No more 2019 orders?

Magallanes

I spoke with my local MB dealer about ordering a 4x4 van. He called the regional representative to check on the status of this and he stated they are not taking any orders! He stated that if/when a future order would take place it would be for a 2020. He stated that the plant in SC was having a difficult time with staffing/training and that orders from Amazon/ FedEx for fleet vehicles were also overwhelming the factory.

Anyone else getting this info as well?:idunno:

Boxster1971

2023 Sprinter 2500 144wb AWD
Is the no orders issue just for 4x4 models or all 2019 Sprinters?

Certainly a new plant will have growing pains. But Daimler supplied the US/Canadian market from other plants last year. I think all these rumors about problems in new SC plant are a smoke screen for bigger issues related to overall poor global management problems introducing a new Sprinter model.

Best I can tell Amazon is NOT buying the Sprinters. In their typical business strategy they have just convinced Mercedes Vans LLC to offer a special paint color and options for vans being purchased by leasing companies. Then they are leased by owner/operators of Amazons delivery services.

Regarding FedEx - I doubt they are buying more Sprinters than in past years. Probably less since they are also buying Ford Transits.

Shawn182

Best I can tell Amazon is NOT buying the Sprinters. In their typical business strategy they have just convinced Mercedes Vans LLC to offer a special paint color and options for vans being purchased by leasing companies. Then they are leased by owner/operators of Amazons delivery services.
Not uncommon. Very few fleets actually directly "buy" vehicles anymore...it is always done though some sort of leasing scheme vs a capitol purchase so they can fully write off the lease costs vs an asset depreciation. It is all just creative financing, and while they are going to independent contractors on their own leases...the vans are indeed for Amazon even though Amazon will not be on the actual title.

Denny crain

There is another thread wherein a member was told by his dealer back in December that MB was only making (or importing) 4000 4x4's for the 2019 model year.

They may have hit that count.

The aforementioned thread: https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72119

--dick
I was told by my dealer that only 2000 were being made for the US market. Not sure if thats correct but may he why 2020 orders are being taking now. He said their dealership were allocated 29 4x4’s and 21 were spoken for though.

Top Bottom