PDA

View Full Version : Sprinter Bra, pro or con?

TimJuhl
09-04-2009, 02:02 AM
I just finished touching up a bunch of little chips on my Sprinter's hood. If you look too close it looks like it had a bad case of acne. I was thinking about installing a bra over the hood for traveling. Anyone care to share their experiences pro or con with using one?

Now, before I get a bunch of ribald comments, I am talking about a bra for the van and the van only. :laughing:

Tim

bikergar
09-04-2009, 02:23 AM
Tim

Been my sprience on other vehicles, I always end up chaffing the clear. Sand and grit gets under the bra around the edges no matter how tight I install it. To negate the effects remove it frequently (every third or fouth day and wash the bra and the Sprinter.
Driving in the rain is 10 fold as bad. I would clean it every night when traveling and let it dry at the end of the day by getting it off the paint if possible. It's either acne or a skin peel, and I don't know which is worse.

gary

Aqua Puttana
09-04-2009, 02:46 AM
....but if you wash your bra that often it loses it's ability to "lift and separate".:tongue:

Tim,
You never said we couldn't add ribald comments.:laughing:

AP/vic

avid
09-04-2009, 02:54 AM
A guy driving a 1/4 million dollar Monaco showed me the 3M protective film he has on the front of his rig. Looks pretty darn nice; but he said the Monaco factory installed it and he had no idea were you could have it done. Anyone have any ideas? I don't like the look of some of my dings either. :yell:

bikergar
09-04-2009, 03:28 AM
A guy driving a 1/4 million dollar Monaco showed me the 3M protective film he has on the front of his rig. Looks pretty darn nice; but he said the Monaco factory installed it and he had no idea were you could have it done. Anyone have any ideas? I don't like the look of some of my dings either. :yell:

Most of the larger RV dealers will have someone that comes on property to install it. The earlier stuff used to discolor, but the new improved holds up well. I know a couple of people that installed the film themselves from a kit. Even though it was pre-cut on the corners it was hard to fit properly.

gary

avid
09-04-2009, 04:13 AM
Most of the larger RV dealers will have someone that comes on property to install it. The earlier stuff used to discolor, but the new improved holds up well. I know a couple of people that installed the film themselves from a kit. Even though it was pre-cut on the corners it was hard to fit properly.

gary

My impression was that given the undoubted expense of the product it would behoove one to pay a pro. Anyone doing this for Sprinters?

Altered Sprinter
09-04-2009, 06:55 AM
Bra's removal and mainTINance being my favourite occupation:rolleyes:
UK design superior to the US variant; but U.S starts at 79 US Dollars: I guess it depends on how much of an uplift you want:smilewink:
U.S

UK

Richard

312 diesel (closed)
09-04-2009, 09:33 AM
Personally I couldn't be bothered, if it doesn't want to get stone chipped it shouldn't have applied for the job as a bonnet. Besides, I'd rather see some honest stone chips as testimony to miles travelled than those ugly abberations. If it get really bad just point a spraygun at it, it's not like its a big panel.

bikergar
09-04-2009, 01:38 PM
Looking at the full bonnet (ha ha, I used a foreign word) design, I would think it would work fairly well as it is aligned with the hood gaps probably minimizing the effects of low pressure and also allowing a large portion of the debris to fall harmlessly.

gary

Altered Sprinter
09-04-2009, 01:40 PM
Looking at the full bonnet (ha ha, I used a foreign word) design, I would think it would work fairly well as it is aligned with the hood gaps probably minimizing the effects of low pressure and also allowing a large portion of the debris to fall harmlessly.

