Service Cost

surlyoldbill

About one hour of your time. Fuel filter $35-40, oil filter $10, oil $55 (mobil-1 0-40) or $25 (Delo 15-40), air filter $30.

I suppose a dealer service center would charge about $250-400 for $135 worth of parts and a half hour's work.

About one hour of your time. Fuel filter $35-40, oil filter $10, oil $55 (mobil-1 0-40) or $25 (Delo 15-40), air filter $30.

I suppose a dealer service center would charge about $250-400 for $135 worth of parts and a half hour's work.
Bill,
I'm all for DIY savings, but let's be fair. You're probably in the ballpark for the overall price, but the work you outlined cannot be completed in half an hour by a dealership and your parts prices aren't what they're working with either. Your 1 hour DIY time estimate is very optimistic in my experience also. Maybe I'm just a slow worker.:laughing: AP/vic

surlyoldbill

AP, my tongue in cheek "half hour of work" is actually probably accurate, they aren't going to stand there and watch the oil drain, they're going to do another task to another van while that is happening, so there would probably be one half man-hour of work, although the van would be in the service bay for an hour or more. Just picture them turning on and off a stopwatch as they are actually doing something with a van, but that's not they way THEY add up their time! ;-) Please not that I'm writing in humor and sarcasm, not anger or one-up-man-ship.

I tallied up the time it takes me to do each thing, realizing that I'll be changing the fuel filter while the oil is draining, and I came up with less than an hour.
air filter: 5 minutes
fuel filter: 20 minutes (including priming)
oil/oil filter: 5 minutes to remove filter and drain plug, 10 minutes to replace filter, plug and oil; undetermined time to drain, say 15-20 minutes if warm.

all time estimates are assuming I don't have to play hide & seek with a specific wrench or tool, lose the oil plug in the oil bucket, all filters and oil are sitting right there, I don't have "issues" such as an improper sealing water sensor or drain on the fuel filter, and I'm not counting clean-up time. So, yeah, it's pretty much a best case scenario time estimate. I should also add that my mechanic tools are less than 10' from the front of my van when I park in front of my shop and open the overhead, so I don't have to relay every tool and part through or around a house or yard.

Last edited:

MikeP

What would be the average or reasonable charge for service, oil and filter...fuel filter....air filter.
We had service on our 03 about 2 weeks ago at a Dodge Sprinter service dealership in OKC. Don't have the bill in hand but do recall Oil and filter was $99, Fuel filter service was $134, Radiator service $136. They also replaced 4 tires for little over $550. All togather and know this number cause was most expensive service we had yet, but, to be honest, most was due to tires the total for the day was $1,070.09
My wife is sitting here looking at me and made sure to remind me of the total.

Old dealership, they no longer have Sprinter mechanic but oil change there varied depending if we had coupon or "special" at time or might even be who rang up the bill ran anywhere from $39 to $150, it was always a suprise.

I'm no longer physically able to do my own service but before I use to do all the service work on our vans and trucks. Figure Sprinter has about or more clearance than Dodge and Chevy vans we use to have. If you are physically able to do the work, but not sure of how then the group here is a wealth of information and resource to learn how to perform the tasks. You might enjoy it and save some money too! I had two nephews that for some reason enjoyed helping me do service and wash all our vehicals every month. Now they do their own and save alot by doing it.

Good Luck!

TimJuhl

Prices will vary from dealer to dealer.... most of the quotes I've seen are double what it costs me to do it. Remember, they often charge labor by the book - so you might be charged for an hour or more even though it actually only takes them 20 minutes. So far I have done two oil and filter changes and changed the air filter, cabin filter and fuel filter once. I've also replaced pads and rotors on all four wheels.

If you are able to do your own maintenance I would highly recommend it. If you don't feel comfortable doing it on your own, most of the routine stuff can be done by your friendly local mechanic although you might want to chase down the parts and make sure they have the info on how to do each of the items (download the service manuals.) To me, the dealership is the choice of last resort unless it is a warranty item.

