Fumes coming out of first cylinder

lindenengineering

You have either a loose injector or the copper sealing washer is blown.

You might have an underlying overheating condition which should be examined.
Dennis

markxengineering

Dennis, have you seen this issue damage the sealing surface to the point where a new washer and bolt won't fix it without re-machining? I have not, but have seen exhaust valve seats destroyed for similar reasons. Maybe something to look carefully at before re-assembly

rvnw

I’ll try to replace the hold down bolt and washer. Interestingly enough I just replaced the thermostat b/c it was stuck open, but it wasn’t going beyond a bit above 180F.

markxengineering

rvnw, if you have not already searched the forum for tips on injector removal, that would be helpful too. It is possible for them to stick and then easy to damage on removal depending on how aggressive you are forced to become.

lindenengineering

Dennis, have you seen this issue damage the sealing surface to the point where a new washer and bolt won't fix it without re-machining? I have not, but have seen exhaust valve seats destroyed for similar reasons. Maybe something to look carefully at before re-assembly
Yes I have seen them burnt but the heads were scrap due to excessive warp/cracking & heat distress so they were unusable anyway.

Incidentally the 4 cylinder OM651 no has thicker injector washers available for seat recovery compensation. These will fit older engines.
Dennis

lindenengineering

A tip!
Get the engine warm, then loosen ONE injector bolt two revolutions and let the engine run until the thing start emitting heavy gases & misfiring. Once the injector is bouncing up and down like the sugar plum fairy snug up the bolt and move on to the next injector and do on.

Once they are all seen to bounce remove every everything and pull them while the engine is hot .
I use an old injector pipe as a pulling handle.
Dennis

Rickpcmp3

2005 158" Cargo FedEx
lindenengineering; said:
...like the sugar plum fairy
Dennis, not always, but sometimes I can expect for your writing style to bring a smile to my face, amidst what at times is laborious reading on this forum. ?

rvnw

Thanks for the tip. I take it that it just makes sense to replace all the washers and tie down bolts? Do I need to drop the OM612 engine to get the 5th cylinders injector out? If so and good pointer how to do it.

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
...I take it that it just makes sense to replace all the washers and tie down bolts?
Actually seal (copper washer) and bolt replacement is MANDATORY!!!

The seal is the part which fails and hence requires replacement.

The bolt is 'Torque to Yield' so must never be reused as it will not exert the correct clamping force second time and may actually stretch too far and shear.

Read up on some of the excellent posts on here before attempting repair.

Keith.

rvnw

So I thought I read up on the posts and watched some videos but when I loosened the hold down screw coolant came out of the hole. I had the engine nice and warm... Is this normal or a sign of other problems?

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
Um... no. Not normal, but how bad that is is beyond my pay grade.
I’d suspect something like a cracked valve cover, but didn’t think coolant circulated above the head.
Is it a productive leak (volume under pressure) or a weeping?
Are you the first one in there? (is the sealing surface down the bore still textured or has it been cut smooth by someone?)
Possible that someone stripped threads then botched the subsequent repair...

(ever seen this, Dennis??)

-dave

rvnw

When I removed the bolt it was spewing out. Didn’t have a pan under it since I didn’t think it would happen. Seems like a lot came out but then stopped.

lindenengineering

Um... no. Not normal, but how bad that is is beyond my pay grade.
I’d suspect something like a cracked valve cover, but didn’t think coolant circulated above the head.
Is it a productive leak (volume under pressure) or a weeping?
Are you the first one in there? (is the sealing surface down the bore still textured or has it been cut smooth by someone?)
Possible that someone stripped threads then botched the subsequent repair...

(ever seen this, Dennis??)

-dave
Dave
Yes i have
Generally it means someone has been in there and done some sort of remedial thread pocket repair/ recovery drilling too deep into the head casting and penetrating the cooling jacket.

Its recoverable in some cases by inserting an extra long 6x1 nutsert into the hole plugging the end with Vic's favorite "gobwack" JB Weld!:laughing:

Dennis

rvnw

Dave
Yes i have
Generally it means someone has been in there and done some sort of remedial thread pocket repair/ recovery drilling too deep into the head casting and penetrating the cooling jacket.

Its recoverable in some cases by inserting an extra long 6x1 nutsert into the hole plugging the end with Vic's favorite "gobwack" JB Weld!:laughing:

Dennis
Do you happen to have a link to the parts needed or links to instructions? Never done a nutsert before, but want to get the injector seal fixed.

Top Bottom