“M” button on dash doesn’t function

bensalvage

I have a 2007 sprinter with the standard dash. Since buying it used the M button doesn’t work. I’ve pulled the battery to reset but it still doesn’t work. Any ideas? Replace the whole dash?

sparkplug

I bought a secondhand instrument cluster as I thought mine might be faulty (headlight warning buzzer didn't work, but it turned out to be something else) and when fitting it I discovered that someone had obviously been a bit heavy handed and had snapped the plastic stem which pushes down onto the actual switch.

Easy thing to check. I can't remember which side was broken on mine so it's a 50/50 chance that I've got a spare which you would be welcome to!

Let me know if that's the fault and I'll dig through my parts bin to see if I can help you out :cheers:

Düsseldorfer

Are you pressing the O button first for 30 seconds to open the menu ?
It works differently on an early NCV3, Nelson: pressing M also scrolls you through different simple options, like setting the clock or recalibrating TPMS, in addition to the hidden oil service etc reset menus.

I think Sparkplug might be on to something, Ben. Of course the worst case is that some gorilla broke the microswitch on the instrument panel circuit board... but start by investigating the button first, as he suggests. Replacing the instrument panel (circuit board & gauges) is a dealer job I think -- I believe it needs coding with a top-level scan tool. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.)

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
It works differently on an early NCV3, Nelson: pressing M also scrolls you through different simple options, like setting the clock or recalibrating TPMS, in addition to the hidden oil service etc reset menus.

I think Sparkplug might be on to something, Ben. Of course the worst case is that some gorilla broke the microswitch on the instrument panel circuit board... but start by investigating the button first, as he suggests. Replacing the instrument panel (circuit board & gauges) is a dealer job I think -- I believe it needs coding with a top-level scan tool. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.)
I understand what the M should do, but the instructions I saw said to press the O for 30 seconds first then scrolling thru M works , I guess they got it wrong http://resetservicelight.com/reset-service-light-indicator-mercedes-sprinter/

Last edited:

Düsseldorfer

I understand what the M should do, but the instructions I saw said to press the O for 30 seconds first then scrolling thru M works , I guess they got it wrong
No, that's right, I'm just saying that the M button does other things that would immediately tell Ben that it didn't work.

sparkplug

Replacing the instrument panel (circuit board & gauges) is a dealer job I think -- I believe it needs coding with a top-level scan tool. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.)
It didn't need any diagnostic tools or dealership intervention for me.

I simply removed the old one and plugged in the new one. :thumbup:

After a few seconds and some odd noises it all fired up and displayed my mileage etc just as the old one did. :cheers:

Simple job.

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Any updates Ben? I’m having similar problems in that both the O and M aren’t functioning on a used van I just bought
'Bensalvage' posted his query back in April 2019 and hasn't logged on to the forum since so I doubt you will get a reply from him.

I see you have now posted a new thread now so that is probably the best thing to have done.

Keith.

Top Bottom