egr 6cyl

I know for some reason a lot of people like the 6cyl vs the 4cyl. However I gotta say the nice thing about the 2.1 is you never have to touch the EGR. On one of my 2.1 the engine is at 87000K's and the Mercedes service tech just cleaned it out.
So I have a new 2018 with the 6 cyl because Mercedes for some reason stopped the 2.1.
I am at the 20K mark and decided to change the oil instead of waiting for the recommended 30K.
At the same time I decided to clean the EGR. In the past with the 6 I would only start to clean them when they would begin to give me trouble. But I thought I would start right off the bat today. this is a pic of how the EGR looks after 20K. So I guess I would recommend cleaning it every oil change.

Mike

Attachments

showkey

So I have a new 2018 with the 6 cyl because Mercedes for some reason stopped the 2.1.

Mike
Because the 4 cylinder does not pass emissions and has been under investigation for a possible cheat ? There 10 other threads on the topic.

Maybe that’s why the EGR is so clean:bash::bash::dripsarcasm:

CJPJ

2008 3500 170 EXTD 3.0 V6 OM642.993 4.182
That's a lot of carbon. Does that engine idle a lot?

No it does not idle much, as matter of fact it runs on the highway all day long at around 2200/2400 rpm

CJPJ

A Poor fuel quality of ~40 Cetane is another possible causes of incomplete combustion; .. that accumulated amount of soot in a relative short duration of 20,000K seams out of normal excessive. ..
Is the fuel used off brand low priced?

Last edited:

I have no frame of reference to say whether the amount of soot on the EGR valve in the picture is excessive or not. It may be very typical. :idunno:

I will offer the opinion that the amount of soot shown shouldn't be enough to affect the mechanical operation of the EGR valve to the point of problems. The buildup appears rather flocculent. I've seen similar or worse in other properly operating EGR valves. It's tough to tell from a picture.

:cheers: vic

CJPJ

I have no frame of reference to say whether the amount of soot on the EGR valve in the picture is excessive or not. It may be very typical. :idunno:

I will offer the opinion that the amount of soot shown shouldn't be enough to affect the mechanical operation of the EGR valve to the point of problems. The buildup appears rather flocculent. I've seen similar or worse in other properly operating EGR valves. It's tough to tell from a picture.

:cheers: vic
I just compared my own EGR cleaning @ 51700 to his @ 20000 and there wasn't near that much soot ...

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showpost.php?p=313116&postcount=19

Ciprian

Spark Plugs not allowed!
When i replaced my EGR on my T1N at about 160k it looked similar to yours. I replaced it because of an electeical issue, the EGR was still turning easily by hand. The replacement still works now at 780k, never been cleaned.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

CJPJ

In my case: The cause for cleaning was the engine hiccup twice at a light throttle/exceleration. Turned out to be a small single soot flake caught wedge/ = between the narrow seal surface and the butterfly valve.

As stated I heard the EGR motor labor in its cleaning cycling. And worth repeating (cycling the key (for a fue cleaning cycles) would have dislodged that flake.

The EGR has two springs, a clock spring ~ which when operating properly returns the butterfly to the closed position: another spring that lightly seats the butterfly against the hardened sealing surface, that spring held a carbon soot flake, app.size *, sandwiching it in place.

That EGR cleaning @ 51700 cured the hiccups, and now have 79000 ...

Surprising to me was how that carbon flake got sandwiched = in there and stayed for the time I let it.

Last edited:

Yes you're correct that this amount of soot does not affect the operation, just concerned that it will lead to the build up that will affect it.

Top Bottom