Video on 2019 Sprinter Features

Boxster1971

2023 Sprinter 2500 144wb AWD
Mike Wendland from RV Lifestyle recently posted a new video on his impressions of the new 2019 Sprinter. In addition to his comments he gets information from three Mercedes-Benz reps who where at the RVX convention in Salt Lake City. Worth watching...

https://youtu.be/WfW27mnRH5U

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB, Portland OR
Mike Wendland from RV Lifestyle recently posted a new video on his impressions of the new 2019 Sprinter. In addition to his comments he gets information from three Mercedes-Benz reps who where at the RVX convention in Salt Lake City. Worth watching...

https://youtu.be/WfW27mnRH5U
Good summary, thanks for posting. Interesting info about DEF tank sensors. At 3:10 MB rep states one sensor for level and one for fluid quality. The need for the level is obvious, gives some kind of warning if level is low, my 2013 doesn’t have one, at least I never seen one displayed. The second sensor is for quality, most likely it will measure specific gravity which can be correlated to urea concentration. With known fluid level and pressure specific gravity can be calculated. So, a simple pressure sensor would do it. Must be a good reason for Mercedes to add this feature.

As far as I know there are two simple ways to measure urea concentration, one with a hydrometer and another with a refractometer, both inexpensive but for in vehicle measurement refractometer could be more expensive.

I am glad Mercedes is expanding their on vehicle DEF level and quality testing to make sure their vulnerable and very frustrating DEF system will work better than it the past.

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
Interesting that they state 2-3 hour idle time followed by a drive.
We have seen reports of informal (i.e., verbal) advice to this effect from various MB representatives for years now. What we are lacking is official, printed guidance on this issue. No such guidance appears to exist. The closest I am aware of are statements such as the following:

Therefore, if you mainly drive short distances, you should drive on a highway or on rural roads for 20 minutes every 310 miles (500 km). This ensures sufficient regener- ation of the diesel particle filter.
[ref: MY2014 Operator's Manual]

As far as I have ever been able to tell, the claim that MB forbids (or even limits) idling is a myth.

That said, I personally try hard to avoid idling my Sprinter.

Davydd

Living in Minnesota, the B-20 culprit state, and having a Sprinter with auto starting and second alternator with idling capability, I've reported on first hand Mercedes Benz reps that said nothing different than this video for five years now. In over 145,000 miles of DEF driving and filling with B5-20, I feel comfortable with those recommendations. The idling aspect is way overblown. I avoid it and in knowing many other users with the capability, I think the same. And if they did idle, I haven't heard of problems. Mercedes Benz warrants the exhaust system to 5 year/100,000 miles and offers brackets for second alternators and high idle capability for running those alternators as options.

Davydd

I put off ordering a new Sprinter until 2019 mainly because of the new safety features and the communication system. If I were to settled for a 2018, which was available to me, I felt it was not much more than I have in our 2015.

dynaco1

Limited idling might not be a myth. MB employee made it clear in video with an "informal recommendation". See statement beginning at 15:00.

Last edited:

Davydd

Limited idling might not be a myth. MB employee made it clear in video with an "informal recommendation". See statement beginning at 15:00.
They might not like it and discourage it with caution and written vagueness, but they provide for it and they warrant it.

It is not a myth but is overblown as I said because I know few, if anyone, who abuse it, and of course, there are those described who think they can daily do 2-3 hours idling without driving between. I just don't know who they are and I am in a community of RV owners with the capability. I thought MB's unwritten recommendation was not over 2 hours and driving for at least 40 minutes between idles. The 2-3 hours is new to me and more lenient. Maybe MB is relaxing a bit with more feedback and knowledge.

Advanced RV's Autogen (keyless auto start) is user programmable to any time limit up to 1 hour 55 minutes adhering to the not over 2 hours or fully charged before shutting off. But I think inserting a key in the ignition would not prevent anyone to reset it again. However, 2 hours will usually charge your 800ah lithium battery pack (that's the majority of Advanced RV owners) enough for another 3-4 days sitting (without using air conditioning) so for all practical purposes you most likely will be driving again before invoking it. And as I said, with 800ah of lithium batteries you might have to be some kind of stupid or forgetful to need to idle since you have plenty of time to plan ahead. Needless to say a few emergency or forgetfulness times over 100,000 miles is not going to be a big deal when MB's is willing to warrant it.

Top Bottom