PDA

View Full Version : "Hello, new to the forum" and tire question.

Felicia
08-29-2009, 12:28 AM
Hi, all,
and I'm glad I finally signed up to see what's going on here on this forum. My husband and I own a 2003 2500 Sprinter and, of course, we love it. It's our home on wheels, sleek Sprinter on the outside and cozy part-Westfalia interior with boat-inspired wood cupboards and ceiling. Simple but effective for long range touring and it didn't cost us a ton of money, either. So... now to my question.

The "Bouncy Castle" needs new tires. We love the Michelins it came with (Michelin LTX A/S) and they've lasted pretty well with about 70,000 plus miles on them. I wouldn't replace them yet as the tread is still good but the sidewalls are showing signs of sun rot and frankly, blowouts or flats do not seem like a lot of fun. I was thinking about just putting the same kind of tires on it again but I was wondering if any of you have other recommendations or opinions to share? Or, if this subject has been covered somewhere else in the forum, please direct me to the thread and I'll do my reading there.

Oh, and I just saw the thread on how long Sprinters last. WHOO-HOO!!! It's always been heart wrenching to sell on our vans and the thought of not having to do that again is just great! We've worn out four VW vans over the twenty-two years we've been traveling together and loved every one of them despite their issues and ticks. So to be able to look forward to this possibly being the last van we'll need to buy is just fabulous. Of course, if we ever get really rich I'd love a longer one and the shorty, as well. I mean, why not have the whole set? :)

Thanks for any responses to my tire question.

david_42
08-29-2009, 07:17 PM
I've got the same tires and plan on buying three new ones (if possible) whenever these wear out and run the spare. I figure the spare has been out of the sun, so it isn't likely to be a problem. There's a great deal of discussion about tires on the newer Sprinters, but not much on the old ones. Very strange in my book, you'd figure the 2002-2005s would be needing tires by now.

Llarry
08-29-2009, 07:40 PM
Hi, all,
The "Bouncy Castle" needs new tires. We love the Michelins it came with (Michelin LTX A/S) and they've lasted pretty well with about 70,000 plus miles on them. I wouldn't replace them yet as the tread is still good but the sidewalls are showing signs of sun rot and frankly, blowouts or flats do not seem like a lot of fun. I was thinking about just putting the same kind of tires on it again but I was wondering if any of you have other recommendations or opinions to share?

I've not investigated this recently, but a few years ago I was researching replacement tires and came to the conclusion that a sibling Michelin -- the Michelin LTX M/S -- might be even better-performing than the LTX A/S, with the possible trade-off of more treadwear. The designation sounds like it might be biased to off-road (M = mud?) but I don't believe that is the case.

As I say, I haven't looked recently, but the two tires were available in similar Sprinter sizes back then at a comparable price. The LTX A/S seemed to be more oriented toward commercial high-mileage applications. If you're thinking of replacing your OE tires based on time rather than treadwear, the LTX M/S might make sense for you. :idunno:

A good place to research this is www.tirerack.com where you can find tests, surveys and feedback from customers. I have purchased products from Tire Rack but you can use the info there to your advantage no matter where you plan to buy.

Felicia
08-29-2009, 11:09 PM
Thanks very much for your responses. I'll check out the Tire Rack and see what information is available there though it seems like we'll just go with the same tires again as they held up really well.

danthewolf007
08-29-2009, 11:36 PM
i just had a set of the ltx m/s last 79k on my 07 170" and replaced them only do to a nail in a tire. and yes i put the same ones with hopes of another 80k ....

Ciprian
08-30-2009, 01:01 AM
I've got the same tires and plan on buying three new ones (if possible) whenever these wear out and run the spare. I figure the spare has been out of the sun, so it isn't likely to be a problem. There's a great deal of discussion about tires on the newer Sprinters, but not much on the old ones. Very strange in my book, you'd figure the 2002-2005s would be needing tires by now.

David,
I am quite surprised to see that someone else is thinking like me. I did the same thing when I replaced my first set of tires. I bought 3 new ones, I used the spare and chose the best of the old tires for a spare. I was thinking, why would I waste a good new tire only to be used once a year?
Good thinking.

