Sprinter will not pass CO emission because of CEL thrown during test

i have been dealing with my sprinter cutting off under heavy load for years now. After replacing some injectors and still having the problem i learned to drive in a way where it rarely happened. Last summer it started happening more frequently. it got to the point where if i stomped on it i could kill it every time. another injector replacement, & new fuel lines, fixed the problem for about 2 months and it was back. this was while i was living in PA with no emissions tests.

Now im in colorado and my van will not pass the test on the dyno because it throws a CEL mid test. all the emissions are well within spec. they could also make it die on the dyno by stomping on it. I took it to als autohaus, who has sprinter customers, and it was there over a month where they could not figure out how to prevent it dying under heavy load. I didnt have time to start poking around with it myself at that time other than giving it a scan with my autel which showed a fuel pressure exceeded code (dont have the exact code, as i erased it and do not have my photos from that time)

at the mechanic

2 injectors were replaced 1 & 5
the fuel pressure solenoid at the back of the rail
fuel filter

van still dying

high pressure fuel pump was replaced and now it does not die when you stomp on it, but it failed the test today on the dyno. CEL thrown mid test again.

i cannot replicate this CEL on the road. i can gun it and the van accelerates and does not throw a code. i see no fuel leaks and there are no air bubbles in the lines

a scan today showed these codes.

CR Fault 3

N3FFF unknown fault
P2203-32 external quantity control by ASR
P0500-1 Vehicle Speed Signal can data invalid

ABS Fault 2

C1104 wheel speed sensor
C1105 wheel speed sensor

EGS Fault 2

and when i try to read these codes it shows none

last time on the dyno the codes thrown were wheel speed and the fuel pressure exceeded.

lindenengineering

First Autohuas are taking it to dumb schite tester.
Where do they find these untrained people?????

The rolling road test is only on the back wheels hence the front axle wheel speed sensors will trip a code--They are not turning under test remember !

The method is to find a 4 wheeled synchronous power rolling road or blot out the front axle wheel speed outputs with a scanner .

The abrupt cutting out might be an issue as usually the engine will run OK with no front axle speed outputs.
Easy to see whats going on in live data with a factory style scanner.
Do it very day!
Well almost every day!
Dennis r

the van no longer dies under heavy load, it only throws a CEL on the dyno.

i took it to Excel diesel testing the same place my roomate brings his 2005 to and has had no issues with their dyno.

DRTDEVL

I was gonna say take it to Lindenengineering... but he's already here.

I was also about to say your Fuel Quantity Control Solenoid sounds suspect.

lindenengineering

the van no longer dies under heavy load, it only throws a CEL on the dyno.

i took it to Excel diesel testing the same place my roomate brings his 2005 to and has had no issues with their dyno.
Two different vehicles !!!
One is more sensitive than the other with sensors, & electronic baud rates etc than the other.
Dynoman Diesel is the guy to go to!
Dave (Canadian) Doesn't fix vehicle just tests diesels big 'uns & small 'uns --so he has no interest in fixing faults imaginary otherwise.
Dennis

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
04-06 om647 pump has the FQCV mounted in a socket on the pump’s base plate. It closes off the fuel entry point to interrupt LP fuel entering the HP pumping elements. The valve is pwm controlled, so can be modulated to precisely manage the fuel quantity.

According to the 2003 SM description of the hp pump, it uses a different control scheme, shutting down one of the three hp pump elements using the “high pressure fuel shutoff solenoid”, thus reducing the volume of high pressure fuel delivered to the fuel rail by 1/3. This appears to be less precise, so would rely more on the fuel rail solenoid valve to control pressure.

-dave

lindenengineering

Correct.
BUT
Do make sure you have the correct socket on the CCV!!
For info the breather heater sleeve socket and the CCV sockets are interchangeable.
The CCV socket is a 45 & 45 angled socket to make a 90 degree fitting, whereas the breather heater heater socket is straight.

Don't get them mixed up as you will get peculiar running symptoms.

Also the wires to the CCV are slightly thicker than the breather.
All the best .
Dennis

i also just noticed on my emissions tests

the first test
60mph 02% opacity
50mph 00% opacity
40mph 08% opacity

now after the repairs

60mph 35% opacity
50mph 30% opacity
40mph 34% opacity

so i paid a bunch of money to have worse emissions results.

lindenengineering

i also just noticed on my emissions tests

the first test
60mph 02% opacity
50mph 00% opacity
40mph 08% opacity

now after the repairs

60mph 35% opacity
50mph 30% opacity
40mph 34% opacity

so i paid a bunch of money to have worse emissions results.
Something is wrong!!!
It should be where your first set of figures were recorded.
Call us for a quick scan to identify the problem area.
Dennis

Top Bottom