HB at a glance

I am headed on a long trip and have been getting the sprinter into shape. I heard what sounded like a extra engine noise coming from the passenger side but I couldn’t isolate the sound. It would start up when I gave it some gas and went away at idle. The sound went away and I went on a drive. Started it up this morning and no sound. Here’s a few pics of my HB. I’m not an expert on what it should or should not look like. Any advise from these pics?
IMG_7801.jpgIMG_7804.jpgIMG_7803.jpg

2004 158 3500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't tell from pictures.

Have you tried just grabbing the outer ring and wiggling it? It shouldn't move at all.

Small taps around the ring may reveal problem areas with different noise. I haven't tried tapping though, so it may or not reveal anything.

Any/all of the pulleys and drive components should be suspect.

:cheers: vic

vanski

If it’s winter, I’m probably skiing..
HB looks okay to me.. perhaps your heat shield is loose or the wiring bundle going over to the air box wasn’t put on top of the heat shield and the fan is hitting the bundle..

On another note.. interesting serpentine belt. I’ve never seen that size designation. Correct size is pk2260. Europarts sd sells 2257, which seems to work for folks

Last edited:
HB looks okay to me.. perhaps your heat shield is loose or the wiring bundle going over to the air box wasn’t put on top of the heat shield and the fan is hitting the bundle..

On another note.. interesting serpentine belt. I’ve never seen that size designation. Correct size is pk2260. Europarts sd sells 2257, which seems to work for folks

Previous owner installed the belt. I have one coming as a back up but could swap them if this one is going to cause problems.

I can't tell from pictures.

Have you tried just grabbing the outer ring and wiggling it? It shouldn't move at all.

Small taps around the ring may reveal problem areas with different noise. I haven't tried tapping though, so it may or not reveal anything.

Any/all of the pulleys and drive components should be suspect.

:cheers: vic

Nothing feels loose. I’ll keep looking. Thanks for taking a look.

vanski

If it’s winter, I’m probably skiing..
Previous owner installed the belt. I have one coming as a back up but could swap them if this one is going to cause problems.

The OEM length specification is 2260 mm. That belt is 2292. In my opinion that deviates enough to swap it..

Top Bottom