4x4 T1N front wheel bearing, hub, spindle nut torque

Aussie 2002 4x4

I noticed that both my front wheels had some wheel bearing play and found the adjusting nuts to be pretty much hand tight (could push them around with a screwdriver once the tabs on the locking washer were pushed back).

I could tighten them up and get rid of the play...so that's a good start, but; how tight? Of course the normal workshop manual doesn't go into it because it's a different setup on a 4x4.

So like many before me, I asked Eric who steered me right :thumbup:

Anyway, I wasn't happy with the mangled locking tabs so went down to Mercedes this morning to get a couple. While I was there I asked them to print out the work instruction, which I have attached.

Attachments

M. Reynolds

I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to say thanks for posting this! I just found out that the passenger side wheel had some play on it and being a 4X4 there is not a whole lot of information on it. One question though, is it supposed to be bone dry and rusty underneath the dust cap? I know the not 4x4's have a lot of grease there. I'll attach some pics.

PXL_20210301_090219724.jpg

Boot103

UK 2004 416CDI T1N 4x4 ZG3
I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to say thanks for posting this! I just found out that the passenger side wheel had some play on it and being a 4X4 there is not a whole lot of information on it. One question though, is it supposed to be bone dry and rusty underneath the dust cap? I know the not 4x4's have a lot of grease there. I'll attach some pics.

View attachment 172766
Don't think so. Mine didn't. The manual does not say to pack the grease cap with grease on the 4x4 version. However on the non 4x4 version it does.

Top Bottom