Tim

charliebebo

I have heard horror stories about cost. I just bought my 2003 Freightliner about 2 weeks ago. I have owned big bus conversions that get 6 mpg and down sizing. Gonna be a challenge from forty foot to 20 but I will grin at every fuel stop. I went to a local Dodge dealer in Atlanta and the wanted 150 to change the fuel filter. There was a plastic tie on one f the line...who knows for what. Nothing was broke. They claimed they would have to replace the fuel lines at a cost of 650 dollars. I replaced the fuel filter from Advance for 14.95 ( Purolator Premium) 10qts Rotella T 60.00, Purolator air filter 25.00. There was a new Fram oil filter under the front seat. 00 100 bucks total. Next time will have to buy oil filter. I hope I can find an independent Sprinter mechanic if something I can't handle.I have 97K total miles and hope I can see the 300 mark with out any thing major. I shudder at the thoughts of a Dealership... Blessings www.beatenbo.com

sprintguy

16+ yrs Master Commercial technician
Guys I am a dealership TECH, yes I know the price is high :bash: but don't forget not only are you paying for the tasks and the parts but..... You are paying for the Techs training, Knowledge ,ability (if you have a good tech?). I personaly have fixed other small issues on the Sprinters while they were in for just routine maint. Only because I know were to look. Now let me test you ? when was the last time you actually checked and cleaned the parking brake equilizer ? how about checking the tie rods? how about checking the lights, horn blah blah blah??? just so you know I am a flat rate tech and I only get paid if I am working (wrench in hand ) labor time I receive for 10K maint. = 2hrs T1N or NCV3 (oil, & filter, fuel filter, rotate and 23 Pt. inspection)
Now here is the kicker : Lets say you only bring your vehicle to the dealer for warranty only work, and Jon doe brings his in for everything (when he can) Who do you think gets treated better ?????
Warranty labor times are a complete JOKE !! you have to be superman to diagnose and repair in that time, Oh and speaking of Diagnosis, no matter how long I spend on the vehicle I will only get 1 hr of time if I am lucky. ( I go the extra mile to have my customers come back for cash work )
To end this rant if you bypass us dealer guys we will soon move on to a place were more money can be made ( tool boxes have wheels for a reason) and this may make it even harder for YOU to get good service (if tech was good) and were does that leave you in your time of need ??????

Carl

surlyoldbill

Carl, there is a big difference between the techs and the service writer. Something always gets lost with that middleman. I have a 100% instance of being overcharged, charged for work that wasn't done, even shoddy repairs (stripped threads), etc. when I've taken a vehicle to a dealer repair shop for warranty or non-warranty work. Because of that, I tell people to avoid dealer service centers for service unless it's under warranty or a recall (aka "free"). I understand you guys are working with your hands tied behind your back by the management, and getting mad at the techs is misdirected. That's why there are so many competent mechanics that own their own business, they got fed up with the dealer management business practices and moved on.

sprintguy

Carl, there is a big difference between the techs and the service writer. Something always gets lost with that middleman. I have a 100% instance of being overcharged, charged for work that wasn't done, even shoddy repairs (stripped threads), etc. when I've taken a vehicle to a dealer repair shop for warranty or non-warranty work. Because of that, I tell people to avoid dealer service centers for service unless it's under warranty or a recall (aka "free"). I understand you guys are working with your hands tied behind your back by the management, and getting mad at the techs is misdirected. That's why there are so many competent mechanics that own their own business, they got fed up with the dealer management business practices and moved on.
Bill I am starting to be one of those techs I guess :drink:

A more relaxed Carl

ducsingle

Guys I am a dealership TECH, yes I know the price is high but don't forget not only are you paying for the tasks and the parts but..... You are paying for the Techs training, Knowledge ,ability (if you have a good tech?).
The cost of the Tech's training, knowledge, and ability go into the hourly rate, which in my parts is $125/hour or more. If a 20 minute task is billed as an hour, then the hourly rate is effectively $375/hour. That's ridiculous.

Lets say you only bring your vehicle to the dealer for warranty only work, and Jon doe brings his in for everything (when he can) Who do you think gets treated better ?????
Each customer should be treated equally. Thanks for further encouraging folks to avoid dealer service shops!

Warranty labor times are a complete JOKE !! you have to be superman to diagnose and repair in that time, Oh and speaking of Diagnosis, no matter how long I spend on the vehicle I will only get 1 hr of time if I am lucky. ( I go the extra mile to have my customers come back for cash work)
It is unfortunate that Techs are not paid fairly for warranty work, but why is that the customer's fault? The customer purchased a product with a warranty. The warranty is a contract that says the customer is not responsible for certain repairs during the warranty period. If Dodge has a policy of squeezing Techs for warranty work, then I would encourage their Techs to leave and find a better job somewhere else. More good, independent mechanics would create competition for dealers, which is good for both customers and Techs.

ducsingle,
The guy is just trying to communicate a bit on a forum and give a mechanic's viewpoint, not debate the issues of the automotive world. He's been very up front and helpful here many times.

