Transmission Valve Body - "pressure" test those solenoids!

BenJohnson

2006 2500 T1N
Here is a little tip. If you are having shift problems and decide to replace the conductor plate, make sure to actually *pressure* test the solenoids. Simply testing for resistance or clicking is not good enough. Unfortunately the ASTG manual does not talk about this test.

I had one shift solenoid that tested great with resistance, but when tested with air pressure it failed miserably. This caused my tranny to go into LHM and slip after about 1km.

If you do replace a solenoid, make sure to test the new ones too - I had a dud!

Here is a video of a guy showing how it is done. (ignore the accent and pay attention to the content)

https://youtu.be/z6n9d2844CM

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
For intermittent issues, sometimes its worth heating the solenoid up to 200F using a adjustable heat gut (carefully!). Some can leak when hot, or even fail electrically.

doug022984

Sporadic Member Since 2015
The video only mentions (3) solenoids and OP mentions shifting problems, so I'm assuming this test is just for the (3) shift solenoids. Can/should you pressure test the other two types of solenoids (two pressure control solenoids and one torque converter clutch solenoid) also, or is that a no no? Since these other three are pulse width modulated solenoids and not on/off like the shift solenoids, I'm guessing that might answer the question.

Top Bottom