T1n rear door hinge bolt ?

thomasrobert23

Going to put on a new rear door on my dodge 2006 (2500, I did a dry run so I know how to take the handles off and what bits I need. But one bolt type has me stumped , it is the external Torx type ( 4 of them ) that you have to go through the 2 holes in door connecting to hinge, seems like it should be an E10 torx but I may be wrong. So the two questions I have
1 what deep socket bit will I need ?
2 I would like to replace the bolts, but cannot find them online , need to know 100% and all I gave found are illustrated picts with no details to see if it’s the external Torx type.

See picts

( upstate NY salt has rotted out my doors pretty bad which is why I’m replacing

Attachments

Last edited:

Patrick of M

2005 T1N 2500 (NA spec)
Well the sockets don’t need to be deep. As to the size, whatever u put on there was the wrong size, they are heavily painted so maybe the correct size will need to be hammered on. I don’t know my sizes in female Torx sockets (whatever they are called) but just get the one that needs to be hammered on, or burn off all that paint.
As to replacement bolts, just get whatever metric bolt fits the bill, they don’t have to be Torx unless the assembly will only fit a Torx.

JonnyBoats

I too would like to know the specifications for these bolts so I can order some.

The lower right hinge on my rear doors came unbolted and I needed to remove a panel and insulation to get to the bolts on the inside of the door. Both bolts had backed out completely and were laying in the door. Too bad they did not put some thread lock (lock-tite) on them at the factory so that they would not vibrate loose.

I then proceeded to lose one of the bolts, so that is why I need to replace it.

I can't help with the bolt specs. If you remove one and take it to an auto supply house or home box store you can probably match to a hex head fastener.

If you get the information please take the time to include it in this thread for the next person.

:cheers: vic

Gaspiper

The 3rd bolt that holds the mirror that goes through the door frame where there’s a black plastic plug FITS the rear door hinges both length and threads wise .
The head however is different , it’s a star socket hole but the hinges bolts are Torex . It fits thats all that matters . There’s more than one way to skin a cat .
Patrick , you do need a deep socket for the higher up hinges !!!
Ask me how I know .
8 mm socket will work but the torxs is better if it’s a 1/4 inch socket as the 3/8 is too fat to fit through the holes for the upper hinges unless you want to drill them bigger .Be mindful that it is very easy to strip the upper hinges bolts with 8 mm deep socket and I would get the proper torxs socket instead and be on your merry way .
The lower hinges are much easier to undo and don’t require deep socket .
Mopar part number for the hinge bolts and or the 3rd mirror bolt is :
05125420 AA .
It’s a hole ? aka star head bolt and it will not be a Trox like the original ones that came with the van so I am told by Chrysler .

Attachments

Last edited:

jrod5150

I use a standard socket (Not A deep) E-10 1/4 drive with an extension. Never tried with a 3/8s drive but id think with a standard depth socket you could fit and just run the extension through the hole

Gaspiper

I just want to add that I only had 3/8 drive E10 socket at the time which wouldn’t fit through the holes for the upper hinges but no problem for the lower hinges and I did not want to drill them ( upper holes ) out but regretted that later so I used 1/4 inch 8 mm deep socket that stripped one of the bolts .... After some ? and drilling it came out .
use a 1/4 inch E10 and you will be ahead of the game .

I just want to add that I only had 3/8 drive E10 socket at the time which wouldn’t fit through the holes for the upper hinges but no problem for the lower hinges and I did not want to drill them ( upper holes ) out but regretted that later so I used 1/4 inch 8 mm deep socket that stripped one of the bolts .... After some ? and drilling it came out .
use a 1/4 inch E10 and you will be ahead of the game .
I have found this set to be useful for some jobs. Maybe it would fit?

https://www.harborfreight.com/6-Pc-38-in-Drive-E-Socket-Set-68016.html

It helps to make the tensioner replacement a bit easier.

Added:
Apparently there is a need for deep E sockets.

This "Deepwell" E set will be my next coupon purchase.
E10, E11, E12, E14, E16, and E18

6 Pc 3/8 in. Drive E-Socket Set
vic

Gaspiper

I have found this set to be useful for some jobs. Maybe it would fit?

It helps to make the tensioner replacement a bit easier.

vic
True that and I agree with you Vic. I did a search ? on both eBay and Amazon on a 1/4 inch E10 socket but they cost more on their own and Cheaper to buy them in a set like this one :
MAXPOWER 7 Piece 1/4-Inch Drive Female Torx Socket Set, Cr-V, Female Star Socket E4 E5 E6 E7 E8 E10 E11 Torque Socket Set https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07GFD2YDX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabt1_zg7WFb6VQ5ACH?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Top Bottom