New Fan Clutch?

Rickpcmp3

2005 158" Cargo FedEx
I just bought an OEM fan clutch on eBay, listed as new in box. It's old stock with a born on date of December 2009. It was half the price of any other OEM. There are a lot of aftermarket clutches available. Some for pennies on the dollar of the OEM's cost. I preferred to get OEM, if possible, for peace of mind.

The clutch arrived today in the mail, and while it looks new, the box has clearly been opened. There's also a bit of heavy oxidation in one small section of the clutch (perhaps it sat on a bench and some caustic fluid came in contact with it at some point?).

As I understand it, if this viscous fan clutch is ever put into service it must always remain upright after that point. Otherwise the viscous fluid may/will leak rendering it ineffective. Is this in fact true, and is there any way to determine if this clutch I just bought was possibly used for brief moment (perhaps for troubleshooting) but then put back in the box (ths rendering it ineffective)?

TIA for any feedback.

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
I just bought an OEM fan clutch on eBay, listed as new in box. It's old stock with a born on date of December 2009. It was half the price of any other OEM. There are a lot of aftermarket clutches available. Some for pennies on the dollar of the OEM's cost. I preferred to get OEM, if possible, for peace of mind.

The clutch arrived today in the mail, and while it looks new, the box has clearly been opened. There's also a bit of heavy oxidation in one small section of the clutch (perhaps it sat on a bench and some caustic fluid came in contact with it at some point?).

As I understand it, if this viscous fan clutch is ever put into service it must always remain upright after that point. Otherwise the viscous fluid may/will leak rendering it ineffective. Is this in fact true, and is there any way to determine if this clutch I just bought was possibly used for brief moment (perhaps for troubleshooting) but then put back in the box (ths rendering it ineffective)?

TIA for any feedback.
Correct!

Copied from the MB service manual...

Viscous Fan.png

Keith.

PS The fluid does not leak externally but leaks internally and can never return to full operation. When new the fluid is held in a reservoir and is safe to store in any orientation.

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
I would take a magnifying glass to the bolt holes and flanges, and reject the part if there is evidence of use. Open box is a red flag, obviously, but doesn’t mean it was ever spun up. Using the part is a gamble... good luck!

-dave

Added: The “gamble” is only that you’ll waste the time spent installing a free-spinning clutch.
When stored flat after use, the viscous fluid drains from the clutch’s operating chambers, away from the pump and turbine chambers. Thereafter the clutch will fail to grab as intended at higher temperatures. Which is likely why you’re replacing your existing clutch...?

Last edited:

I don't know how many dollars 1/2 price was.

If not a significant amount, install it. It will work properly or not. It won't grenade. It may stay locked up all the time, or not work when needed. A search may find the resulting changes in operation after a used fan clutch is improperly stored.

:cheers: vic

Rickpcmp3

2005 158" Cargo FedEx
I would take a magnifying glass to the bolt holes and flanges, and reject the part if there is evidence of use. Open box is a red flag, obviously, but doesn’t mean it was ever spun up. Using the part is a gamble... good luck!

-dave

Added: The “gamble” is only that you’ll waste the time spent installing a free-spinning clutch.
... Which is likely why you’re replacing your existing clutch...?
Thanks, I'll take a closer look.

I can tell from manually spinning the bearing by hand (only a few degrees really) that it's more difficult to move than the current clutch I have. (I'm now leaving it upright as I realize I may have just broken the viscous fluid seal by doing this).

My existing clutch isn't doing it's job, and is actually mounted to the wrong fan (they don't even separate from each other, and it's for an NCV3 - it came on the van when I bought it.)

Zundfolge

Always learning...
I know this sounds crazy but: have you contacted the seller? If it was advertised as new and it obviously isn't, maybe save yourself the headache and do away with the gamble, make them take it back, and get one from europarts or another vendor. EBay is inherently such a gamble.

FWIW I recently got one from europarts and it has been working perfectly, it's a reputable brand. You don't ALWAYS need to go OEM MB, and many OEM parts are in fact made by others (VDO, Hella, Behr etc.) There are a great many parts that I would only want OEM, but personally this isn't one of them.

If it were me and I installed that thing I would be constantly wondering whether it's going to fail on me and when (Actually "when" is known, just ask your pal Murphy). That fear far outweighs OEMism in this case...

Last edited:

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
I’d evaluate the risk should the replacement fail.

Yes, the van can run cooler with a working fan clutch, but if you’re not heavy and operate in a cooler climate (below 90’F) it *may* not run hot, even with a flaky clutch.
I drove my van my first year (about 20,000 miles, including a three week family road trip to New England, a week in the Okanagan, to Wyoming for the solar eclipse, and a trip out to Vancouver Island) without realizing I needed to replace my clutch. I didn’t know what it was SUPPOSED to sound like! I credit the electric A/C aux fan for taking up the slack, since I usually have the air on all summer. I only replaced my clutch after my fan blades grenaded last spring at 180,000 miles; New rad, fan, belt, tensioner, idlers... oh well, I’d intended to change the coolant and was close to home when it happened so no overheat, just a sudden toxic puddle in the road (which I caught the bulk of, did the cat litter thing to pick up what hit the ground, and rinsed the final residue away, so no dead critters I hope?)

My point being, if there’s a fair chance that the open-box clutch is good, and the cost of replacing it a second time is acceptable, then I’d go ahead and try it in the van. If it’s a dud, take it up with the vendor. But, if the failure cost is high, then for the $150 for a new OEM fan and clutch I’d return the open-box now and wait a few more days to install a new-in-box part.
(The OEM fan & clutch is here: https://europarts-sd.com/item.asp?PID=3955)

-dave

Rickpcmp3

2005 158" Cargo FedEx
(The OEM fan & clutch is here: https://europarts-sd.com/item.asp?PID=3955)

-dave
Thanks Dave, it kills me that I was just at Europarts two weeks ago before I knew I needed the clutch. I could have save $22 in shipping granted I would have likely had to pay $10 in tax.

I just wonder if the one I got will be okay. Although I payed $70, I did get 10% cash back.

Here's the auction I won https://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCEDES-Engine-Fan-Clutch-DODGE-Sprinter-FREIGHT-LINER-2500-3500-0002005822-/283425264835

I did have to buy a new MOPAR fan blade to $35.95 but also with 10% cash back. In essence if all goes well it's a brand new OEM setup for about $95.50

Top Bottom