2008 NCV3 Cold, No-Crank Issue

Rock

Various posts for TIN Sprinters (by Aqua Putttana and other amazing wizards) indicate a "no crank when cold" issue is caused by a bad starter relay and their post show a location under left, driver, seat.
My stupid question: Where is my 2008 starter relay located? Under the dash or under the left seat?
I just want to carry a spare for cold days.
Thanks,
Rock

showkey

2008 starter relay is in the driver side fuse box.

This is likely the info you referring to.......Sticky info applies to 2008 and newer click no crank especially the Y cable, transmission interlock and solenoid intermittent failures:

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58993

All of the common causes are discussed in the link for all years and models.
The starter relay is rarely the cause, there other relays in the fuse box that are the same that could be swapped. No need to carry an extra.

Many of us carry an extra starter with solenoid as a precaution and have replaced the Y cable with the update version.

Last edited:

Rock

showkey,
Thanks for quick reply. Has been starting OK in this latest warm weather.
I did get an extra $18 relay just to have around. But after looking through the posts you lead me to, I will plan on replacing the Y Cable.
Looks like a bit of work to install.
Thanks again for your help.
Don

Rock

Showkey
Latest result on "No-Crank"
After a -27F night, my 91K mile 2008 would not crank no mater what I did. Tried jumping it after a few warm-up days but no go. Towed to MB in Orland Pk, IL. They found a crack in the plastic terminal cap on the starter solenoid. MD replacement cost = $400 plus $175/hr shop labor.
The "Y" cable was OK although I did install a new unit as precaution.
As you said, good to carry a spare starter but don't go to MB. Amazon has new BOSCH SR0815N for $155.

Attachments

Top Bottom