Engine coolant temp

nigxl

What should this run at in deg C ?
Mine seems to settle at just over the half way mark, maybe 85 deg C ?

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Hi Nigel,

My 313 runs around 83°C to 85°C for most driving and rises to 88°C on severe climbs, eg the 1 in 3 up Sutton Bank in North Yorkshire.

I use a ScanGauge II to monitor actual coolant temp along with engine load (%LOD) and a couple of other parameters in real time. IMO a well worthwhile investment at just over £100. It will also scan for codes at a very basic level.

Keith.

Fred flintstone

Hi Nigel,
I'm in Australia and my 313 was running at around 75 but only had to look at a hill and went up to over 100.
I replaced the viscous fan unit, water pump and thermostat.
It now runs at about 88 and only goes up to 90 on the steepest mountain range in our area.
Bryan

marklg

I'm in Arizona, USA and I have had two bad viscous clutches, one stuck off and one stuck on. With the one stuck off, it would overheat on hills, reaching above 110 C. With it stuck on, it would be about 80C and make a lot of noise.

With a good Febi Bilstein viscous clutch, it hovers around 88 C and gets up to 108 C on the worst climbs with outside temps about 40+ C. I'm calling that "normal".

Regards,

Mark

autostaretx

Erratic Member
The thermostat is supposed to open in the range of 80 to 85 C (184 to 193 F)

That's when the coolant is allowed to pass through the radiator to cool the engine.
(below that opening temperature, you're still "warming up")

If you were running the booster or auxiliary heater, they drop to "idle" at 180 F

--dick

Top Bottom