Steering judder or shudder

ANDYF

Hi Folks,

My 2013 Sprinter (313CDI) has been making a squealing noise and juddering on full steering lock. I have had the pump and tensioner changed with no difference so had the 3 guide pulleys and sheave pulley changed but still the same. The replaced tensioner has only lasted about 10k miles ! Not sure what to do next ?, any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Steering judder

Hi Folks,

My 2013 Sprinter (313CDI) has been making a squealing noise and juddering on full steering lock. I have had the pump and tensioner changed with no difference so had the 3 guide pulleys and sheave pulley changed but still the same. The replaced tensioner has only lasted about 10k miles ! Not sure what to do next ?, any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
I would recommend having a qualified technician diagnose and repair the Cause of your Concern.

ANDYF

I would recommend having a qualified technician diagnose and repair the Cause of your Concern.
Thanks for your reply, my mechanic has suggested that the cause could have been a cheap tensioner (Trucktec was fitted last time) so we have fitted a Febi tensioner this time.

My concern is that there's still the noise and juddering on full lock (unless revs. are increased)

Regards,

Andy

sailquik

Andy,
Have you checked the fluid level, and if yoiu needed to add power Steering fluid did
the fluid youi used meet the specification recommended in your Owners Manual.
In youir 2013 Maintenance Supplement, on page 323, the recommended Power Steering Fluid is:
Mobil ATF-D ,Exxon Mobil Corporationor
tMB Sheet No. 236.3
Also, have you "bled" the air out of the PS rack by slowly turning the steering lock to lock and
allowing the air in the system to be pushed out into the top of the PS pump/reservoir.
If all of the above is true, perhaps a new PS Pump, after you find a way to test the output of the
current PS Pump..
Hope this helps,
Roger

ANDYF

Andy,
Have you checked the fluid level, and if yoiu needed to add power Steering fluid did
the fluid youi used meet the specification recommended in your Owners Manual.
In youir 2013 Maintenance Supplement, on page 323, the recommended Power Steering Fluid is:
Mobil ATF-D ,Exxon Mobil Corporationor
tMB Sheet No. 236.3
Also, have you "bled" the air out of the PS rack by slowly turning the steering lock to lock and
allowing the air in the system to be pushed out into the top of the PS pump/reservoir.
If all of the above is true, perhaps a new PS Pump, after you find a way to test the output of the
current PS Pump..
Hope this helps,
Roger
Hi Roger,

Thanks for your reply, fluid level is showing above the max on the PSP dipstick although I'm not sure what was used to top it up ! Does look brown (van has done over 180k miles)

We did do lock to lock slowly several times.

My mechanic's sidekick has suggested the crankshaft pulley, apparently his car ate 4 tensioners until that was replaced !

Quite a pricey item for a Sprinter van, could it be causing the judder / noise ?

Regards,

Andy

sailquik

Andy,
If the harmonic balancer ring is separating from your crankshaft pulley, then yes that could very well be the source of your PS issues.
The ring is molded into the crank pulley with a rubber ring bonded between the HB ring and the
crank pulley.
These have a fairly high failure rate.
You will need a new upgraded OEM pulley/ HB ring
assembly, a new crankshaft torque to yield bolt, and new washer, possibly a new key (or 2),
a flywheel lock tool, and a big torque wrench!
Best to remove the front grille, andswing away the radiator/CAC/AC Condenser stack so you can access the front of the engine easily.
Hope this helps!
Roger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

edfrompa

2008 ROADTREK on F/L 2500
I'd check the inner tie rod ends. My '08 ..bought used with 30k mi... had a slight shudder at full lock--usually on uneven ground . At 125K, it STILL has a slight shutter at full lock and a LITTLE play on the inner tie rod end. Tracks like an arrow at 75 mph and no tire wear symptoms. IMHO, aint broke, so don't fix!

Thanks for your reply,...
Don't mention it- happy to help.

...my mechanic...
In the year 2019, anyone who refers to themselves as a "mechanic", probably isn't. Vehicle repair technicians have been referred to as "technicians" for more than 30 years.

...has suggested that the cause could have been...
Technicians don't suggest what the cause could have been. Technicians accurately diagnose.

My concern is that there's still the noise and juddering on full lock (unless revs. are increased)

Regards,

Andy
I share your concern.

I hope you take my initial advice.

ANDYF

Andy,
If the harmonic balancer ring is separating from your crankshaft pulley, then yes that could very well be the source of your PS issues.
The ring is molded into the crank pulley with a rubber ring bonded between the HB ring and the
crank pulley.
These have a fairly high failure rate.
You will need a new upgraded OEM pulley/ HB ring
assembly, a new crankshaft torque to yield bolt, and new washer, possibly a new key (or 2),
a flywheel lock tool, and a big torque wrench!
Best to remove the front grille, andswing away the radiator/CAC/AC Condenser stack so you can access the front of the engine easily.
Hope this helps!
Roger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks Roger,

Harmonic balancer ring was separating from the crankshaft pulley so this has been replaced but still have the same issue !, i.e. steering judder on full lock in either direction

Top Bottom