Operating Menu Changes in 2009 Sprinter (US)

CocoaVan

This information is only relevant to 2009 NCV3 Sprinters in the U.S. market.
I was comparing every operating menu item in my 2009 owner's manual to the the reality of my dashboard. The owner's manual says you can activate/deactivate the constant headlamp mode (DRL's), but that menu item doesn't appear under the Lighting submenu on my 2009 Sprinter. My Sprinter has DRL's, and apparently I have no means to disable them through the menu, if I cared to do so. Yes, I had the Sprinter in park with the hand brake on, as the manual states. I tried this with the engine off and with it running. I can turn off the headlamps by turning the light switch to the parking lamp setting. Fortunately for me, I wanted DRL's.

Another difference from earlier NCV3's is that my "AC" switch, quizzically referred to in the manual as the "Cooling with Dehumidification Function" switch, acts differently than the "AC Rest" switch described in the 2008 manual. When the AC light is on in my Sprinter, the air conditioner is on. In the 2008 manual, the "AC Rest" switch appears to act in the opposite manner.

Another beef I have with this part of the manual is that the entire section on HVAC is called "air conditioning." It should be called "Climate Control." I really think no one from U.S. or Canada proofread the manual before they published it. And it's been around for how many years??? I know many have ranted on the owner's manual, but I guess it's my turn now. Back to menu features ...

I found a menu feature that I never read about, but works very well for me. We drive in and out of Canada often enough, so it's nice to keep track of speed and distance in km & km/h. Our Sprinter's dash speedometer doesn't have a km/h scale, which I think is odd. I have four ignition keys, and I made one of them my "Canada" key. To program it:
Settings Menu -> Convenience -> Key-dependent -> "On"​
Now any changes made for the following "Settings" menu items are associated with the key currently in the ignition: "Instrument Cluster," "Lighting," and "Vehicle." So for my Canada key, I changed the digital speedometer to km/h, the odometer to km, the temperature to Celsius, and the status line display to speed, not temperature. When I use my Canada key, the status display shows my speed in km/h, and the odometer displays distance in km. All three "Trip Computer" sub-menus continue to display distance in miles and speed in mph, and fuel consumption in mpg. Now the only question remains is "where's the nearest Tim Horton's?"

Brian

rb3232

This information is only relevant to 2009 NCV3 Sprinters in the U.S. market.
I was comparing every operating menu item in my 2009 owner's manual to the the reality of my dashboard. The owner's manual says you can activate/deactivate the constant headlamp mode (DRL's), but that menu item doesn't appear under the Lighting submenu on my 2009 Sprinter. My Sprinter has DRL's, and apparently I have no means to disable them through the menu, if I cared to do so. Yes, I had the Sprinter in park with the hand brake on, as the manual states. I tried this with the engine off and with it running. I can turn off the headlamps by turning the light switch to the parking lamp setting. Fortunately for me, I wanted DRL's.

Another difference from earlier NCV3's is that my "AC" switch, quizzically referred to in the manual as the "Cooling with Dehumidification Function" switch, acts differently than the "AC Rest" switch described in the 2008 manual. When the AC light is on in my Sprinter, the air conditioner is on. In the 2008 manual, the "AC Rest" switch appears to act in the opposite manner.

Another beef I have with this part of the manual is that the entire section on HVAC is called "air conditioning." It should be called "Climate Control." I really think no one from U.S. or Canada proofread the manual before they published it. And it's been around for how many years??? I know many have ranted on the owner's manual, but I guess it's my turn now. Back to menu features ...

I found a menu feature that I never read about, but works very well for me. We drive in and out of Canada often enough, so it's nice to keep track of speed and distance in km & km/h. Our Sprinter's dash speedometer doesn't have a km/h scale, which I think is odd. I have four ignition keys, and I made one of them my "Canada" key. To program it:
Settings Menu -> Convenience -> Key-dependent -> "On"​
Now any changes made for the following "Settings" menu items are associated with the key currently in the ignition: "Instrument Cluster," "Lighting," and "Vehicle." So for my Canada key, I changed the digital speedometer to km/h, the odometer to km, the temperature to Celsius, and the status line display to speed, not temperature. When I use my Canada key, the status display shows my speed in km/h, and the odometer displays distance in km. All three "Trip Computer" sub-menus continue to display distance in miles and speed in mph, and fuel consumption in mpg. Now the only question remains is "where's the nearest Tim Horton's?"

Brian
Can anyone tell me if the analog speedometer can be changed from MPH to KPH with just the buttons, or scantool, or what? Thanks, Ross

Top Bottom