Daytime Running Lights

GPLYNCHBURG

wondering how to disable daytime running lights,i do most all my driving during the day,trying to save on buying bulbs,i have the Autel md-802 all systems scanner can I do it without going to dealer?:thumbup:

CB1945

They're called Daytime Running Lights because they are meant to make your vehicle visible during the daylight. In other words, Visible to others who might otherwise pull out in front of you because they could not see you for various reasons.
They have been manditory in Canada for many years. I can't say as I've had a problem with any of the vehicles I've owned over the years burning out DRL bulbs any more than any other bulb.

But, whatever Lights yer fire I guess.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Waaaaayyyy back when ... Greyhound cross-country busses were big and silver ...

Greyhound started a "headlights on in daytime" policy.

Their accident rate went down by 10%.

I don't have daytime running lights, but i DO remember to turn mine on.

--dick

irvingj

2015 RT SS Agile (3.0L)
Not sure about MB, but my 2005 Jetta's DRL are ever-so-slightly dimmer than when headlights are in "ON" position. Hard to tell, but I've verified this. Seems they use a slightly lower voltage for DRL use. Have yet to replace a headlight bulb. Anybody know if MB does the same?

dharmasprint

Not sure about MB, but my 2005 Jetta's DRL are ever-so-slightly dimmer than when headlights are in "ON" position. Hard to tell, but I've verified this. Seems they use a slightly lower voltage for DRL use. Have yet to replace a headlight bulb. Anybody know if MB does the same?
Just about all car makers use exactly this technique to prolong the life of the lights and have been doing this for probably 30 years in response to premature bulb failures.

glasseye

... my 2005 Jetta's DRL are ever-so-slightly dimmer than when headlights are in "ON" position... Seems they use a slightly lower voltage for DRL use...Anybody know if MB does the same?
Not on T1N's. No brightness change, no reduced voltage. Always pissed me off until I got LEDs.

My 2010 Honda is smart enough to do this. But then its climate control actually works, too. :idunno:

D

Deleted member 50714

wondering how to disable daytime running lights,i do most all my driving during the day,trying to save on buying bulbs,i have the Autel md-802 all systems scanner can I do it without going to dealer?:thumbup:
Procedure for deactivation depends if you have steering wheel buttons or not. Refer to owner's manual for a details

Attachments

glasseye

As you might guess on any topic .............Not everyone agrees that DRLs are great thing.........
https://lightsout.org/faqs.html
Excuse me, but, what a preposterous load of crap. Especially the part about "reducing fuel economy". I'll leave it to the slide rule crowd to estimate the mpg loss from running DRL's. But it's gonna be vanishingly small. :professor:

I know one thing from living for nearly two decades in a land where DRL's are mandatory and everyone has 'em. Those who drive without them are MUCH more difficult to see. I wanna see and BE SEEN.

The defense rests. :2cents:

showkey

Same as the ECU controlled alternator or now smart alternator was just dreamed up to make things more complicated. Twenty-five years ago people complained the lights dimmed or changed brightness on decel ........the first ECU controlled alternator was born.
Who would think alternator increase charging on decel would help MPG.

Modern MPG gains are measure in .1 MPG.
Today those tenths are reducing pumping losses like water pump, oil pump, power steering pumps which add electrical load by an engineering choice. Thin oil, low tension rings, low lowing resistance tires, weight reduction, LED lighting ......it all adds up.

Point is there’s no free lunch ........yes DRL are small compared to climate control or other power use. Eco mode guess what the first compromise is climate control.

Last edited:

MrB

I have a Sprinter camper. It is not very popular to light up a campground after dark with those bright MB lights. If just turning on engine i leave lights out. For navigating in campground at 10 mph the fog lights are sufficient. My dealer was able to disable DRL. I do turn them on manually during daytime driving, but admit I sometimes forget.

norcal2

I did the same i have 13 clearance lights in addition to the sprinter ones to light up, i turn them on when i need them the dealer disabled i replaced most with led's i did notice the voltage change is increased with them off...on the chassis battery..which the alternator also charges the coach batteries when running...which is better...

bobmac

I put two of these on my 2002 TIN last year, run from a relay off D+. When the engine was replaced in March/April I ran them directly off the D+ terminal as they only draw 200+ mA each. And they are very bright for a 3 W 'lamp':

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/17cm-DC...m1eefa26fed:g:DRQAAOSw7P9bc6K-&frcectupt=true

"17cm DC 12V COB LED DRL Driving Daytime Running Lights Strip Panel Lamps Auto"

I mounted the strips inside an alumin(i)um channel and used RTV to cement the channel to the bullbar. They are waterproof but a little more RTV did no harm. Cheap insurance. They have around 20kkm on them now total with no problems. Visibility is VERY good.

My 2003 Freightliner with full time DRLs in North America went through a few lamps earlier on but I must have got lucky with replacements finally. Have not lost one for a few years now. I was going to put a pushbutton and relay in the driver's seat pedestal to disable them when the vehicle was running and have them turn on automatically each time the vehicle was started. Would likely have added a second PB to turn them on if need be. Like Vic, I sometimes forget to turn headlights on at night until my highbeams don't work or I notice no dash lights. I put LEDs in the parking lights and clearance lights but went back to incandescent in the tail lights for the sake of the cruise control and for better light. LEDs are less forgiving when contacts get dirty. I used Vic's self taping screw trick to enable the lower 'marker' lights as tail lights and put LEDs in those. If I were not so lazy I would have soldered a jumper on as I soldered leads for upper sets of lights and the reversing camera signal. Solder works well on the galvanized strips.

Bob M 2002 4x4 in Murrumba Downs Qld

Top Bottom