Door seal problems still, help!!!!!!

baldeagle

Well I bought some new seals for all doors. I am not a knowledgable car/van person so some things I haven't a clue about, so might be fitting them wrong (can't see how)
The rear door ones seem fine but I don't drive a long way backwards so they should be.
The side sliding door one is very loose but doesn't seem to let water in, am I supposed to crimp them up before fitting or use silicon or something?
The passenger door, and the driver door a bit, let in water and flood the floorwell so I haven't refitted the plastic treadplates yet. I turned the hose on the roof tonight so it was running out the front of the rails and sat inside with my head stuck in the footwell. A small amount of water trickles out from the seal at the bottom/front part of the door by the tool cover, more water comes out the air hole in the middle section of the seal down at footwell level at the front. I can only guess the water is running down the front of the door outside the seal then working around the steel rib as it drops down then working itself inside. Not sure how it gets into the middle section of the seal though. So...........do I try crimping it up a bit all round, fill the seal with silicon and refit, or burn it and buy a Transit?
AAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH:yell:

maxextz

Rollin Rollin Rollin.....
peter should be able to help you pm him or maybe if he see this he will chime in. transits? they ask money for those buckets of ****e:turd:

312 diesel (closed)

They don't need gueing in, you just tap them onto the spot welded seam with a soft faced or rubber hammer and there they should stay.

baldeagle

Hi Mr Diesel (enjoyed reading about yer trip)

Thats what I thought but they are a bit sloppy so I can see how water could creep around the welded seem on the vertical bit. As I said, not a car expert but usually figure out if I'm doing something wrong - I just tapped them on with a rubber mallet, should I try tapping harder?:cry:

312 diesel (closed)

Hi Mr Diesel (enjoyed reading about yer trip)

Thats what I thought but they are a bit sloppy so I can see how water could creep around the welded seem on the vertical bit. As I said, not a car expert but usually figure out if I'm doing something wrong - I just tapped them on with a rubber mallet, should I try tapping harder?:cry:
Are they new or have they been fitted before. If they're used just close up the U shaped section a bit. They're cheap from Mercedes though; I paid 22.97 for the side door seal including Gordon's cut.

baldeagle

All brand new from the chap you mentioned before from Birmingham I think? They were definitely sloppy new, the passenger door one is even an inch short so I've got to fill in with a bit of the old one. Again - assuming I fitted it right but by pushing it into the corners it does come up short.

jogger

Try fitting the seal starting at the front and top area. Hold it in two hands and work it into the corner first. Keep rolling the groove onto the seam and use your palm to push it in place. The top is the critical side as it is closer to the rain clouds. Don't use a mallet as it will distort the seal. If you have already done so try squeezing the seal with your fingers to lessen the gap and then reinstall the seal.
Finally, with a Fine Sharpie or similar marking device put a mark on the door frame and move the latch inboard to procur a tighter fit against the door. be careful not to change the up/down orientation of the catch, only adjust it slightly (1/16) inboard.
I did this without changing any seals and solved my water problem straightaway.
Cheers

baldeagle

Yep, one of them with a 1" gap, although that's not the problem.

Oh well, gonna try it out now for a couple of days in Exmoor.

Have a good weekend :bounce:

Top Bottom