2019 144 HR 4x4 Optional Equipment

jkvan

I'm in the process of ordering a 2019 4x4 144 HR from the dealer and plan on building it out as a camper van.

Looking through the equipment book it is pretty lengthy and some items complicated or not very well explained.

Does anyone have an optional equipment list they don't mind sharing with the necessary options they added for a camper van build?

Some are optional preference of course but some such as suspension, a 2nd battery, inverter, swivel seats etc. seem to be 2019 options I would miss when ordering from Mercedes and be disappointed when going to build it out.

Thanks for any input!

Sctn

2019 170 4x4 Crew-SMB West
Depends on your build...but what length of van are you considering and crew or cargo?

I ordered a 2500 4x4 170 crew. Didn’t add the 2nd battery, alternator or inverter...most will be done with build out. I did add spring dampening and vibration absorbers. Ordered option c00, c01,c02, x13, elect e brake for aftermarket seat swivel( can’t order swivel seat w crew), parking assist, soft close door, roof rails...I’m sure I may be missing something. But as far as a build is concerned unless you get an ac for when camping your not going to really need anything specific to make life easier on the build...ord

jkvan

It is the 2500 144 4x4 Crew. Ok thanks. Any other advice on it that I shouldn't miss when ordering?

aksotar

2017 4x4 144 Cargo
Low range, aux fuel tap (for an Espar or Webasto type heater) handle for sliding door (only option I didn't get that I regret) variable idle, downhill speed control, light pkg, heated seats & windows, trailer hitch & tow package, overhead storage, roof rails, cold weather pkg, cruise control, in tank fuel gauge, spring vibration absorbers, seatback pockets, driver comfort pkg, 12v power outlets, active safety pkg w/parking assist, assist handles, leather steering wheel... I have a 144 4x4 HR Cargo, you only have 1 chance at factory options so think of your planned use, needs and build before your final option list is complete....

gltrimble

2017 170 4x4
I ordered most of the options except the roof air conditioner (only works with engine running), and factory radio on my 2016-2 (2017). The radio delete and backup camera pre-wire were fleet options and may no longer be available. X30 low range option got cut off on image below, too many options to fit on one page.

If I did it again I would not order the camera pre-wire (set up for factory radio), and insulation front and rear (worthless). Also, the rear door wipers are of little value if you cannot see out the back.

The sliding door handle was not available when I ordered my crew van. Seems to be standard now. I ordered the parts and installed it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

wquek

Work in progress
This is what I had ordered. I still have an opportunity to make some changes before I confirm the build. For me, what is absolutely essential is the roof rails, hitch, and H12.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DCgasman

MB sent an email to dealer on February 7 saying the variable idle (MT4 option code) is not available. I don't know when it may be available again.

jkvan

Great thanks for info, really helpful! Any reason not to order CB7 or CB8 stabilization and A50 reinforced front axle? Seems like one of these options would make sense if loading it with weight on the build out.

dynaco1

I have ordered the front insulation option H04 in the past. While it is not much of a thermal barrier, it does serve to reduce engine and road noise, which I do appreciate.

wquek

Work in progress
MB sent an email to dealer on February 7 saying the variable idle (MT4 option code) is not available. I don't know when it may be available again.

Do you know if the HY1 is available yet? I understand it’s not.

gltrimble

2017 170 4x4
Great thanks for info, really helpful! Any reason not to order CB7 or CB8 stabilization and A50 reinforced front axle? Seems like one of these options would make sense if loading it with weight on the build out.

The A50 option was not previously available on the 2500 crew van. I would order it since a full build out can easily overload the front axle sooner than the rear axle on a 144. My 170 is at maximum front axle weight but has some capacity remaining on the rear axle. The option does add a few hundred pounds of capacity to the front axle. Not exactly sure what A50 “axle reinforcement” adds to the van. It previously was just a $50 option on the 3500.

Not familiar with the CB7 and CB8 options.

The $300+ you would pay for the insulation options will buy a lot of fat mat or Thinsulate which will do a much better job of noise suppression and insulation than the few pieces of foam the factory installs.

Last edited:

dynaco1

I ordered HY1 on my 2014 build. I was never confident in the programming and preferred
walking outdoors to van to set the switch manually. Maybe it was dumb operator error.

