lock issues

Had to open a customers 17 camper today , the remote acted dead & the key would turn in the drivers door but felt disconnected. Once we were in from the camper door , I was able to start it right up & the remote worked fine afterwards . Have never seen one do this other then years back my 01 had to be reset at the dealer . Any thoughts, I'm sure I will run across this again .

autostaretx

Erratic Member
There was another thread a few months back about this... i do not recall the resolution (but may have also involved a flat or disconnected starter battery)

--dick

That was my first thought too but it started right up . She was having issues with the batteries in the back, on the solar panels . but the systems should be separate .

sparkplug

It's also worth taking the time to reconnect the manual key connector.

It's fairly straight forward to do and means you don't get locked out if the electrics fail again (which they are likely to do if you haven't found / fixed the underlying issue)

sadly I don't do much lock work like that , sent her to another shop that does auto locks . will be interested to see what they find

Added note to this, not sure why MB got away from manual locks on both doors, to me seems a bad idea . On any house or business we do , I always make sure there are two doors they can get into in case a lock fails .We were lucky as this was a RV & was able to pick the door locks in the back .

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
How long had the camper been left after last using the remote?

From memory the locking module goes to sleep after a week or two or maybe longer and then requires an ignition cycle to bring it back to life.

Keith.

The customer had driven it the day before , Checked the main battery & it read 12.5 volts , but didn't have a load tester with me . When I cranked it, it felt, sounded strong , fired right up. I did load test the battery in the fob , was just fine . so I'm stumped .

sparkplug

sadly I don't do much lock work like that , sent her to another shop that does auto locks . will be interested to see what they find
Should it ever come up again....

There's a linking rod (ball and socket) which pops off if you remove the lock for whatever reason.

If you don't know it's there it's very easy not to notice that it's come off so you wouldn't think to replace it.

If you do know it's come off but don't know how to access it (easiest to remove the handle and access it from outside rather than from the inside) then you might well just give up because it's fiddly and not that important....

Top Bottom