Roof repair and elastomeric roof coating

I have 2 2006 high top Sprinters and I am working on repairing rust at the seams, future proofing for rust and a top coating that will help with heat and sound/noise.

One sprinter I have had painted before and the rust did get far enough out of control to start allowing water to leak through. I used wire wheels and abrasive flap discs to clean down to the bare metal inside and out. Then I used POR-15 rust remover and then a clear POR-15 over the area (3 coats). POR-15 dries super hard and smooth as ice, but I did notice it is relatively easy to sand. I'll then use POR-15 patch (thick like caulk) to level and fill the seam. The rust ate away a few half moon chunks of the edge of the metal about 1/2" in. Then I'll use POR-15 high build primer to finish it off, folled by their white top coat.

The other Sprinter is way worse off. After the rust was removed, the holes were big enough to stick your fingers through. I thought about using a piece of aluminum and sticking it to the inside of the roof with 3M 5200 and then riveting it in place. To give strength and make it waterproof. Then fill and finish the top. I also though about welding a piece of metal in place. Any other ideas?

When they are both finished, I am going to use Lanco Coolguard roof coating to put 2 layers on both vans. I hope this will keep the salt air from causing any future rust, keep the temperatures down and probably even quiet down he tin can.

GSWatson

2013 144
I did my roof with elastomeric paint two and a half years ago. I did it mainly as an experiment and to keep it a little cooler; and it seals the MaxxAir in as well.

Cheers,
Greg

GSWatson

2013 144
I did my roof with elastomeric paint two and a half years ago. I did it mainly as an experiment and to keep it a little cooler; and it seals the MaxxAir in as well.

https://fuploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2019052hy1/b411f3534309283e316183e8eaa2a760.jpg[/IMGu]

Cheers,
Greg[/QUOTE]

Cheers,
Greg

Bedliner!

The black and the gray are the only colors I have seen so far, but some have painted the bedliner to suit their tastes.

I believe the bedliner product is tougher and will last considerably longer than the elastomeric, and of course, the sound mitigation is well known.

I am replacing the carpeted and plywood floor of my full roof rack and plan to roll or spray on a gray bedliner everywhere I can up there, before the new aluminum floor goes in. It will eventually be padded and outdoor carpeted for the observation and gear deck comfort factor.

Lojack72

'02 DIY adventure van, 300K miles (210K by me)
I applied Monstaliner ( https://www.monstaliner.com/ ) a few years ago, here's a pic within a few days of installation.

I haven't noticed any degradation or fading, and no leaks despite plenty of roof penetrations by previous owner.

GSWatson

2013 144
Thanks GSWatson, Does it keep the noise down/quieter?

Hard to say - I insulated with 1” polyiso and then Thinsulate, so kind of went overkill. But the heat/light reflection can definitely be felt when cleaning my solar panels.

Cheers,
Greg

Top Bottom