2007 NCV3 intermittent no start, possible y cable, need advice

Ryno_76

I have a 2007 NCV3 w/ 67k and intermittent no start issue. Weekend van shared with buddy. Drove for a month recently to see if permanent van life is for me, no problems with starting. Then this weekend a no start event after driving ~100 miles on highway.

Tried to jump start to no avail. Buddy climbs under to tap on starter (for which I have since read is not a good idea with Sprinters based on starter type). Nothing. I shift to neutral guessing it might be some safety interlock issue. Van rolls backward against curb. Van then magically starts.

Drive another ~100 miles of highway, then same no start on next attempt. I crawl under and notice a jenky looking cable connecting the alternator and starter, crossing under the oil pan (attached). Looks like a 2nd grader wrapped heat shield around it. Also notice yellow butt connector hanging from starter...remember a previous owner at some point had a wheel chair lift (based on info from guy I bought it from, and holes near slider door).

Then I noticed the jenky looking heat shield wrapped wire occasionally sparking. This can't be good. Jiggled it around a bit to keep it from metal, and she started right up.

So...is this the infamous y cable I have spent a couple hours on this forum reading about? Or is this some crappy hack job from when the wheel chair lift equipment was removed? Does the factory y cable routing clip to engine anywhere or just hang out like mine?

I plan to go through all the voltage check protocol so well laid out in previous posts, however figured I would start with something obvious like a sparking wire.

This Sprinter newbie thanks you in advance for any and all advise!

Attachments

Look under the hood to see if you have any loose ground bolts. I had what you are experiencing and in addition, I had some error codes come on, and there was a light that illuminated the driver's feet that stopped working. Once all of those wires were tightened up good, we took a 2500 mile drive from NM to Maine without any problems at all. Look for the simple solution first.

CJPJ

2008 3500 170 EXTD 3.0 V6 OM642.993 4.182
is this the infamous y cable I have spent a couple hours on this forum reading about? Or is this some crappy hack job from when the wheel chair lift equipment was removed? Does the factory y cable routing clip to engine anywhere or just hang out like mine?
the y-cable is fasten approximately every 8 inches along its length; the cable goes from the starter then splits off [y's] going to the alternator and battery.

Ryno_76

the y-cable is fasten approximately every 8 inches along its length; the cable goes from the starter then splits off [y's] going to the alternator and battery.
The few pics I saw had the factory installed y-cable routed along the oil pan, with good clipping. Can anyone confirm that for a US 2007 NCV3?

As you can see from the picture I posted, there is no cable routed along either side of the oil pan. Perhaps this heat shield wrapped line replaced it?

CJPJ

2008 3500 170 EXTD 3.0 V6 OM642.993 4.182
The few pics I saw had the factory installed y-cable routed along the oil pan, with good clipping. Can anyone confirm that for a US 2007 NCV3?
I'll vouch to that statement. I did replaced my y cable, with one purchase from MB dealer.
As you can see from the picture I posted, there is no cable routed along either side of the oil pan. Perhaps this heat shield wrapped line replaced it?
kinda replaced it. And the yellow connector may be to test for voltage at the solenoid.

Last edited:

Mrdi

I had this problem and replaced Y, battery, checked ground.
Ending up resolving problem by changing starter.
I carry a spare starter.
My friend has an identical Sprinter, year ,model, etc.
We have the same vehicle use pattern as well.
He has not had the same no start problem.

Ryno_76

Since what appears to be the y-cable on my van is 1) not factory looking and 2) sparking occasionally, I am going to replace that, after doing the voltage diagnosis checks in the sticky above.
Thanks all for your help, fingers crossed this fixes it before the weekend!

Ryno_76

Just wanted to provide an update to my repair. I believe the ultimate problem was a loose nut securing power cable to starter/solenoid. Unfortunately I didn't learn this until I removed the nut to replace with new y cable...

After inspecting existing cables (yes my y cable was actually 2 cables for some reason) I decided it best to replace with a nice, new factory y cable with appropriate clipping points.

Only time will tell if this fixed the problem as my click no crank was intermittent.

Thanks again for the wisdom of the Sprinter Forum!

Attachments

SeattleMatt

I think I have a similar problem, happened to me yesterday for the first time. I almost had AAA jump me before going under the van and playing with the cables. There is a good amount of rust on my cables that connect to the starter. Where the the cable usually fail?

It looks like your old y cable in this picture is in good condition, mine has not plastic on the ends and is rusted and frayed.

How much was the replacement?

What is the part number?

showkey

But the home made cable RYNO had was problem waiting to happen on multiple fronts.
Not too mention the factory cable has a fuse system built in.

Top Bottom