Overheating Limp Mode?

• Thread starter Deleted member 86082
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 86082

Hey Guys

My van went into limp mode with a red temp light on in the dash. No sign of actual overheating. Scan gauge showed temp to fluctuate between 215 and 275. I suspect that the temp sensor is faulty.
Can anyone point me to the sensor location? Also, does the temp sensor trip the viscous fan?
Does the viscous fan work independently of the sensor?

Thanks

Joe

2012 3.0 3500

D

Deleted member 86082

I just had a closer look. The fan does have an electrical connector and some type of hose connected to it.
I also checked the coolant temp stone cold with ignition on and engine off. The temp reads 250 F so I will be replacing the sensor if I can find it.
Any tips on this?

Thanks

Joe

lindenengineering

You most like have a fan clutch fault since it activated by the cam sensor and coolant sensor that run in consort with one another.
Advise is to change the fan and notice an immediate improvement in engine performance.
The hose you mention is just an arrestor cable.
Dennis

D

Deleted member 86082

Hi Denis

I found and changed out the temp sensor. The reading is now normal for a cold engine. (75 F) Will take it for a test run and confirm later.

Thanks

Joe

D

Deleted member 86082

Tested and runs great!

Repair cost:
New sensor $30
Jug coolant 30
Wife thinks I'm a hero Priceless !!

lindenengineering

Just keep an eye on that fan clutch, notorious for causing sensor faults as you have described. INCLUDING extended crank time
All the best
Dennis

Top Bottom