Plastic Cover over Solenoid Cracked on Valve Body Inside Transmission - Discontinued?

TROLL

2007 Winnebago View 23H
My transmission has exhibited some vibrations and a CEL, and a scan at a local shop suggested a possible issue with one of the solenoids, so while I had it apart for a fluid change, I decided to pull the valve body and clean it up based on Doctor A's post about it.

During disassembly I cracked the smaller yellow plastic cover over the solenoids on the valve body on my transmission. Damnit. It was clipped on really well and I was trying to lift it off, and when it finally freed up, the little bit of pressure I was using to pull up on it was enough to crack the brittle plastic. I wasn't exactly hamfisting it so it didn't take much to crack, hopefully I'm not the only one this has happened to.

The part number on the inside is 1402710882 and a google search comes back showing it is discontinued. Double damnit.

Does anyone know if these exist somewhere? Oh, this is a Silver Start reman, if that makes a difference. I will be calling them first thing Monday to see if they have the parts but "discontinued" sounds pretty eerie.

The alternative is to epoxy it but I'd much rather have a good cover in there if possible. Its not load bearing and epoxy should probably do the trick, but I'd feel more comfortable without the risk of the epoxy failing and floating around in the transmission.

The other issue -- I had planned to have this done by Monday night (my goal to have the vehicle fully prepped for a 2 month trip to Alaska). If I need to wait for parts I can... just want to get this back together properly.

Help me out knowledgeable people of Sprinter Forums! Photos attached of disassembly, and the last photo is the cover with the crack in it. Thanks :).

p.s. is there a way to insert photos in line on a post so you don't have to click the attachments at the bottom? Can't figure it out on this forum.

Attachments

Last edited:

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
The covers are not required for operation. I cracked mine on disassembly. To repair I degreased the damaged area. Scuffed, then applied super glue with some fine baking soda. Plenty strong.

TROLL

2007 Winnebago View 23H
Thank you both. Do you recommend trying to source another, repair with superglue, or removing one or both completely?

TROLL

2007 Winnebago View 23H
Also interesting — this is an 06, but is a rebuild from silver star. Wonder if they add them and why.

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
They’re simply splash guards. The solenoids spend much of their time awash in ATF... I wouldn’t put a lot of time into replacing them, esp. since MB later deleted them.
:2cents:
-dave

TROLL

2007 Winnebago View 23H
Silver Star said that they used to use them when they were available and now that they're not they don't use them, and it should be fine either way. Leaning toward just reassembling without both plastic covers.

TROLL

2007 Winnebago View 23H
Reassembled without the covers ??. Ended up putting in the full 8q that I had and it’s still a hair below the 85 C degree range when at full temp. Assuming that when removing the valve body and cleaning that out well it requires a bit more fill than a standard change just draining the torque converter and dropping the Pan.

Everything went back together well — make sure you really push the new filter on well until it pops and the tab on the other side lines up with the slot and the filter is up pretty high and tight against the underside of the valve body.

Drives and shifts nicely, with the trans freshen and the new head gasket, and I think we’re about ready for the 7k+ miles round trip to Alaska :).

Attached a photo of the old filter after about 50k miles on the rebuilt trans. Few metal flakes but not much.

Thanks for the help everyone! Slowly but surely learning the ins and outs of this new to me vehicle.

Attachments

Top Bottom