In business I did what my job required for every customer I dealt with. To think that those who were repeat customers or easier to deal with than others didn't get a bit more is way naive. Why can't people just take things as they are intended anymore?:idunno:

Contrary to some opinions even lowly mechanics and service people are able to read people very well no matter how slick and covert the customer may think they are being. (No offense intended to any mechanic or service person, quite the contrary.) Everyone should just keep going to dealerships with a chip on your shoulder and let me know how it works for you. Oh, that's right. We'll hear about it in a forum won't we? For this post I hope my sarcasm is coming through loud and clear 'cause it's not meant to be friendly. AP/vic

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Disparaging remarks alienated Mustangcrazy90 and he left.

We're all entitled to our feelings, but if we keep our communications on this forum professional and courteous/non-accusatory, we have a better likelihood that people like Carl, Chris Case, John Bendit and Andy Bittenbinder will stick around and continue offering free advice and ultimately continue trying to save us time and money.

Having said that, I agree with ducsingle to a point. Talented techs should consider independent shops.

Running a business isn't for everyone, but a Dealership is an inefficient business.

A small shop with a tech or two and a business manager can thrive. I lived it for several summers as pre-driving teen, and I've seen it recently.

Even small shops cost a lot of money to start.... Someone has to pay for it. I don't have a problem with paying competitive wages for a job I can't - or just don't want - to do.

I'd rather my dollars go to small (no offense Mr. Bendit), high-quality shop like Upscale Auto than to an inefficient, bureaucratic Limited Liability Corporation Licensee of larger, more bureaucratic Limited Liability Corporation where no one knows who's in charge, where a customer inquiry should be directed, or the true scope of their own job title's authority in the big machine.

I'll support my neighborhood small businesses every chance I get.

-Jon

Jon,
What I was trying to communicate does not just apply to dealerships. It applies to how service techs and service people in general are approached and treated by customers. Although in this case I was defending a mechanic/technician, the basic premise of my post applies to all service people in any business.

My post reworded.
ducsingle,
The guy is just trying to communicate a bit on a forum and give a mechanic's viewpoint, not debate the issues of the automotive world. He's been very up front and helpful here many times.

In business I did what my job required for every customer I dealt with. To think that those who were repeat customers or easier to deal with than others didn't get a bit more is way naive. Why can't people just take things as they are intended anymore?

Contrary to some opinions even lowly mechanics and service people are able to read people very well no matter how slick and covert the customer may think they are being. (No offense intended to any mechanic or service person, quite the contrary.) Everyone should just keep going to dealerships service shops with a chip on your shoulder and let me know how it works for you. Oh, that's right. We'll hear about it in a forum won't we? For this post I hope my sarcasm is coming through loud and clear 'cause it's not meant to be friendly. AP/vic
Just as a dealership is not necessarily completely inefficient, independent shops are not necessarily all honest, knowledgeable and efficient. I employ independent shops and dealerships for repairs as fits the situation. Just because a mechanic/technician works for a dealership doesn't mean he is inferior. Not every person has the personality, desire, or opportunity to go into being an independent service operation owner or put up with the politics of working for a "Mom and Pop" employer. I know I don't possess the talents necessary to do that.

Painting dealerships or independent shops with a wide brush is just not fair to either business model.

Sorry. I guess I'm done with my ranting.:rant: I'm also just not very good at debate.:bash: I'll just shut up for a while. AP/vic

charliebebo

The whole thing that put my mind to this tread was the fact the Chrysler dealership in Marietta, GA tried to stick it to me for $650.00 to replace 2 fuel lines on a fuel filter that are about 3 feet long and told me the filter couldn't be changed without replacing and after investigating myself there was nothing wrong with the lines. I have owned 10 big buses in my business and it's no different any where with hopefully a small numbers of crooks and rip offs. You should see some of the things the bus shops try. I'm sure there are a lot of good guys, techs and service people in the business. No offense to any one but pity the poor guy that gets suckered on a couple fuel lines!!!!!:smirk:

ducsingle

I'll go to any shop (dealer or independent) where the mechanics are honest and I am not overcharged for work performed. And billing me an hour for something that takes 20 minutes is overcharging.

Fifteen years ago when I drove an Acura Integra I went to an independent service shop run by a couple of brothers from Eastern Europe. They only worked on Hondas and Acuras, and they were awesome: timely with appointments, all parts removed from the vehicle were shown to the customer pointing out why they were replaced, accurate estimates, and very reasonable rates. They didn't have to bother advertising because their calendar was filled through word of mouth from happy customers. A co-worker still takes his Honda there and he says they haven't changed their business practices a bit.