gary
And the Brits invented the wonder bra:lol:
Richard

Diamondsea
09-04-2009, 02:37 PM
I have had "Ultrashield" installed on my '09 Sprinter. This thin film is a 3M product I think, and mine was installed by a trained franchise holder in Richmond, VA. Search the Internet for Ultrashield and "auto detailing" shops and you will probably find an installer in your area. They have computer programs for all vehicles including Sprinters and the computer drives a wide cutting machine that cuts out the pieces to exact match. I opted for the headlights also. Front fenders were covered to about half way back -- there is a very faint line where the film ends. The small metal parts between the lights and grill were covered but they do not recommend doing the chrome grill (mine is a Dodge). They do not do the dark gray rough plastic "bumper". They recommended that I not have them use the pattern for the hood which goes only half way up, and that I pay some extra form them to hand do the hood to cover it all the way up to the windshield. For this the installer did a very good job of hand cutting out for the air openings and wrapping the film around the edges. Here in Virginia we use front license plates. I had them remove the plate and cover the entire low down chrome piece that the plate attaches to as this extends several inches to each side of the plate. My summer camping trip included lots of driving on gravel roads in Canada and I seem to have no stone chips. Cost? I can't find the paperwork but I think it was around 500 dollars. These places should be able to give a quote over the phone. Mine was almost new when done. They washed the van then used some sort of clay to rub it to get it super clean. I watched the installation and decided that I had made the correct choice to have them do it as it seemed very difficult and exacting. I would not want to do it from a kit and an instructional video.

clark
09-04-2009, 04:56 PM
I thought for a second you were mocking the southern ca sprinter owner:

"What's that dude?"
"It's my new sprinter, bra"

david_42
09-04-2009, 05:03 PM
The pickup I purchased last year had a bra on it and all of the paint under the bra is scratched up badly. Some spots are ground down to the bare metal.

sprinter77
09-04-2009, 07:28 PM
I was thinking about installing a bra over the hood for traveling. Anyone care to share their experiences pro or con with using one?

Now, before I get a bunch of ribald comments, I am talking about a bra for the van and the van only. :laughing:

Tim

Ciao Tim , I too have an european black sexy wonderbra like this :laughing:
this is a true protection for the little stone on the hood and i think the quality is very good http://boards.cannabis.com/images/smilies/custom/gthumb.gif
but now I've remove it for this reason also: :hmmm:
The bra for me is fine only in summer on the warm temperatures:drool:,
while in winter would not recommend it because it remains often wet because of the acid rain water ice dirty etc etc this could be rot or rust early on the hood only if you do not take away and not cleaning under for a long time .:idunno:
currently i only wear it sometimes when I travel on the fastest highway :smirk:
The installation is very quick and simple with the back string :popcorn:
arrivederci!
Gabriel :drink:
found an old funny pic posted by Max about the bra:lol:http://sprinter-source.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=12754&stc=1&d=1240431500

maxextz
09-04-2009, 09:38 PM
i love this picture of our gabriel he looks so sweet:lol:
Mi piace questa immagine del nostro Gabriel sembra cosė dolce
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=12754&stc=1&d=1240431500

max.........:smirk:

sprinter77
09-04-2009, 09:51 PM
i love this picture of our gabriel he looks so sweet:lol:
Mi piace questa immagine del nostro Gabriel sembra cosė dolce
max.........:smirk:
so sweet and stoned in that picture...:shhh: ha ha hahttp://www.abfnet.com/forum/images/smilies/laughing.gif

mean_in_green
09-05-2009, 08:24 AM
I don't get the bonnet bra thing - just use paint, it's the easiest panel on the vehicle!

TimJuhl
09-06-2009, 02:55 AM
I may regret it but I chose to ignore the general sentiment of the group and went ahead and purchased a bra from Fancher's in Ypsilanti, MI. http://fanchers.com/70/Sprinter%20Stuff.htm Call me a boob if you want but I think it will work for me. I stopped at their shop after dropping my daughter at Metro Airport and liked what I saw. The owner has a 2002 Sprinter and had failed to follow his own advice and left the bra on for a year and a half - this with the van parked outside. While I was there he took it off and it was surprisingly clean underneath and not marred that I could see. I think I will be a little more vigilant about taking it off and cleaning it, waxing the hood when I do so. It does look better than the acne spots :smilewink:

One advantage I have is that I park my van in my polebarn, so it is out of the sun and the weather except when we are on the road.

