PDA

View Full Version : 2006 sprinter rear brake lines - $750 to replace?

Carminooch615
04-17-2019, 05:39 PM
Hello,

My 2006 dodge sprinter 2500 has some very rusty brake lines - only the rear. Left and right. I know the tank has to be dropped.
I have it at a mechanic that is known to work on sprinters and he wants $750 for parts and labor. Says the lines canít be bought and that theyíre a copper type material so they donít rust (canít remember what he said exactly).

I didnít expect it to be this much but Im also not claiming to be up to speed with the industry rate etc. Iím waiting to give him a call back to authorize or decline the repair. I simply donít have the time to do it myself.

Is that a fair price?

It is #15 and #16 that need replacement.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190417/b0b9d4cc46638f55e0ca38986e6269dd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bobnoxious
04-17-2019, 06:30 PM
Sounds like a fair price. Remember, system requires bleeding after repair. Just saw one dealer quote for Brake fluid replacement for $200.

lindenengineering
04-17-2019, 06:44 PM
Its a fair price.
Dennis

Aqua Puttana
04-17-2019, 08:35 PM
FWIW. Even the dealerships can no longer provide the shaped/preformed OEM lines. The lines come straight and need to be bent.

Not that you asked...

If you are not a DIY type I would have all of the steel brake lines replaced while they are doing the job. If one or more is rusted, it is safe to assume that the others are in a similar state of deterioration. It isn't so safe to assume that the because the other lines aren't leaking (yet), that they are fine.

:2cents: vic

Patrick of M
04-17-2019, 11:28 PM
Sounds like the right price. If you know how to make brake line flares, bends etc, you can do it yourself ... it will be easily 8 hrs of fiddling if you are lucky and all goes well (not to mention broken bleeders..that will add the me and $$).

Carminooch615
04-18-2019, 06:41 AM
I truly appreciate the help and all of the suggestions. Thatís why this community is great. Thank you all! The remainder of the brake lines will be inspected and weíll keep aírollin down the road

Garandman
04-19-2019, 03:56 AM
Our RR was leaking. They fabricated a replacement for $48: not sure if they used official MB Unobtamium lines. Labor was $237 and included some other rear brake work (new disks and pads).

Bobnoxious
04-19-2019, 05:03 AM
https://oppositelock.kinja.com/the-truth-about-copper-brake-lines-1818499200

MikeP
04-19-2019, 04:32 PM
Back year or 2 back front driver side brake fluid leak. One place said couldn't get lines unless located elsewhere. Shop owner recommended another shop that dealt with RV's and general vehicles. When they checked out all lines except passenger front was rusty. They fabricated lines and pressured checked. Cost alot less than your quote but may be location, I'm in Oklahoma.
Couple days later they replaced fight front along with that square block that hose to wheel located. But didn't charge anything said they should of just went ahead done it when all rest was but that side looked/tested under pressure good.

Carminooch615
04-19-2019, 07:16 PM
Being located just outside of nyc definitely brings the price up a bit I would imagine. I like knowing at least they will be copper, the link above is very informative and an interesting read.