PDA

View Full Version : Need Help - completely lost Power, van barely move.

gilee
04-24-2019, 12:02 AM
Hi guys, I need help...
I just head out to Montauk NY tonight, and drove 100miles nonstop all seems good. I stop the engine, restart at rest area within 5mins, engine starts right up, gear engaged (l think, no wierd noise, and I shift to 1st gear) but Van has zero Power.
I put the gas pedal to floor, RPM didnt shoot up, yet my van feels like just let go of the brake and start rolling ...

No lights, everything seema normal.

I stopped the van and restart, same thing.
I scanned the van and got no code from any module except the follow:
EWM: P1926, P2508 (i believe i have these 2 code all along)

Thank you guys!!!
Gilbert

gilee
04-24-2019, 12:15 AM
I dont smell anything, and looked under the van, dont see any fluid under the van.

Any suggestions?

GaryJ
04-24-2019, 02:42 AM
When you say first gear do you mean D, (drive)? Does the engine speed up at all? Does the van move at all? Do you know the fluid level in the transmission?

Gary

BGerker
04-24-2019, 02:58 AM
Sounds to me like plugged trans filter. After driving 2000 mi with a boat that was too heavy, I backed up 20 feet and when I put it back in D it felt like someone hooked a chain on my bumper. Truck nudged forward a tiny bit, but wouldn't get to 5mph or rev up the RPM. No MIL, no hints. I unhooked the trailer and found no change, still chained to an invisible anchor forward and back. New filter and fluid, and new towing habits, all is good. That was 200K miles ago.
If you don't have a trans dip stick, measure what you take out and put back same. Then drive to dealership for trans fluid check/fill. Or order a dipstick and IR thermometer online. You will need to know trans oil temp to read the dipstick properly.

autostaretx
04-24-2019, 03:33 AM
You could, just for chuckles, perform the brake switch reset maneuver ... takes 15 seconds:

engine off
crawl into pedal area
Press brake pedal with one hand
note the "stalk" that follows it down ...
With the pedal fully depressed, use your other hand to gently *pull* that stalk out ntil it hits its internal travel limit
gently release brake pedal to noraml resting position

The brake pedal swith has two sections: one controls the red lights out back, the other tells the ECU you're stepping.
If it thinks you're stepping, it won't increase RPM due to gas pedal pressure.

--dick

DRTDEVL
04-24-2019, 12:49 PM
The brake pedal swith has two sections: one controls the red lights out back, the other tells the ECU you're stepping.
If it thinks you're stepping, it won't increase RPM due to gas pedal pressure.

--dick

I keep hearing that last part, but it just isn't true. When changing my injectors, I made boost to pop them loose by "power braking" with slowly increasing throttle pressure until they popped. When searching for my boost leak after the GDE tune blew off a hose, I had a friend set the brake, and power brake to 2400 rpm in order to find the leak.

It may tell the ECU you're stepping on the brake for other functions like cruise, but its not preventing the accelerator's input.

Nautamaran
04-24-2019, 01:54 PM
Agreed: though the brake pedal does eventually cause the ECM to throttle back, there is no immediate blocking of power when at rest. I do notice an immediate power reduction when I two-foot the brake with steady throttle.

Aqua Puttana
04-24-2019, 05:25 PM
I agree that the power will eventually come up with the brakes on.

OP.
Two things that I would check.

Check all the piping, clamps, etc. from the air filter box to the turbo. Air leaks there can cause strange symptoms.

Check the transmission fluid level... just because. The engine rpm's should still go up even if the trans level is low.

Unplug the MAF sensor on the air filter box to see if power returns.

:cheers: vic

autostaretx
04-24-2019, 07:37 PM
I keep hearing that last part, but it just isn't true. When changing my injectors, I made boost to pop them loose by "power braking" with slowly increasing throttle pressure until they popped. When searching for my boost leak after the GDE tune blew off a hose, I had a friend set the brake, and power brake to 2400 rpm in order to find the leak.

It may tell the ECU you're stepping on the brake for other functions like cruise, but its not preventing the accelerator's input.
Must be MB honoring their drag-strip heritage

--dick

Patrick of M
04-25-2019, 09:02 AM
OP what scanner are you using?
Also + 1 fluid and filter change if problem is transmission.....does wonders barring a major problem. The tcm/ecm will power down and give you no drive in order to protect the transmission, a good scanner will temporarily clear the codes/heavy limp, but a major minor issue will reset limp almost immediately.
P.s. when did you last do fluid and filter on trans?

gilee
04-26-2019, 11:41 PM
Hi everyone, thanks for all the replies.
Good news and bad news... Bad news first, I dropped my phone into sea water... so cannot reply or check the forum until today. Good news, as I was waiting for you guys' input, I waited about 6 hrs before I start the Van and drive again... It worked! and I finished the Trip and drove about 500miles total on it without any problem.

When you say first gear do you mean D, (drive)? Does the engine speed up at all? Does the van move at all? Do you know the fluid level in the transmission?
Gary
I meant 1st gear. I was thinking maybe tran stuck on 5gear... I feel like the van has ZERO power. but even shift to 1st gear makes no difference.
I haven't check the transmission fluid yet, but last I check (after Miami road trip) it was right at full (with the dip stick)
I also checked the bottom, its bone dry, I don't see any leaks or dripping fluid.

Sounds to me like plugged trans filter. .....
I did changed my transmission fluid and filter about 9000miles ago. can it be plugged that soon?
I don't know how it feel about chaining down from the rear... when this happen, its exactly like, I just let go of the brake, but not stepping on the gas pedal. so the Van just start moving forward. (the problem is, I even step the gas to the floor, but nothing)
Can the gas pedal is broken??

You could, just for chuckles, perform the brake switch reset maneuver ... takes 15 seconds:

I will try it if it happens again. Thx!

Thank god everything works and I got back home without a problem.
But I worry this will happen again and I won't be that lucky anymore...
I will check the transmission fluid level again.
Anything else may cause this problem?
maybe Cam/Crank Sensor? Gas Pedal switch? Or the Torque Converter?

BGerker
04-29-2019, 11:59 AM
Accelerator pedal has 2 position sensors. Carsoft or iCarsoft handheld code scanner will tell the perceived position of both, but I think they would both need to fail to see your symptoms.
When you changed the trans filter/fluid 9k miles ago, where did you get the filter? OEM or eBay on the cheap? Over the 6 hour wait the fluid would all drain back to the trans-pan and may have back-flushed a clog in the filter. If this is the case, it will surely return eventually. There may be a fine line between "nothing at all" and "almost nothing" happening when you stepped on the gas pedal. A clogged trans filter would definitely be an "almost nothing" situation.
Six hours is enough time for anything to cool off. I wonder if something my have just been too hot, but what??? And Why?

Aqua Puttana
04-29-2019, 01:10 PM
But I worry this will happen again and I won't be that lucky anymore...
I will check the transmission fluid level again.
Anything else may cause this problem?
maybe Cam/Crank Sensor? Gas Pedal switch? Or the Torque Converter?
:idunno:

Unless/until the symptoms return it is a guessing game.

You can reflect on the symptoms a bit. Was the engine revving, but the van wouldn't move? Then suspect the transmission/TC. I doubt that a new transmission filter being blocked was the problem regardless of brand. The filter was sized for once and done transmission maintenance schedule. If the engine wasn't responding to the throttle it would point to engine problems.

A check for DTC's using a Sprinter specific scan tool is worthwhile. Record each and every code in each module before clearing any history.

Good luck.

:cheers: vic