Chassis twist

jonoskins

Hi all
I have on order a 4wd 518 cab chassis.Does anyone have any idea of the amount of twist to be expected on uneven ground. I am in the design stages of a 4wd motorhome with a rigid connection at the cab for walkthrough. The idea is to allow the rear of the chassis to twist through a flexible mounts MB have not been able to help.
Cheers
Jon

Eric Experience

Jonoskins.
Sorry I can not answer your question, but I can say that the motor home body must be evenly loaded on the chassis not a piont loading so the idea of allowing the chassis to twist and have a distributed load is not possible without some effort. When I design a body for a truck I assume that the body will reduce the chassis twist to almost zero. With a motor home you will have tanks and batteries under the floor on the chassis so relative motion would be a pain. A lot will depend on which if any sway bar you use, of road ability and highway stability are at odds. Eric

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Interesting question it would pay to look at the Euro conversion's as to design and materials used for light weight materials to keep weights to a minimum
Cab over chassis is a rigid fit B has the body mount fixtures including extensions and re enforcing bars as to suspension options and gearing etc. Weight on the front axle must be kept to MBs specification. suggest you go via a Body builder who does them..
Richard

4x4s2.jpg

jonoskins

Jonoskins.
Sorry I can not answer your question, but I can say that the motor home body must be evenly loaded on the chassis not a piont loading so the idea of allowing the chassis to twist and have a distributed load is not possible without some effort. When I design a body for a truck I assume that the body will reduce the chassis twist to almost zero. With a motor home you will have tanks and batteries under the floor on the chassis so relative motion would be a pain. A lot will depend on which if any sway bar you use, of road ability and highway stability are at odds. Eric
Thanks Eric
The idea is to have the first 2 mounts back from cab rigid and the other mounts will have a spring loaded bolt with a max spring travel of 25mm.Weight will be evenly distributed but the chassis will twist if load is greater then spring tension.If there are any problems I have the option of tighening the bolt till the spring is fully compressed.

maxextz

Rollin Rollin Rollin.....
if i park with 2 wheels on the path the rear doors dont shut properly:thinking:because of the body twisting and mines a van body.:idunno:

max.......:wtf:

Eric Experience

Jonoskins.
The body and chassis will have to spaced with a rubber bush or it will rattle and bang and rust. Will you have a hole in the floor so you can replace the bolt when it wears away? Just my thoughts. Eric

Top Bottom