PDA

View Full Version : Rust Protection..............

bladerunner
09-03-2009, 01:52 PM
Ok Guys...........................................

My (Italian panel shop) says I should wash my Sprinter in diesel and let it sit for a few hours and then wash it down with soapy water as a rust protectorant (am I spelling that correctly) ..................as the diesel will soak/seep into all the nooks and cranies and 'preserve' my sprinter!:idunno:

Feedback please..............................:popcorn:

Altered Sprinter
09-03-2009, 04:27 PM

My (Italian panel shop) says I should wash my Sprinter in diesel and let it sit for a few hours and then wash it down with soapy water as a rust protectorant (am I spelling that correctly) ..................as the diesel will soak/seep into all the nooks and cranies and 'preserve' my sprinter!:idunno:

Feedback please..............................:popcorn: come on Bladerunner are you on crack or what?
that is ridicules
Nooks and carnivores hide-away CRACKS use only a water based cavity wax spray
Roof if serve fading is involved thoroughly wash and scrub roof and channels plenty of suds and use a clay bar cut with No1 swirl and scratch polish Orange grade use a white medium waffle pad to polish to buff or No 2 fine cut and swirl White either by hand or buff at 1800 rpm and don't' let it dry or the polisher will flip you off the roof.
Prep off with No 9 Final inspection with a soft cotton cloth
Two coats of pure Cuban wax fluid, let dry to a haze, and take your time to do it right with a smooth Black pad not white.
Clean off each section with No 9 final prep to remove residue
Do it in the shade.
Repeat sides one at a time when finished clean the over spray off all plastic surfaces and wax with bumper gell spray does not restore ABS plastics
Glass needs to be cleaned with water spot removers let dry for five minutes, and wash off keep it off the badge on the bonnet. or the dam thing will turn the plastic cover white. same with bumpers clean with tooth brush and Vim Ajax liquid then wash hot water then wax prep off let dry for twenty minutes and use Gell plastic bumper shine mud flaps come up a treat. then spray each panel with no 9 final prep and clean each panel one at at time, to remove what rubbish is stuck or left behind on the paint.
the paint will not absorb Diesel just make a dam mess of it yourself and the environment apart from stinking, the block out.
Primers will absorb diesel and can actually cause rust as to the corrosive sulphur that is present in the fuel base.
Or at worst wash the whole van with Prep-off wax and grease remover. Oh light a smoke up and that will clean the van right up :eek: If you use a high quality wax it will last 12 months
When cleaning van use a product that has a soft reaction to the surface { Not a truck wash that will remove the polish very quick} with added wax to keep up appearance of the paint. Turtle works well and is not expensive either.
Richard Old dealers trick cheap kitten polish add oil and it looks like a sheet of glass but this was meant for enamel and the first generation of Acrylic paints neither had an over clear so I have no idea if it will work or maybe turn the paint to a yellow look.

Aqua Puttana
09-03-2009, 05:00 PM
bladerunner,
Translation for previous post: Richard says, "No, don't do it!":lol:

Hope this does some good. AP/vic

Altered Sprinter
09-03-2009, 05:09 PM
bladerunner,
Translation for previous post: Richard says, "No, don't do it!":lol:

Hope this does some good. AP/vic I knew there was a simpler way of doing dat:bash:
richard

maxextz
09-03-2009, 09:58 PM

Feedback please..............................:popcorn:

now thats the craziest thing ive ever heard:wtf:i think you need to update your translator
max..........:censored:

bladerunner
09-04-2009, 01:20 AM
now thats the craziest thing ive ever heard:wtf:i think you need to update your translator
max..........:censored:

He did add that while he was in the army (Italian that is) they did that all the time and it kept the army vehicles in rust free condition.

Was going to ask him about the overall successess of the Italian military campaigns in the last war and whether the diesel bathing of the vehicles was a plus or minus in that context......................but decided against that as I don't know to what and to who he has conections. :shifty::bash::lol: