PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever got a key fob "added" with the RKE function?

JoeyB
04-06-2019, 07:41 PM
I have a 2004 Sprinter that I bought a few months ago. I got 3-4 keys with fobs (2 of them essentially broken but could be repaired with a new fob cover). Out of the 2 that are still together, only one works for remote unlock/locking the doors. On the one that does not work, the light lights up each time the button is pressed but nothing happens. Both work to unlock/lock doors manually and start the Sprinter.

I tried the RKE function (https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?p=280239#post280239) to add my 2nd key to the system but never had any luck. The process is a bit difficult to follow so its possible I messed it up and never actually did it right. Just wanted to see if any of you guys ever had luck with it.

autostaretx
04-06-2019, 08:34 PM
Unfortunately, after years of also posting that procedure, it would appear that it's only a "forget this one" process
(although i'd think that it could bring one of the originals back into the fold, but i'm not willing to test that on mine)

Adding a new remote key appears to be an intelligent dealer operation (or send them all to SOS Diagnostics ... they can do it (i think))

--dick

JoeyB
04-06-2019, 08:41 PM
Unfortunately, after years of also posting that procedure, it would appear that it's only a "forget this one" process
(although i'd think that it could bring one of the originals back into the fold, but i'm not willing to test that on mine)

Adding a new remote key appears to be an intelligent dealer operation (or send them all to SOS Diagnostics ... they can do it (i think))

--dick

See, that is what stumps me..I would assume this key previously worked for unlocking/locking as it starts the van without issue. I haven't tried replacing the battery in the FOB just to see if that makes any change.. I do recall reading here that someone got SOS Diagnostics to add their keys into the system, I believe I'd have to send them the ECU as well correct?

The other 2 fobs I have may work with the remote, their plastic buttons are broken off so I've never tested them. It's also possible I accidentally remove them from the system by trying to do the RKE function.
Bleh. May just have to deal with them not working.

autostaretx
04-06-2019, 09:35 PM
You have to send the SKREEM (behind the instrument cluster) and the ECU.

Yes, the procedure requires that you click a button on every key you want remembered.
If the fob's LED blinked, that indicates at that it saw the click and broadcast a code.

--dick

Nautamaran
04-08-2019, 02:04 AM
The SKREEM also remembers the last code heard from each fob and uses it to predict and recognize the next one... but if the fob gets too far ahead (256 codes?) the SKREEM will no longer accept the transmitted code even though it is paired with the fob. (so don’t let an infant play with your fob buttons!) The second fob may have reached this state? Same result: you will need to have the fob added back into the SKREEM’s list of RKE fobs. The fob’s RFID chip is separate and unaffected, but if your van runs that indicates that the fob belongs to the van...

-dave