Let's see what happens?

RVCuisineScene

Hi all, two nights ago my check engine light came on and slight power loss in my 2017 3500 4X4, just a little over a year old. I just had the van in for the 20K service two weeks ago in Albuquerque, driven it 300 miles since. I'm spending the winter in Pagosa Springs CO, LOT'S of snow and very cold temps the past 10 days. Mercedes Benz is sending a tow truck to p/u the van this Sunday and transport it 211 miles to the dealer, I called them and they recommended I don't drive the van, especially 200+ miles to ABQ. So let's see what happens, ideas, comments and suggestions are welcomed, thanks.

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
Did you drive significant distances in a single sitting since you arrived in Pagosa?
It could be as simple as the regeneration being interrupted multiple times.
Which would clear, with a 45 minute highway run.

RVCuisineScene

Did you drive significant distances in a single sitting since you arrived in Pagosa?
It could be as simple as the regeneration being interrupted multiple times.
Which would clear, with a 45 minute highway run.
I did drive the 200+ miles from the dealer, and did drive up Wolf Creek pass last week which is a 30 mile one way 3000 vertical foot climb, since then most of my driving has been short distances. The dealership recommended that I don't drive the van, what could I damage?

Is this what you mean?

... The dealership recommended that I don't drive the van, what could I have damaged?
Were there any unusual noises or other symptoms during the drive? If
"no", probably nothing. When serious problems exist the engine management systems have progressing levels of power reduction available.

That said, now that the dealership says don't drive it, then I wouldn't.

:cheers: vic

sailquik

RVCuisineScene:
Is your Sprinter an "up fitted" RV with an add on body or an extensive RV interior (as in HEAVY)?
What is the grade percentage on the Wolf Creek Pass (ummm....I looked it up 6.8%=very steep indeed).
How often did you manually downshift of your trip from the dealer in ABQ to your winter spot in Pagosa Springs?
The OM-642 3.0 liter V6/5G-Troinc 5 speed transmission used in your Sprinter 4x4 requires that you manually
downshift out of 5th gear overdrive (0.83 : 1 ratio) when negotiating grades > ~4%.
Let them transport it back to ABQ and fix it, but remember to manually downshift to keep the RPM in the 2600-3200
range when negotiating the steeper portions of the Wolf Creek Pass on your way back up to Pagosa Springs.
Your Sprinter will thank you and provide much better long range performance and fewer visits to the repair shop.
Hope this helps,
Roger

Motosicko

I have the same van. Engine light came on at about 3000 miles, after I was coasting, off the throttle, down a fairly steep road, Flagstaff Rd in Boulder, for a few miles. I stopped and went through all the solutions in the manual, to try and clear it, but it stayed on and seemed to be down a bit on power, but I got it about 30 miles to home and hooked up my code reader, and it gave me P244B $07E8 Generic code. Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) Differential Pressure Too High. Bank 1. I cleared the code and light went out, and seemed fine. About 2 weeks later I got a letter in the mail from Benz for a recall to reprogram the ECM . Took it in and service advisor told me it was due to a nuisance check engine light issue related to the DPF. Did you get the recall notice? And get it in to take care of?
Now have 15000 miles and haven't had light come on again.

RVCuisineScene

Sailquik, it's a cargo 3500 not heavy, I do manually shift when going up and down the pass, I'm off this afternoon to "see what happens", thanks.

RVCuisineScene

So, the dealer has determined that the DEF lines froze and cracked. The van has been living in Pagosa Springs CO which is located in the southwestern corner of the state. It sits at at an elevation of 7500'. While it did get cold, below zero it was no where near the temperatures experienced in the upper mid-west. So DEF freezes at 12F, what to do? All has been covered by the dealer, waiting today for lines to be delivered and job complete. Comments?

Beer30

Wow that sucks. Glad its covered. Thanks for the update. I was at loveland the other day and it was 0. Now I'm a little scared.
Thanks,
Beer30

RVCuisineScene

They just finished up, replaced the DEF lines as swell as the DEF injector pump, mechanic said I could disconnect the DEF line from the pump letting the DEF drain out which would prevent freezing. Not exactly sure how to address this situation?

RVCuisineScene

So, the mechanic here spoke with another who experienced this problem with the DEF lines inn Montana, line from injector pump will freeze causing the DEF to pump on the heated side into the frozen DEF on the other side of the pump, if that is frozen it will crack the line and or damage the pump. 12F is the freezing point of DEF so what to do, the mechanic here suggested using heat tape to prevent the line from freezing, suggestions?

Rob S

2018 Navion 24G IQ on 2016 Sprinter
If that were really necessary, then there must be thousands of sprinters in the northern areas of US and in Canada which have this problem, and I have never heard of the necessity to add heat tape to the system.

There is certainly no caution in the sales literature saying this vehicle can only be driven at temperatures above 12 degrees

If indeed that were required, they should add it in for you for free to make the emissions system functional in all weather in all areas where it is sold.

I think what happened to you is a one-of and should not happen again under normal circumstances. How close are you to being out of emissions warranty?

RVCuisineScene

I have the 100K warrantee, the mechanic in Albuquerque spoke to one in Montana who did indeed state that it is a problem up there which he frequently encounters. The DEF lines may be cracked and slowly leaking not noticeable to users, I'm going to research more on this, anyone else have ideas?

elemental

Wherever you go, there you are.
RVCuisineScene:
[...]
What is the grade percentage on the Wolf Creek Pass (ummm....I looked it up 6.8%=very steep indeed). [...]
How often did you manually downshift of your trip from the dealer in ABQ to your winter spot in Pagosa Springs?
Ah, Wolf Creek Pass and Pagosa Springs... inspiration for a great song...

Top Bottom