Steering rack replacement - do it myself?

Jayratch

Honestly I’m kind of skeptical that it’s even in need of repair, but Mercedes failed me on my inspection citing a leaking steering rack. They want $1500 to replace it. Replacement parts would be $475 shipped for a refurb from Rock Auto, and I have access to a lift but not to any special Mercedes tools.

The shop manual I read seems to make it seem like a straightforward job except it says something about a “suitable puller” for the track rod ball joint. I don’t know what that means but I’m wondering whether it’s a specialized tool I’d need to buy or just something I can do with common shop tools.

I have access to a shop with a lift but not much in the way of special tools. I’ve got a basic mechanic tool set that I carry with me in the van, and the shop where I’ll be working services larger trucks and may have some other tools I can borrow but there won’t be an expert mechanic on hand as this is an after hours favor.

The two things I need to figure out quickly are, can I do this job myself (with one helper), and if I need special tools, are they cheap to buy? Otherwise I’ve got to just pony up and pay Mercedes to do it.

On the other hand should I just see if someone else will inspect it that won’t fail it for this minor leak?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are no real specialty tools needed for disassembly that I'm aware of. Tie rod ends can be bumped loose/separated by backing off the nut and using a backup hammer while striking the opposite side with a slightly lighter hammer.

You do need to calibrate the steering after the installation.

On the other hand should I just see if someone else will inspect it that won’t fail it for this minor leak?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Minor leak?
My suggestion is to buy some Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak. It has some history of success.

:cheers: vic

Top Bottom