Sprinter 313cdi Brakes Noise low speed

raybla

Hi all, my brother has a Sprinter 313cdi 2001 and has a problem with brakes - the problem seems to be when braking at low speed around 10mph or last few turn of the wheels there is a noise like grinding and the brake pedal seems to come up slightly and vibrate noise seems to come from the front of the vehicle - brake pads have been replaced the sensor disk cleaned. any help or stock faults please - Ray

raybla

Hello Richard thanks for your reply yes rotors were replaced at the sane time as the pads no anti sqeak has been used as the noise seems to kick back through the brake pedal - but only at low speed just before stopping - could we suspect an ABS problem?
Regards Ray

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
ABS on a 2001 which brake system Bosch or ATE? second question was the brake system flushed and replaced with new DOT 4 fliud then re-primed to calibration check vacuum on master cylinder
If no anti squeak was used as this is to set the brakes to bed in , this is done inside of the first run six times to 35 miles an hour from brake pressure firm and release hence bedding in of brakes. what happens the heat is evenly distributed for a perfect bond between A the pad and B the rotor ..if not then potentially you can create a flat spot where it can the pads that is hits a dead spot on a the Rotor or pad
I assume your back brakes were bled as well yes or No. cleaning the rotors with wax and grease remover is important
pic is back pads but it's the same as the front procedure
When brakes are bleed this requires two to do it, one in the cabin pumping the brakes. and one to bleed them out separately until no air bubbles remains in the lines, at the same time a diagnostic code will be shown if calibration is showing a fault via the ecu other wise it's hit and miss.getting it right.
If say your system was not flushed, it may be because of rust or contaminates in the lines causing a slight mis braking under pressure , but it should be 100 percent squeak free, no rubbing squawking, or wobbling of brake rotors and at low speed ,as you indicated this is when it can happen
Richard

DSC00659 (Custom).JPG

DSC00658 (Custom) (Custom).JPG

DSC00663 (Custom).JPG

DSC00662 (Custom).JPG

raybla

Hello Richard - sorry its been a little while - we still have the problem to date and to recap this is whats been done so far - new rotors all round new pads all round replaced master cylinder and servo used but known good flushed and bleed new dot4 fluid complete - the system is Bosch - cleaned and degreased also bedded in brakes for some miles - seems to be good vacuum at servo we are now thinking maybe ABS pump faulty or error code needs clearing - as dont have access to diagnostic tool was going to purchase one what would you recommend as there are quite a few out there - and dont want to spend to much on one as some are quite expensive also is this vehicle OBD2 many thanks Richard for any help
regards Ray

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Hello Ray
OB2 depends on the data being up to date or is it euro configured specific for sprinters?
I'm limited at this point, down under we do this by the book, and using common sense step by step manual testing,sounds funny but it does work. Can you revise your currant concerns we have Chris a MB service manager UK based, and the man in green [MIG] plus Peter 312
to help you.
My brakes are ATE the one with a huge piston Vito and Sprinters use the bosh systems single and dual pistons,depends on class of tonnage.
so At what point are you at now ,maybe we can go through this step by step to find possibly causes and solutions to solve your concerns.
Question how many miles or K's have your calipers been serviced especially to how clean was the piston cylinders [such as rust or contaminates]
Thanks Richard

raybla

Hi Richard - Ok what we have here is perfectly normal braking at all speeds until we get down to around 5mph or less - what we get is when stopping below that speed or almost stopped is a noise like blowing a rasberry which seems to come from the servo and the brake pedal appears to rise back at you and judder slightly - hope that explains it. the calipers have been on the vehicle from new and to my knowledge have not been serviced - just a thought Richard would it be ok to disconect electrics to the ABS pump and test then - what do you think about that REGARDS

Ray

(doin this for my bro):thinking:

He says thank you

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Brake positioning switch may be sticking :shifty:I'm speculating
Judder with raspberry blow back..look under the master cylinder for seepage air leaks will look dusty but sort of fresh and obvious.
Pistons may be sticking or not correctly repositioned when pushed back in.
Check and clean cylinders, assuming the master brake cylinder servo was flushed a mechanical operation prior to new dot 4 fluid being put back, this process cleans lines of water and rust particularization.
Each wheel brake has to be separately bleed and primed it's a two man job one does the pumping in the van with brake pedal, the other is looking for a clean flow of fluid without airlocks in the visible plastic primers line.
I'm working off my lap top so no photos sorry.
Check that the rear brakes are not grabbing it may be your hand brake ABL lever is a tad over adjusted and the park brake is catching on the rear parking pads or they are seriously blocked with contamination such as brake dust and road debris,which results in uneven braking at low speed.
Look at the top of your differential housing there is a line that goes to the chassis rail that has the central mechanical housing for your rear brake system the line from the diff conects under the chassis rail to this unit its a pressure brake porting valve, then look at the same line at the top of your diff it should be damp not leaking???if so you are losing brake pressure at this section resulting in air in the lines,its rare and almost unheard of.
Left side of van rear forward from ABL level check adjustment springs are working you can tell when looking as driver pushes the brake pedal.
Also you have four lines coming into this section make sure they are tight and not leaking.
If you can not resolve what is occurring this needs to be re calibrated on a scanner to find either electrical or sensor fault. ECU fault codes are not stored on all model Sprinters ECU I think yours is or should be but it depends on the scanners ability to pick up,dependent on type and data configuration.

Hope this is of some use to you ,as it may not be the cause of your brothers problem.
Richard

Last edited:

raybla

Hi Richard - many thanks for all your ideas re our problem after going through a lot of what you said in your last post we still had the problem - so finding someone with the correct diagnostic tool was our next step - we found a guy with a Solus diagnostic machine - with machine pluged in and a road test we observed on abs test the left front wheel would not register any speed while going slow until doing about six MPH or above the other three wheels were ok and registered - so the conclusion was that the sensor was at fault - we replaced this at a cost of £70 and all was well at last - what can I say if only we had gone down that road first we may not have spent so much time and money on this vehicle the good part is that it went through the MOT test easily and can now go to work - thanks once again Richard for all your help.
Kind Regards from my brother and myself Ray
:clapping::clapping:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Your more than welcome, but your not alone,with trying to determine as to where a fault may lay.
One only has to look at the archives on the forum.
In most cases it comes down to two areas,one an ABS sensor! On the ATE setups the wear sensor I can not believe how many guys put them back when they are worn down to the wire.
In conclusion after 4 decades of owing commercial vehicles. I'm dammed if I'd ever let a so called mechanic attend the most critical-operating, component of my van "Brakes" so I do them myself.
Richard.

Top Bottom