Fancher said to mention that if you purchase two or more items at the same time that you can take 10% off the whole order. As it was, I just got the bra, paying $80 for it.

Tim

Altered Sprinter
09-06-2009, 09:07 AM
I guess if you Girls have to wear a bra then, check out the under -wire otherwise:smilewink:
Don't Scratch Me

My old girl has no fleas
She's Scratch-less

Richard

Aqua Puttana
09-06-2009, 11:50 AM
Tim,
Your bra looks quite snazzy. I've always been a partial to black bras. The fit looks great. On the boob tube they always say getting a proper fit for your bra is important to how good you look.:whistle: AP/vic
I may regret it but I chose to ignore the general sentiment of the group and went ahead and purchased a bra from Fancher's in Ypsilanti, MI. http://fanchers.com/70/Sprinter%20Stuff.htm Call me a boob if you want but I think it will work for me. I stopped at their shop after dropping my daughter at Metro Airport and liked what I saw. The owner has a 2002 Sprinter and had failed to follow his own advice and left the bra on for a year and a half - this with the van parked outside. While I was there he took it off and it was surprisingly clean underneath and not marred that I could see. I think I will be a little more vigilant about taking it off and cleaning it, waxing the hood when I do so. It does look better than the acne spots :smilewink:

One advantage I have is that I park my van in my polebarn, so it is out of the sun and the weather except when we are on the road.

Fancher said to mention that if you purchase two or more items at the same time that you can take 10% off the whole order. As it was, I just got the bra, paying $80 for it.

Tim

maxextz
09-06-2009, 01:07 PM
it fits well tim:thumbup: but i think it takes the look of the van away maybe if they made them white it wouldnt be so noticeable i like the idea of the 3m stuff but its quite expensive and might discolour over time imo what simon says is right just prime paint and it will do a few years, anything that will hold water or dampness against the paintwork is bad news like those stick on plastic door protectors after a few years of holding moisture you will find rust at the door edges.
my hood is covered in pock marks but no rust.
max.......:2cents:

TimJuhl
09-06-2009, 03:39 PM
You know me, can't shut up. Truthfully, if I had a new vehicle or one without the multitude of little touch up marks that mine has I would probably have gone with the clear film. I described my situation to the folks at "invisible mask" and got this reply: "It will work fine. A lot of customers have the same situation and by putting film on you prevent more chips from happening but it won't hide the flaws that are there already."

As we all know, a good bra can hide a lot of flaws.....:smirk:

Tim

Altered Sprinter
09-07-2009, 04:58 AM
You know me, can't shut up. Truthfully, if I had a new vehicle or one without the multitude of little touch up marks that mine has I would probably have gone with the clear film. I described my situation to the folks at "invisible mask" and got this reply: "It will work fine. A lot of customers have the same situation and by putting film on you prevent more chips from happening but it won't hide the flaws that are there already."

As we all know, a good bra can hide a lot of flaws.....:smirk:

Tim
+1
Such an uplifting thread:smilewink:

longboarder63
08-28-2013, 12:30 AM
I may have taken a rock to the vertical line on my AC condenser causing it to leak the refrigerant. New AC condenser and labor cost nearly $1k.
Is there a sprinter bra with a mesh for the grill that might help me protect that front grill area? Anyone here have problems with the exposure of that AC condenser to road debris?

bcislander
08-28-2013, 02:06 AM
I may have taken a rock to the vertical line on my AC condenser causing it to leak the refrigerant. New AC condenser and labor cost nearly $1k.
Is there a sprinter bra with a mesh for the grill that might help me protect that front grill area? Anyone here have problems with the exposure of that AC condenser to road debris?

I bought a Bra &, more importantly, a Bug Screen for the grille, from Fanchers Upholstery (Google is your friend) for my NCV3, but they also sell them for T1Ns.

The bug screen is separate from the Bra & has what appears to be a very durable screen material. I'm very glad I bought it, just to eliminate the bugs getting to the radiator.

HTH