Llarry
08-30-2009, 07:03 AM
Having posted an answer using the time-tested internet method of "provide an answer that sounds good, then later check and see if the answer was also correct" :crazy: (AKA the 'ready, fire, aim' school of marksmanship) I find that Michelin has pruned the sizes offered in the LTX A/S and eliminated the Sprinter T1N application. :shifty:

I don't know when or how many LTX A/S tires in LT225/75R-16E are out there, but it looks like the LTX M/S is still current in the proper size. So replacing a set of four, no problem, but buying three and putting the LTX A/S spare on the ground, not so good.

jdcaples
08-30-2009, 10:57 PM
I'm also in Seattle.

Discount Tire - either the Burien or the Edmonds store - are pretty price-competitive and the techs listen to me when I tell them not to hoist the vehicle on the axle tube. They sometimes mess up on the pressure settings, but they torque the bolts to my requested 177 lbs per inch. I've always been able to inspect my brake pads and rotors, review anything that wouldn't be easily visible with the wheel on, too.

The last two times, the Northgate store disappointed me, by completely failing to adjust the pressure after a rotation, so I haven't been back there.

Oh, and I vote for the Michelin LTX AT^2s.

-Jon

MikeP
08-31-2009, 05:01 AM
Hi, Our 03 still had orginal tires til took in for service. Finally found another dealership that does Sprinter service since the one we got Sprinter from no longer had a Sprinter mechanic.
Anyway, orginal tires only had little less 30K miles but were, I guess dry rotting. Knew they had been cracking and noticed a few days earlier some of the cracks had picecs of rubber falling out.
The "new" dealership said they had a special on replacement tires for Sprinters. They had 4 Firestone Force Source HT's on for alittle over $550 mounted and balanced.
I had ask about tires from old dealer when called them they wanted alittle over $1000 and local tire store was asking $625 for Yokohoma tires.
I figured was a pretty good price so went ahead and got them.

talkinghorse43
08-31-2009, 04:20 PM
177 lbs per inch

I know you meant to write foot-pounds.

Felicia
08-31-2009, 05:59 PM
Thanks, everyone, for all the input. Kind of a drag that the original tires aren't available any more but I'll look around and see if I can find the other ones.

Right now we're in the D. C. area. Anyone got an idea on where to go for tires out here? How about a recommendation on a good dealer mechanic, too? Our van is still under warranty so I would prefer to stick with a dealer for any work that needs to be done.

Also, on the subject of using an older tire in rotation with new ones, I was wondering about the wisdom of that given the news that older tires, even those in like-new condition, can come apart at speed.

Thanks again, everyone! We really appreciate the help.

jdcaples
08-31-2009, 06:52 PM
I know you meant to write foot-pounds.

You're right. I did mean foot-lbs.

Scott_Mc
09-01-2009, 01:45 AM
.....Also, on the subject of using an older tire in rotation with new ones, I was wondering about the wisdom of that given the news that older tires, even those in like-new condition, can come apart at speed.

Read my post 4 in this thread. I carry more weight than you (as well as towing a car trailer) and no issues...the "old" tire is in the back too. If your spare is unused, it's likely fine.

...and just how fast you going:smilewink:?

Felicia
09-02-2009, 03:55 AM
How fast? The speed limit, thank you! I can't afford speeding tickets- though the Sprinter sure doesn't mind going fast. :)

No, really, there was some news article about tires with perfect tread and sidewalls straight from the salesroom popping under normal loads and speeds because of calendar age. I don't remember where we saw it or if it's even true, I only mention it as it seemed worth doing so for others' comments yay or nay on it. If I find the article I'll post the link.

Scott_Mc
09-02-2009, 03:29 PM
Read my post 4 in this thread....
The "link" did not "link" as I'd intended...
here, post 4 in this thread:

http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7486

Good luck Felicia. There was a valve stem recall on our `03 vans too. If you have the rubber and brass ones still...get rid of them.

chop20041
09-28-2009, 07:22 PM
I am in the same boat, I had brain fade and have not been rotating my tires, my driving has been mostly highway miles(with varing loads) and towing a trailer, so my back tires need replacement and my fronts have another 30,000 mi or so to go before the hit the tread indicators. I cannot get the LTX AS as I was going to buy another tire and swap out the spare tire to get me going a while longer. I was thinking of changing the rims also to the 18" MB wheels at a later date so I really did not want to replace all 4 tires right now since I only need 2. I relly liked the LTX As tire, worked good in all conditions, and I drove in the snow with the tire on many occasions. Any other recomended All Season tires? MS is a Mud and Snow tire, I guess that would work(as I do go camping and take the sprinter in the dirt) was worried I would not get the life I have out of the AS though. What tires to stay away from, I heard continetels because of the noise, any others? Thanks

