Help with some codes please

Gabe Athouse

Hi there, I’m a t1n that has been tasked with tinkering on a buddies 2008 low roof, mfg 11/07.

So I don’t know a lot about these. This one is having boost issues and with the given codes I am suspecting that maybe a sensor or sensors is to blame, but without replacing a bunch of components I thought I’d ask here if there is any patterns that can be spotted.

First, he drilled a hole in his DPF for reasons I didn’t fully understand, but he wasn’t happy with the results and is having me replace the dpf.

Otherwise it goes into LHM occasionally and here are all the codes I could pull with my simple devices.

U0423 invalid cluster data
P0473 exhaust back pressure high value
P0238 turbo boost pressure high
P0234 overboost
P0244 wastegate solenoid
P0000 no fault
P2853 unknown
P2089 cam pos sensor
P0105 MAP sensor
P2359 turbo vane control
P2510 boost pressure regulator
P3137 dpf sensor low

showkey

The hole in the DPF is going to be a BIG problem. The system is smart enough to see the exhaust pressures are never going to close to normal. So there is little hope of fixing the van completely without addressing the DPF. If the DPF was plugged........then prior engine oil choice over time plays a part, lack of proper DPF regen and rich fuel mixture can lead to DPF fouling.
How many miles ?

As for common issues and LIMP:
EGR system problems in general are common concern which include EGR valve, temp sensor, pressure sensors, swirl valves, EGR cooler.
Turbo..... plumbing fittings and oring and rubber hoses ..........any leaks in the pressure side of the turbo wil cause codes and LIMP with or with CEL lit.
Air intake leaks before the turbo from the air cleaner should also be checked, especially the orange gasket at the turbo inlet.

MB systems and code correctly reading and reporting and reading life data stream can be a problem witha generic tool.
A generic tool may report generic codes which can lead you off track.
The scan tool section has several choices of known good scan tools in all price ranges.

Last edited:

Mike DZ

2016 View 24V (2015 3500)
I believe that the DPF will need a "teach-in" once replaced - this will require a higher level scanner, I think at least an Autel 808. Once the DPF is installed and taught in, re-scanning with that higher level scanner should provide more info. If all those "problems" (Cam, MAP, Turbo, etc) show on a better scanner, I would first start with battery voltage and grounds.

Düsseldorfer

Hello Gabe,

Showkey's right that intake leaks are a common NCV3 fault, but it sure looks like your pal's rig has the opposite problem: too much pressure from the turbo. Also kind of looks like the DPF might be clogged, which might have had something to do with your friend's decision to bust out the drill.

I have a factory scan tool and I visit the Portland area from time to time. I might be there later this week or early next to pick up an engine for a car I'm rebuilding, and if it would be helpful for you and if the timing worked out, I could stop by with the tool. Can't say we'd come up with anything more definitive, but we could at least look at some operating data points in real time.

Based on what you've seen so far, though, I think this is probably more serious than the usual "check your battery and grounds" type of thing that pops up here on the boards...

D

Deleted member 50714

"In the real estate business, there’s an old saying about the three most important things that determine the value of a property: location, location, location.

In automotive diagnosis, we’ve come to the conclusion 
that a similar statement should be etched in the mind of everyone who works on cars. What’s crucial here are basics, basics, basics. taking it one step further into electrical troubleshooting, and you could phrase it grounds, grounds, grounds." Multiple codes could be indicative of bad grounds. 

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showpost.php?p=748425&postcount=3

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showpost.php?p=748427&postcount=4

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showpost.php?p=748523&postcount=6

Last edited by a moderator:

bcislander

'07 Mercedes-badged Dodge
On a 2008, unless already replaced recently, I would replace the Y-Cable, as well as checking the Grounds, especially the engine to body ground strap.

Measure the system voltage when the engine is running. It should be at least 14V. Much lower than 14V indicates a 'bad' Y-Cable and/or Ground, which should be replaced/cleaned before doing anything else.

Gabe Athouse

Very interesting guys! Thank you! Okay two points I should have said earlier, one is that this van has a GDE tune. The other is that it has a damn poor battery, a fact that I learned this morning when it needed a jump. I already scolded him about not keeping a good battery in the van, but since he has a rear aux battery and a combiner setup he’s been milking it along for a while. So it sounds like first off a new DPF and new battery are in order, along with some grounding inspections and maybe some intake examinations. I see the turbo output hoses aren’t as easy to get at as my t1n.

Düsseldorfer

I had a chance to meet Gabe and his NCV3-owning friend today. Here are some notes for others' reference, in case they are useful.

Gabe had already done a lot of work on the van as noted above, including replacing the battery and the DPF (with I think a refurb unit), and when I arrived, he was snugging up the turbo resonator and associated pipes. The van was showing three codes, all DPF-related.

Mike DZ was correct above that the new DPF unit needed a teach-in. We did that with a C3 DAS unit, which we also used to clear two of the three codes. The third code, for some reason, didn't show on the DAS -- probably my weak DAS skills. Always more to learn with DAS. So we hooked up my old Autel box and cleared the code with that. DAS is more complete, but the Autel has a far friendlier UI.

Codes cleared, we started the van and saw the "regen ready" indicator in DAS turn to green. Sure enough, as soon as we hit the street for the road test, the van started to regen... we could both hear and smell it!

Put just a few miles on the truck before the owner had to go fetch his kids from school, but it seemed like Gabe's work plus a DAS teach-in did the trick. The teach-in is done with the engine off, and takes five seconds, fyi.

If I hear anything else about that particular Sprinter, I'll post here, but what I learned from today could be summed up as: replacing the DPF is not a terrible task if you're a talented wrench like Gabe, and doing to ECU stuff is not a terrible task even if you're a dope like me.

HTH,
D

Last edited:

Top Bottom