Sctn

Found some more that I felt important...X72 - Crew van 2nd row comfort package. I wanted the reclining 2nd row, I don’t know if it was necessary to order this option to achieve that though...but I don’t want to regret it...better yet I don’t want to hear about it from my kids.

W54 - rear doors open to side wall...this was huge for me, thought it was standard but learned on this forum it is an option w this model. No brainer for me, sprinter will be used primarily as a surf van and it would be such a hassle to have the door at a 90 in a tiny packed parking lot at a surf break.

The fuel gauge optimizer and fuel tank aux tap too. Will be using a diesel hydronic unit.

dynaco1

Whether you have kids or adult passengers, Definitely order option X72 - "Crew van comfort package" to receive reclining seat backs on bench seat. This unique bench seat is not standard equipment on crew.

The package is $520 and includes: three independently reclining seat backs, arm rests on both ends of bench, cup holders beneath seat bottom cushion, electric closing assist for slider door (motor pulls the door against latching post AFTER door is manually closed and eliminates the need to strong-arm the door).

The first picture shows the newer black VF6 Leatherette upholstery. Last two pictures are from a 2019 passenger van with option VF4 Caluma black (with white stripes) cloth upholstery.

Attachments

Last edited:

jkvan

Perfect these are all great tips thanks everyone. Will save me some wish I would have done that... moments!

downunder

jkvan, is it worth considering the higher amperage alternator (220amp) as an additional way of charging your possible camper batteries?
Also, does tinted windows all round appeal? Tint provides a rear window demister if that's of any value? W70 code I think?

Sctn, will your kids want to open a window within the sliding doors? Option W18 for left side door, unsure of code for right side sliding door.
Above codes related to 2018 so may be different for VS30?

Sctn

jkvan, is it worth considering the higher amperage alternator (220amp) as an additional way of charging your possible camper batteries?
Also, does tinted windows all round appeal? Tint provides a rear window demister if that's of any value? W70 code I think?

Sctn, will your kids want to open a window within the sliding doors? Option W18 for left side door, unsure of code for right side sliding door.
Above codes related to 2018 so may be different for VS30?

Downunder...do you have any more info on this option of opening a window? Are you talking about the fixed crew window? What kind of opening is it if so? T vent or slider? I haven’t seen that option but it would save me from wasting a new window by installing an after market window that opens.

downunder

Sctn, sorry that I can't tell you a lot more about it.
Sliding doors often have fixed glass as an option but another option from the factory is a sliding piece of glass within the full sheet of glass.
When it closes it sits exactly flush and looks spot on. The sliding glass also has about 3 stopping points as well. It is not a T vent.
Most dealers are unaware of it but you sometimes see them on passenger type 12 seater Sprinter buses.
Look also at VW Transporters as they often have them, maybe standard, for an idea of what it is.
If you order tinted windows then MB will tint the side glass as well.
I have seen some to be available with the inner sliding window at the rear of the full glass whereas mine is at the frontal area of the full glass.
I don't know if MB does that one but you would ideally order something that fits in with your children's seat position I suppose?
Check out the full option book that runs to hundreds of pages (detail and descriptions). Look for W18 as the code but it may be slightly different in a LHD country, and different for the RH side sliding door?
Also check out Terrawagen website as I think they offer them if you wish to see a photo of what it is.
If I was up to speed I'd photograph mine but no luck there...
Wait a while and some good forum member here will direct you to a full link and or photo I reckon.
Good luck

dynaco1

In case anyone was wondering about Wquek's build sheets in post #6, he has attached MB Canada options. In the US, crew vans cannot be ordered with swivel seat package.

dgravlin

Apologies for the "newbie" questions but I am in the initial stages of ordering a Sprinter 4x4 (170). Two questions: 1) For a build out, what are the advantages of buying the Crew van vs the Cargo? I don't need the additional seats. 2) On the 4x4 version, what exactly is the $7,800 (US) Option entitled "Low & High Range 4x4 Package"? The brief description is that it provides a hi and lo range transfer case. I assume that this allows you to shift between low speed 4wd and normal/high speed 4wd? Is that it? Seems like a very expensive option, and I seldom use the low speed 4wd on my other vehicles.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Top Bottom