Felicia
10-01-2009, 11:20 PM
Hi, everyone-
We got our new tires today and so far they're great! Round, black, full of air... :) Anyway, they are the Michelins meant for mud and snow which replaced the originals meant for bare pavement and rain. They do feel very nice on bare pavement, not quite as hard a ride as the original Michelins (which is nice) and will have plenty of test driving as we're up and down the east coast a bit more before heading back across the States in a couple of weeks. My husband William found some reviews of these tires that gave glowing responses so we're hopeful that we'll be riding on them for quite a while- and that would be nice as they were not cheap.

What was fun was getting a recommendation from the folks we're staying with here in Foxboro MA for a local place in Walpole- Walpole Tire and Auto. We got expert help from Bill over the phone, he located us four tires, had them shipped in from the warehouse and had us come in today at 3 pm to have them mounted. When we pulled up outside the bay door I turned to William and said, "We've been here before, I'm sure of it. I think in Buttercup." Buttercup was our 84 Westfalia which my sister now owns and adores. Sure enough, Will entered our names into the computer and said with some surprise, "Hey, you guys have been here before." Buttercup had an oil change with these folks ten years ago!

Anyway, thanks for all your helpful comments and suggestions. It was much easier to figure out what to do with your help and we both really appreciate it, and so does the Bouncy Castle.

PS On our last tank of fuel we got 25.6 mpg!!!

Llarry
10-02-2009, 04:08 AM
Hi, everyone-
We got our new tires today and so far they're great! Round, black, full of air... :) Anyway, they are the Michelins meant for mud and snow which replaced the originals meant for bare pavement and rain. They do feel very nice on bare pavement, not quite as hard a ride as the original Michelins (which is nice) and will have plenty of test driving as we're up and down the east coast a bit more before heading back across the States in a couple of weeks. My husband William found some reviews of these tires that gave glowing responses so we're hopeful that we'll be riding on them for quite a while- and that would be nice as they were not cheap.

What was fun was getting a recommendation from the folks we're staying with here in Foxboro MA for a local place in Walpole- Walpole Tire and Auto. We got expert help from Bill over the phone, he located us four tires, had them shipped in from the warehouse and had us come in today at 3 pm to have them mounted. When we pulled up outside the bay door I turned to William and said, "We've been here before, I'm sure of it. I think in Buttercup." Buttercup was our 84 Westfalia which my sister now owns and adores. Sure enough, Will entered our names into the computer and said with some surprise, "Hey, you guys have been here before." Buttercup had an oil change with these folks ten years ago!

Anyway, thanks for all your helpful comments and suggestions. It was much easier to figure out what to do with your help and we both really appreciate it, and so does the Bouncy Castle.

PS On our last tank of fuel we got 25.6 mpg!!!

Man, I love a happy ending.... (sniff...) :lol: and congrats on the fuel economy front, too! :rad: I do think there is strong correlation between a light right foot and sipping Diesel fuel. My problem is that I have to constantly remind my right foot of that... :bash:

Felicia
10-03-2009, 04:07 AM
LOL! I hate to admit it, but my husband actually gets better mileage when he drives than I do- and though I would never say he's heavy-footed (neither of us is unless it's necessary) he does tend to get up to highway speed a lot faster than I do. So... I don't know what the deal is and honestly, I'm not too troubled by it. I'm just thrilled to have such a great ride. :D

Scott_Mc
10-03-2009, 02:57 PM
I'm curious to see the fuel economy difference between the Michelin LTX A/S vs. the M/S you have now. I'm guessing a slight drop.

pvsprinter
10-03-2009, 07:08 PM
I just ran into the same problem for my 06 140. Original tires at 79K still had tread but not enough for northeast winter and since I had mounted snows and an unused spare I started looking for 1 tire planning on buying 2 more next spring. I even called Michelin and was told our size in the LTX A/S was dropped 12/08. He did say that I could get some sort of deal if I went to a dealer and gave them a code and bought 4 alternate Michelins. Luckily for my cash flow I found 1 tire at a local dealer ($190). A web site "discount tires" had 1 for $311. HAHA
Michelin has another load range E tire, the X Radial LT which has a very similar tread pattern to the A/S, most likely my choice next spring.
BTW tire rack has the LTX M/S for 154 + shipping.
Bob