Replacement engine

pauli

Hi, i have a 2010 sprinter with engine code 651 955 and finally at 446,000 miles my big end let go :cry: i am looking at replacing the engine but my question is i have the engine with the dipstick on the left and coloured red and the removable sender in the fuel filter but these engines are quite scarce unless they have very high miles. I have spotted a few engines which i think are from the face lift model which still have engine code 651 955 but where the dipstick is on the right and coloured yellow and the fuel sender comes fitted as part of the filter. Has anyone or does anyone know if this engine would fit and if so is there any mods that need to be done, many thanks in advance Paul

Düsseldorfer

Hello Paul, I don't know what the secondhand engine situation is like in the UK, but Stateside the 651 was used in some Jeeps as well as the MB sedans. Man with Gun successfully installed one of these non-Sprinter motors in his NCV3 after swapping out all the external components. Perhaps he will comment here on any issues or problems he found in doing that.

Somewhere on the forum there are some photos of the operation, which he posted a few years back, but I don't have the link -- you can probably find it by paging through his posts. Might not be directly comparable to your situation; Euro versions of the engines might have a greater variety of e.g. camshafts that would mess up a swap.

Last edited:

pauli

Hi, guys i have found out today that as long as the engine codes are the same i.e on my van 651 955 then any engine with that code will fit whether it be a euro 5 or 6, which at least opens up more doors for a replacement just gotta shell out the 3.5k now :-( on a low mileage 35k engine, but hey if i can get 446,000 miles (this being it`s first ever breakdown) from it like the last one then all`s good i suppose. Thanks for your reply's guys

Top Bottom