PDA

View Full Version : BF Goodrich Commerical Tires

hkpierce
08-28-2009, 12:29 AM
As noted in an earlier posting, I recently bought new tires from Costco (http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6558&highlight=Costco). They were a set of 5 BF Goodrich Commercial TA Size: LT225/75R16/E 115/112Q. From the BF Goodrich site:

Size:LT225/75R16/E 115/112Q Sidewall:BSW MSPN:67515

* Help your fleet budget go farther.
* Stands up to heavy loads.
* Built for the long haul.
* Stiffer tread for better steering response, cornering and traction; improved bruise and puncture resistance†
* Greatly increased average treadlife; better all-season traction†
* All-season confidence; smooth, quiet ride
* Long treadlife and durability
* †Compared to BFGoodrich® All-Weather Commercial LT™ Tire

Warranty:50,000 miles; max load at max pressure 2680@80

I have put on 5,000 miles since purchase, almost all highway at highway posted speeds up to 75 mph (except for the dirt roads (http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7466)). There were 3 drivers with experience with the van with the OEM Michelins and the new Goodrichs, running at around 2,000 lb load.

For the first 1,000 miles our unanimous evaluation was that the Goodrichs were outright squirrelly at speeds over 65 mph. It was hard to figure out whether the problem was the tread or wobbly sidewalls. Then, within 300 or so miles (at about 1,000-1,300) the squirrelliness significantly diminished. Here is a Tire Rack explanation for breaking in any new tire:

Now at 5,000+ miles the stability of the van on these tires has improved, but nowhere equal the Michelins. I speculate that the surface rubber of the tires either had to wear to fit the loading of the van or wear off an oxidized layer that was of a harder formulation then the lower layers. While not pleased with the outcome, I will wear them out, but then return to Michelins.

talkinghorse43
08-28-2009, 12:55 PM
Could be hard to remember exactly how new tires feel. I recently bought 2 Michelins and put them on the front; the two that were on the front went to the back (had ~80k miles on them). I immediately noticed some loss of control which I attributed to squirm due to greater rubber thickness and/or less road contact. I solved that by lowering front tire pressure from the recommended 55 to 50 psig. So, in my case, it appears it was less road contact.

sikwan
08-28-2009, 01:58 PM
For the first 1,000 miles our unanimous evaluation was that the Goodrichs were outright squirrelly at speeds over 65 mph.

What tire pressures were you running?

For my stock Michelins, anything above 55 for the fronts will cause a outright squirrelly effect.

Scott_Mc
08-28-2009, 01:59 PM
I replaced my original tires about 20K miles ago. I considered the BFG's, Cooper Discoverer and more strongly considered The General Grabber HTS . I was shopping a bit for a compromise on price over the OE Michelin LTX. In the end, I took a chance and pulled out my aged, but other wise new Michelin spare, then bought three more to match, putting the best of the existing four as my new spare. The spare cannot be told from the new. I was concerened over that one being loud or hard but it has been perfect. Further proof of how good the Michelins are. After about 80K (I could have gone another 5+ easily but with fall/winter on the horizon thought better of it.)of absolutely trouble free driving I was convinvced the spare was worth giving a shot (asking around I was advised against it.). Worse case I picked up the fourth.

312 diesel (closed)
08-28-2009, 11:41 PM
The photo you posted of the side wall looks like it has a nasty case of radial bulge; I wonder whether that could be contributing to the lack of stability?

hkpierce
10-18-2016, 05:07 PM
The tires noted above were retired at 77,000. Still had tread - but two problems
1) 2 tires with outside wear from worn struts (http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28362&highlight=shocks) that I replaced 3 years ago;

2) Costco would no longer balance or rotate as they were older than 5 years old and showing sides of cracking ("dry rot"). "Lifetime" according to the new paperwork Costco hands out (and not in the old that I still have) means 5 to 6 years depending on the manufacturer's determination.

Overall - they were OK. But I went back to Michelins.