Need Help with 2008 Dodge Sprinter 3.0 Diesel

Das Boot

I have 2008 Dodge Sprinter with Crank No start Concern but only after sitting all night in cold weather in under 40f temps starts fine in temps above that and I can get it to fire right up with starting fluid with glow plug module unplugged for safety once started it will continue start until another cold soak
What I've done so far check starting system for voltage drop from battery to starter post checks ok ended up replace starter and charging battery , change oil customer was running 15w40 not 5w40. Replace glow plugs and module and the wiring for glow plugs and module check out good check injectors pulse with noid light doesn't turn injectors on when concern happens best I can get for rail pressure is 180 bar and cranking rpm on scan tool 160 - 180 rpm if I unplug the glow plug module I can get it to start right up if I used starting fluid once started will continue to restart. Low side fuel pressure is within spec has 60 psi check fuel delivery volume is 600ml in ten seconds I read that spec is 500ml in 9 seconds. I've been looking through every resource I can find and cannot find a cranking speed spec I had a 2017 in for service cranked on the slow side but it still fired right up. I am out of ideas with this thing thanks in advance for any help given

Last edited:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
If it's any help, the 5 cylinder 2.7L OM647 had a typical cranking speed of about 220 rpm (as measured during scanner-driven compression tests). So your 160 to 180 rpm sounds "reasonable"

There's a full 2007 service manual here: http://www.diysprinter.co.uk/reference/2007-sprinter-service-information.pdf
(with the wiring chapter (8W) here: http://www.diysprinter.co.uk/reference/2007-sprinter-wiring-information.pdf )

If yours was a T1N (instead of NCV3), i'd look at the cam shaft and crankshaft position sensors.
In the T1N, the cam sensor is only used during starting, with the crank sensor being used for running.

If your cam sensor was just a little bit weak, the spray-assisted "cranking" may be enough faster magnetic flux transition to make it work (the same could be said for the crank sensor).

--dick

Last edited:

lindenengineering

From another post:-
First on HPOP delivery @ cranking pressure on a scanner should be between 235 to 245 BAR.

Universal suspicion on any common rail FIE system is through leakage at the injectors as being the culprit.

On the V6 engine first remove the leak off rail from the injector stubs.
Clamp /and pinch down the rubber return lines at the junction block located at the front of the engine near the passenger side head.

Go for a crank and look for the injectors open return stubs doing the Manneken Pis.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manneken_Pis

Normal or good injectors must show just a slight meniscus or hardly any leakage whatsoever
Dennis.

bcislander

'07 Mercedes-badged Dodge
What voltage do you read with the engine running? If the voltage is much less than 14V, that's an indication of a faulty Y-Cable.

The 'infamous' Y-Cable can lead to battery undercharging with subsequent starting problems, especially when the starting system is stressed under cold conditions. Changing out the Y-Cable is a relatively easy and inexpensive DIY fix. The original Y-Cable in 2007-2009 V6 Sprinters is known to be a failure point. A Forum search will yield many 'hits'.

Top Bottom