Let's face it, there's a reason folks mistrust service shops - - - because there are a fair number of bad apples out there. And the bad behavior seems to be particularly pervasive at dealer service shops. For example, one of my female friends has a 4 or 5 year old VW wagon with the W8 engine and four wheel drive system. Last week she took it into the local VW dealer for routine servicing and was told that she needed "a new engine and transmission" by the service manager. She asked me what I thought and I told her the guy was almost assuredly full of crap and to take it to at least one reputable independent mechanic for a second opinion. She found a well reviewed independent shop on Yelp, and the shop said there was nothing wrong with her car. They told her the W8 engine and four wheel drive combination is quite rare and desirable, and that the dealer was probably hoping she would freak out and trade-in her car.

And by the way, my friend was a long term customer at that dealer. Is that the kind of long term customer preferential treatment referenced in the above posts?

Hopefully sites like Yelp will help weed out the bad apples in the automotive service industry, and the honest shops will thrive.

And by the way, my friend was a long term customer at that dealer. Is that the kind of long term customer preferential treatment referenced in the above posts?
No. I don't feel that refutes anything I said above. Would you change your direction and methods if I were I to recite the bad stories I have regarding independent shops and dealerships?

Let's just say that I will continue to deal with service people the way I would want to be treated until they give me a reason to do otherwise. It's worked well for me so far. I've rarely needed to change my tack. AP/vic

Ciprian

Spark Plugs not allowed!
Let's just say that I will continue to deal with service people the way I would want to be treated until they give me a reason to do otherwise. It's worked well for me so far. I've rarely needed to change my tack. AP/vic
There are good and bad people everywhere. I do all I can myself cause it is one of my hobbies. When I am not able to fix it myself , or it is under warranty I seek help somewhere else. If they know what they do and they don't overcharge me they get to see me again when I need them. If not, I will look elsewhere. I will not support a crooked dealership or shop with my money.

For what is worth, I have been treated badly by 2 Dodge dealers and 1 VW dealer. Never had a problem with the Honda dealer that I went to, but I only needed them twice in 16 years. And that '91 Accord is still kicking and almost 300k. Just wish Honda would make a diesel, I would never look at a VW again.

sprintguy

First of all how can you call someone a crook when they are just charging money based on a labor time that was based on the manufactures labor studies. Should I get less than what the book time is because I have been able to carry out that certain task faster and deliver the same quality?? How is that fair to my family ???

Second: if you are unwilling to start a good relationship with any DEALER you go to , Why should they start a good relationship with you (or anyone thats unwilling). I would say that 75% of my customers are loyale repeat customers, my dealer does not advertise that we are a Sprinter dealer, news travels fast when just one person finds something they like. Though it is a shame that most people dwell on the bad instead of moving past it and realizing "sh** I have bad days too!" That is the problem with the repair field , every tech is to be perfect all the time no matter what , thats a lot of weight to be carried on ones shoulders don't you think.
Best job in the country is " weatherman or weatherwoman" why you can be wrong 90% of the time yet you still have a job. :lol:

Carl

ducsingle

First of all how can you call someone a crook when they are just charging money based on a labor time that was based on the manufactures labor studies. Should I get less than what the book time is because I have been able to carry out that certain task faster and deliver the same quality??
Aren't those the same "manufacturer's labor studies" that are used to calculate the warranty repair times that were referenced above as resulting in underpayment for Techs? So in your view if the book time is more than what is actually required, that's okay because it just means the customer pays more. But if the book time is less than what is actually required, it's unfair to the Tech? Sorry, you can't have it both ways.

Second: if you are unwilling to start a good relationship with any DEALER you go to , Why should they start a good relationship with you (or anyone thats unwilling). I would say that 75% of my customers are loyale repeat customers, my dealer does not advertise that we are a Sprinter dealer, news travels fast when just one person finds something they like. Though it is a shame that most people dwell on the bad instead of moving past it and realizing "sh** I have bad days too!" That is the problem with the repair field , every tech is to be perfect all the time no matter what , thats a lot of weight to be carried on ones shoulders don't you think.
I think most people are happy to pay fair a reasonable amount of money for reasonable service and would like to have a good relationship with their service shop (see my above post re my old Honda/Acura mechanics). And no, I don't expect perfection from anyone in the service sector, but at $125/hour, I expect fairly high quality work and responsibility for sub-standard work.

Top Bottom