removes most of the black oxide that forms on the hot surface. A light brushing will restore luster.

-dave

Quenching copper washers in the drained oil will also brighten them considerably. The oil will react with the red hot copper oxide and reduce the copper oxide back to copper. I usually hook the washer in an opened up paper clip, torch it, and then dip it in the pan of drained oil.