Ignition Key Replaced

nebwoodman

2004 T1n cargo bought new 1/2020 has 78K ml.
My 2004 Dodge Sprinter came with x2 fobs and I broke off one of the fob's keys in half many years ago. Other day I called my local Dodge dealers and their price was some ridiculous 750.00 to get new key from Germany.

Several years ago I had bought a few blanks off ebay and tried cutting one myself but failed. So today I took a blank into Westlake Hardware and although they had no code lookup to program my new blank if they cut it, had them cut it on manual machine anyway. Told them I'll just use as door key.

I tried in ignition and new key did start it but lockout (?) shut it back off immediately. So, back at shop took old broken key fob and cut off broken key end portion then cut off new key's grip portion and wire wrapped the two pieces together and wallah!Works fine!

...saved me a bunch! Oh and nice guys Westlake did it for free:thumbup:

Last edited:

:thumbup:

I feel that sistering a cut new MB17 brass key to the OEM plastic head/handle with included RFiD chip is an inexpensive and effective method.

For my first sister operation I used pop rivets. That was ok. Subsequent sistering used small machine screws. That looks a little cleaner and works better if the MB17 key needs to be changed again.

Some info is here.

Redneck Sprinter Chipped Key
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?p=155692#post155692

:cheers: vic

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Dodge/Freightliner/MB will sell "just the blade" for the Remote Key flip-fob ... (a small roll-pin holds onto it)
It's cut to your lock profile by the factory (given your VIN), and used to be in the $75 range.

So if you only break the blade, you don't need the whole $600 $750 kit-and-kaboodle

--dick

RJV

Hacking my own key way fun and all and I'm glad I went through the process and that I figured out how to do it. It was worthwhile. That said, sending my key to SOS Diagnostics and paying them to make me a bunch of keys was some of the best money I've ever put into my van. It does help that I prefer a regular key and not a fob.

B

billintomahawk

I hate keys!

I just threw down the extra hundred for the Green Diesel Engineering key delete feature added to my tune.

They claim partial success for T1N's.

Anyone gone that route?

bill in tomahawk

Last edited by a moderator:

nebwoodman

2004 T1n cargo bought new 1/2020 has 78K ml.
Just having a second key solves my nervousness so may now go the route of finding a fob blade replacement and use the cut key as a stash-hidden key. Sent an email off to SOS Diagnostics for pricing so see what happens.
The dealer route for just the precut blade using vin may be option too but haven't found anything web searching.

Top Bottom