PDA

View Full Version : Check this or else!

CPH628
04-22-2019, 10:46 PM
OK,
Here's my story. A week ago I was driving my 2006 sprinter based Winnebago View motor home to get new shoes(tires, Tyres for all you Europeans). As I got of the exit on the lovely Garden State Parkway i heard this flapping noise under the hood( bonnet for you Britts!). at the same time every dash light you can imagine came on and the engine stopped. All of this was about 10 seconds in time. I coasted to the side of the road. I opened the hood and to my horror the wiring harness that goes over the fan shroud was shredded! I looked at the fan and saw a thin piece of rubber had wrapped around the fan an acted like a saw and cut the harness. This harness included wires for the O2 sensor and others. So being the electronics tech I am, I got some tape and commenced twisting and taping. Once I got done I removed the rubber from the fan. I was able to drive it home. I checked the serpentine belt and saw the outside rib of the belt had separated from the belt and caused the damage. The Dayco belt had only 20K miles on it along with new tensioner
and pulley's. I was only getting a 0032 generic code. Fixed the wires and re[laced the belt (not Dayco). Took it to a trusted MB mechanic with the right tools. Found all the wiring repairs I did were perfect. No sensor failures. When the wires were cut it caused ECU/problems. New ecu on its way. Who in the world routs a cable bundle where a fan issue could cause a failure like this? If you have an inline 5 cylinder look at the issue and just move the bundle. Easy to do. It may keep you from a failure a week before your long scheduled trip like I am going thru!

outbound
04-22-2019, 10:54 PM
really gotta watch out for non OEM / aftermarket parts (esp anything that moves, rotates on the front of the engine)
ask me how i know this...

Rickpcmp3
04-23-2019, 01:01 AM
Move the bundle?

Got a pic of what you mean?

Aqua Puttana
04-23-2019, 01:13 AM
20k mile failure ... Inspect all of the serpentine belt system components very carefully. Chicken or the egg. There have been reports of idler pulleys cracking, tensioners failing, and other issues.

:cheers: vic

syncro_G
04-23-2019, 03:18 PM
What everyone is saying here! I’ve had my van for several years now and every component the serpentine belt touches has failed. Every one of them were cheap aftermarket from the previous owner and many of the failures happened in the first 10k of my ownership.
It’s really time consuming to tear down the front of the van to get to those parts.

Gabe Athouse
04-23-2019, 05:29 PM
What brand was the tensioner?

Bobnoxious
04-24-2019, 03:10 PM
https://www.mbwholesaleparts.com/content/dam/microsites/mb-wholesale-parts/pdf/Genuine-Parts.pdf

jagarwal
04-25-2019, 04:02 AM
https://www.mbwholesaleparts.com/content/dam/microsites/mb-wholesale-parts/pdf/Genuine-Parts.pdf

This reads so much like a satire it feels like I'm missing the joke.

Nautamaran
04-25-2019, 03:56 PM
This reads so much like a satire it feels like I'm missing the joke.:laughing:
Would be funnier if I hadnít just been quoted CAD$57.00 per quart for rear diff gear oil at the parts counter... (I still think inkjet fluid holds the markup crown? :smirk:)

-dave

locksmith72
05-02-2019, 07:02 AM
I have an 06 , 2500. the idler pully went out last summer, taking the belt with it. ordered the new parts from Europarts of San Diego . They lasted a few months & the tensioner & pully went out. (The pully that I had replaced was still servicable ) Spoke with a friend who is a factory MB mechanic & reading notes from Europarts found if one of the pully goes bad , order the kit to replace then all & the belt . Much more cost effective to fix it correctly 1 time & not lose the use of the truck for too many days. As these seem to be a weak point. I carry an extra kit so if it goes I'm not down for too long .

mcj7247
05-04-2019, 12:53 PM
I had an idler pulley (composite) split in half and the flying s-belt cut through the radiator hoses and the wires you mentioned. It was a $2k breakdown including the tow and took 3 days to fix on the road. I now have spare heater hose, upper and lower rad hoses and the belt kit as spares.