2011-1 MAF Measuring range exceeded after T21 recall

eranrund

Heya,

I'm seeing the above code with my Autel MD802 after having done the T21 recall earlier today. Noticeable lack of power, but the van is still usable. I tried searching the forum but only saw stuff regarding the generic P0101 code (which I am seeing when I do the OBD2 scan). Wondering what Measuring range exceeded means here? Does it narrow down what I should be looking at?

Thanks!

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
IMO You should immediately return to the dealer who performed the recall and let them sort it. The recall says any necessary action after the recall must also be catered for (or words to that effect).

Keith.

IMO You should immediately return to the dealer who performed the recall and let them sort it. The recall says any necessary action after the recall must also be catered for (or words to that effect).

Keith.
x 10.

Do not clear any DTC's. They are needed for you to get any type of corrective repairs covered.

:cheers: vic

vanski

If it’s winter, I’m probably skiing..
Isn’t a MAF error what the recall was intended to catch where the glitch in the firmware wouldn’t catch it before?

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Sounds like your MAF sensor is bad. What does your MAF value read with key-on engine off? What does it read at idle? Is it an OEM/Bosch sensor? Or aftermarket?

I agree that you should return to the dealer that did the recall.

eranrund

Confirming it is 2005. Will check with the dealer and see what they think. Sadly there are 3-4 hours away :(

Last edited:

eranrund

The dealership said it's likely covered by the recall and that I should come back. For those wondering, this is Cole Dodge in San Luis Obispo. The level of service I have received from them is beyond exceptional and make the drive there totally worth it. Will update on Monday after I get back there...

vanski

happy to hear folks from my alma mater are crushing it. same with the van compass guys.. go mustangs!

if you want to save yourself a trip all the way down to SLO I could swap in another MAF for you to see if that makes the code go away (personally I'd make sure this is under the warranty as one of the primary reasons for the t21 recall in the first place was the CEL not coming up when a MAF error occurred). I'm in the SFBA. Just throwing it out there.

Of course this time of year the emerald green hills, gorgeous beaches, and Poly Dolly sightings may make the trip worth it... :))

eranrund

Thanks for the kind offer vanski! Where are you located? I'm currently parked at Mountain View and will likely leave the van here until driving back to SLO on Sunday (I live in SF).
I think the SLO dealership will replace the MAF sensor under warranty but if I can avoid the drive it might be cheaper for me to just pay for the sensor. If you have one lying around we could test with that would be awesome.
Do you think we'll need to clear the codes to perform the test or is the mighty ECU clever enough to do it on it's own after a few restarts?

vanski

I'm in the East Bay, so MV is a bit of a jaunt, but could possibly make it work.. I was thinking I would swap a used one off another Sprinter to see if that takes care of it, and if yes, put in a new one. If it doesn't resolve the issue, yes, another pleasant trip down to SLO would probably be in order.. I have a factory level scanner thus could see immediately via live data if the issue has been resolved.

Private Message me your contact details and we can go from the there..

Chris

michaelyares

2005 2500 158" WB
Thanks for the kind offer vanski! Where are you located? I'm currently parked at Mountain View and will likely leave the van here until driving back to SLO on Sunday (I live in SF).
I think the SLO dealership will replace the MAF sensor under warranty but if I can avoid the drive it might be cheaper for me to just pay for the sensor. If you have one lying around we could test with that would be awesome.
Do you think we'll need to clear the codes to perform the test or is the mighty ECU clever enough to do it on it's own after a few restarts?

You might try HILLTOP DODGE over in Richmond... Since it is all one happy Dodge family?

eranrund

Out of curiosity I'll give them a call tomorrow, but I doubt they'll be willing to clean someone else's mess for free.

eranrund

I ended up going back to Cole at SLO since this was the last weekend I had time to deal with this vehicle in the near future. They replaced the MAF, and shortly after that I was able to pass smog. I could've saved the drive, but I chose to play it safe in case the issue is more complicated than just a sensor replacement. They replaced it for free. If you need to deal with T21 issues and can make the trip there, I'd say go for it. I really enjoyed using their services. They move fast, return calls when they say the would, and take the time to answer questions.

jdsfx

2005 2500 140 short top 97k mi.
T21 update 6 months ago .
mil light after a few hundred miles. autel diag link . downloaded sprinter codes .
P0101. replaced MAF with bosch. ng.
hoses look good ,
cleaned air filter contact cleaner on all electrical connections.
replaced EGR valve ( spring return a little sluggish)
tried disconnecting battery for a few hours, cleaned terminals no change .
I can clear code but comes back on restart.
I have not replaces air box sensor( not avail locally)
any help appreciated

99sport

You probably need a MAF initialization for your new MAF. MAF initialization is not mentioned in any of the service manuals as it only applies post-T21 recall. You need a dealer with the very latest software (an old DRB-iii can't do it). Alternatively SOS diagnostics can probably fix you up. Good luck! (I had the same problem - tried 4 different MAF sensors before calling Dr A and getting the above info. SOS reflashed my ECM since I bricked it with a Xentry clone and everything is working great since)

Top Bottom